Suggestion for a birthday gift (Racket)

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Mikael, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    A lady in my familly is celeberating her 60 years birthday, and her wish is a new racket, but what to buy?

So her age is of course 60, and her level is about C or B minus, she is playing 2-3 times a week (including small local tournaments), and she plays double and mixdouble.

She plays with a RSL millenium 4 head racket, which she have been satisfied with, but now she think it is time to try something, maybe a little better, so that as she says "can really smash", whatever that means!

She have tried a Yonex nanospeed, sc m.c60, 5000, (and some other numbers), but she was very disappointed with it, and keep returning to the RSL racket. She says about the Yonex, "that it does not feel right", and that it is kind of to heavy!!! (Thought nanospeed was light?!?).

Further more, she said that she have been told that "Forza" also makes some good rackets!!!

She don't know what tension she use, so she is not that much into it, but still she deserve a good racket, but of course buying one for expert level, would be waste of money! In think the budget could be around 800-1.200 kr. (danish money) depending on how many will join for the gift!

Please, any suggestions?

2. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    i am waiting for Yonex Arc Saber 10 ........ :D

ok... jokes aside.
    currently using RSL racket, why not get her new model of RSL? X2 Blue might suit her. lightweight and less stiff. :)

3. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Thanks

Well I don't know much about rackets, but I thought that Arc Saber 10 was only for pro's ;) :D (Well, maybe not a good idea to make fun of one from which U ask for help.... jokes aside):

You say that X2 is less stiff, but at their homepage it says "Tapered X - Stiff"???

4. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    if some one wants to give me a birthday present, of course i will prefer Arc10. expensive. cant play well, at least, look good while using......:D

X2 Blue actually is not that stiff as compare to yonex "stiff" definition. may go for X2 SP too. ;)

5. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Well or maybe the FP, it is only 79-80 gram!!! And that is the point how to choose? I think that the age is important, concerning power I don't think that she will improve much the following years!!!

6. 12etsam

12etsam Regular Member

Student
    Kason Carvel
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250385309760

[COLOR=black][COLOR=black][FONT=Arial][COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=red][FONT=Arial][FONT=arial][COLOR=black][COLOR=black][FONT=Arial][COLOR=black][FONT=Arial][COLOR=black][FONT=Arial][COLOR=#ff0000][FONT=Arial][COLOR=red][FONT=Arial][FONT=arial][COLOR=black][COLOR=black][FONT=Arial][COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=red][FONT=Arial][FONT=arial][COLOR=black][COLOR=black][FONT=Arial][COLOR=black][FONT=Arial][COLOR=black][FONT=Arial][SIZE=4][COLOR=#ff0000] Kason CARVEL U4 Badminton Racket

[COLOR=#000000][COLOR=red][FONT=Arial][COLOR=red][FONT=Arial][COLOR=red][FONT=Arial][COLOR=red][FONT=Arial][COLOR=red][FONT=Arial][COLOR=red][FONT=Arial][COLOR=red][FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]HTS CARBON FIBER[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=red][FONT=Arial][COLOR=red][FONT=Arial][COLOR=red][FONT=Arial][COLOR=red][FONT=Arial][COLOR=red][FONT=Arial][COLOR=red][FONT=Arial][COLOR=red][FONT=Arial][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=4]CUSHION GRIP[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=red][FONT=Arial][COLOR=red][FONT=Arial][COLOR=red][FONT=Arial][COLOR=red][FONT=Arial][COLOR=red][FONT=Arial][COLOR=red][FONT=Arial][COLOR=red][FONT=Arial] [FONT=Arial][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=4]Material: 100% HTS Carbon [/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=4]Weight: 5U (75-79g)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=4]Length: 675+/-1mm
    Balance Point: 295mm-305mm
    Shaft Flex: Flexible [/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=4]String Tension: Main 16-20 Lbs.(8-9 kg), Gross 18-22 Lbs.(9-10kg)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=4]Cover included: Yes [/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=4]Stringing: strung [/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=4]Condition: Brand New[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial][COLOR=#000000][SIZE=4][COLOR=#000000]Player Type: control player[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]

7. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Balance point??? What does this mean?

Anyway, thanks but I think that I will stick to either Forza or RSL, also theese rackets I have access to in the stores in DK!

8. 12etsam

12etsam Regular Member

Student
    i think the higher the balance point, the head heavier it is

9. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    - and the head heavier it is, the greater momentum?

10. MaZnFLiP

MaZnFLiP New Member

I'd believe so since you would smash harder with a head heavy racket.

11. what07

what07 Regular Member

Age 60, Level C to - B, 2 to 3 times a week, Mixed/doubles, birthday gift.

Well if Arc10 isn't a go. Howabt a Arc9????? I would love to swing that thing even tho I'm a guy. Also head heavy racquets would make the racquet seem heavier then it actually is. But for smashing it's better then head light [nanospeed].

12. NaVdEep

NaVdEep Regular Member

Business Owner
    Get her a NANOSPEED 9900, best racket in the Nanospeed series ever.

13. warlock110

warlock110 Regular Member

that's true, it feels heavier because of physics, the weight at the tip will weight more than the weight closer to the source (your hand). So when they do the overall weight of the racket, head heavy racket might be low weight, but it'll require more energy to lift and swing/stop.

14. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    A 60 year old female will have NO chance of generating power out of NS9900.

15. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Thanks for info and suggestions. I visit her yesterday and I tried both her rackets, and I could not feel the weight difference! Maybe the difference of tension, made her think the racket was bad! Anyway her statements does not make sense, she wants a lighter racket, but with more power!!!

I have looked at Forza's homepage and compared to the other competitors, their informations about rackets is much better. Also in the stores in DK their is a lot of Forza rackets to choose from, which mean that she could easily exchange it (just a little more expensive to buy in a shop)!

They have a lady line which I think could be interesting: http://viewer.zmags.com/showmag.php?magid=88903#/page14/

Lady Power light! - What do you think?

BTW: she is not a little lady, if that makes a difference!

16. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

#16 demolidor, Mar 22, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2009