Does humidifying shuttles effect the base?

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by Kernowboy, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Kernowboy

Kernowboy Regular Member

Social services
    I've never humidifued shuttles before, and as shuttles are so expensive, I am reluctant to do so if it is not needed or incase I reck them etc.

Does humidifying shuttles cause the cork base to soften? If so would this not negate the benefit of trying to extend the life of the shuttle as the feel will be all wrong....?

Or is humidifying just for very old shuttles or in very hot countries?

Advice gratefully recieved.:confused:

2. noppy

noppy Regular Member

student
    Hi,

i use SOTX shuttles and i do one of two things to them, atmo with the current batch i keep them in my cold damp garage, in a cuboard with water at the bottom or when im being lazy and cant be bothered to sort the garage out, i keep them in the house and 2 days before i used them i on the end and stick it above the kettle and hold it and let the steam go up the tube when i can see steam coming out the top i flip it and steam the other way up only for say 20 seconds max each side.

This makes them last much long than a ones just kept in the house/warm room id say we (club) use half as many shuttls when there steamed/kept in a damp/cold place.

This doesnt affect the shuttle speed/ path IMO, just makes them last longer, why dont you try one tube and see how you feel with them. and the cork base wont soften

3. krisss

krisss Regular Member

As long as you do not over-humidify or as I like to call it roast them , the cork should be fine :D

4. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

humidifying helps so much, you wouldnt believe. Its not going to make a shuttle perform any better as far as flight path goes, but it easily improves durability. You cant put a specific number on it, such as "improves 50% durability" but for what we're all spending now on shuttles, I have to say, this is easily worth your time to do.

5. Kernowboy

Kernowboy Regular Member

Social services
    Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try.

I have a few Carlton GT2's left which are rubbish and quite brittle - that should be a good test! (Not gettin them again - probably gettin Wilson Topline 100's - Ashaway Internat or RSL no1).

However, if the shuttles are quite new and the natural oil from the feather is still present, how would the water get into the feather?

Doesn't matter I guess - as long as it works.

6. weinsteinium

weinsteinium Regular Member

If you have old shuttles it can make a huge difference. I'd say that steaming doubled or trippled the durability of my last set of shuttles. I had to steam them several times before the durability was good (like every two days for a week)

Before that the durability was really bad so I think that they must have been really old and dry.

7. illusionistpro

As far as technique of steaming ive started to try a different method since i do mine over a pot of boiling water. Ideally a tea kettle would be best. What i do is i empty all the shuttles first on the counter. then I stick one up into the tube and hold that over the steam for 15 seconds. Every 15 seconds i pop another shuttle in there from the bottom so each gets a good blast. Then once ive steamed them all ill cap the top, get some more steam in there than cap the bottom. Leave it on its side for 2 days and they're great.

I actually stopped steaming for a while since i would usually buy one tube at a time. Now im gonna bulk order and steam a few at a time.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i am more lazy than illusionistpro.

i use a cold mist humidifier (a kettle also works). i open up both end of the tube, leaving all the shuttle inside. hold the tube vertical over the steam/mist outlet, feeding the steam/mist from the bottom up. when i see steam/mist coming out of the top. i quickly close both cap and leave the tube horizontally for a few hours.

seems to work for me.

9. weinsteinium

weinsteinium Regular Member

I've been doing the same thing over a kettle. I think that a cold mist humidifier would work better but I don't have one. Actually a warm mist humidifier should work also (it cools the steam down some so it would probably be better than a kettle).

The other thing that I've done is use the steam wand on my espresso machine. When I hold the tube over the kettle it seems like the mist doesn't actually make it all the way through the tube. Because the steam wand is pressurized it blasts the steam through.

10. illusionistpro

All are great methods. Dont forget though, the idea is to moisturize the feathers so they are not dry and brittle. Blasting steam through the tube, may work as long as enough moisture get left in the tube to hydrate the feathers. I recently picked up a high quality humidifier which will make steaming this next bulk order a breeze. :) I think the next thing i need to do is find a good storage place for my shuttles. Maybe get a opaque rubbermaid box and keep a damp cloth in there. The dark plastic should keep light out and mold from growing.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    put it in the bathroom. the moisture generated from daily shower (i hope it is daily.. ;) ) is sufficient to keep it moist.

12. illusionistpro

Yea, I read about that, but who has room for a dozen tubes of shuttles in their bathroom? Besides its unsightly to have that in there dont you think? Maybe I should just fill the rubbermaid with steam, and leave the tubes uncapped.

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    some bathroom has a storage area underneath the sink. some, not all.