Can Malaysia win the WC?

Discussion in 'World Championships 2009' started by Pemuda, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Dear Boleh fans,

Ok, LCW finally won away from home as the MS WR1, he also finally managed to beat LD convincingly yesterday too.

KKK/TBH as well won the SO MD too.

Well, judging from all the feel good postings I see being plastered all over the forum, allow me to ask you all a question; can we win our first WC this year?

Ok, time to walk the talk now, lets have a specific answer rather than the usual "i hope LCW or KKK/TBH will win", "I will pray n hope very hard", "If the draw is good" etc etc.

Can we win the WC for the first time this year? Yes or no?

Allow me then to start the ball rolling with my prediction...

I will say 'No'.

Why??

For the MS, though LCW beat LD yesterday, I am yet to be convinced that LCW can deliver on the big stage. And it will be a different LD come the WC than the one we saw last night.

MD, I think the usual Malaysian temperament will set in i.e. win one tournament, they will lose their heads and will come crashing down next.

WS,WD,XD ... with respect, lets hope they show up in nice matching badminton kits.

Again, lets lay em' cards all on the table. Can Malaysian win its first WC this year? Yes or no?

Oh yes ... one more thing before I forget, Malaysia Boleh to you lot!

2. epaphroditus

epaphroditus Regular Member

Answer is capable of, but mostly likely NOT!

3. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    5 months to go. is this pre-heat discussion?

4. JasonMichael

JasonMichael Regular Member

IT consultant
    lava has to flow under the mountain before the mountain erupts ! :)

5. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Owh..quite early!

I guess we shud wait first. Now, no matter how unprepared or unconvincing we look, c'mon. Work on that. Do not simply say can't.
    5 months is not too long to build the best team, neither too short for that.

6. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    There's a lot of action in store before the 2009 World Championships.

India Open - Grand Prix Gold - March 2009
    Asian Badminton Championships - April 2009
    Sudirman Cup - May 2009
    Philippines Open - Grand Prix Gold - June 2009
    Singapore Open - Super Series - June 2009
    Indonesia Open - Super Series - June 2009
    Thailand Open - Grand Prix Gold - June 2009

I'd hesitate to place any bets before at least the Sudirman Cup is over ;)

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

I think..

..Pemuda is planning to have this thread as the most posted and viewed thread in his collection of "Can M'sia Win or Boleh at (such & such tourney)?' threads..;)

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    No i think he's trying to burn off the excessive boleh energy gradually so that when WC time comes, the bolehians will be exhausted:p

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^I calculated..^^

..the "Can M'sia Boleh at the AE?" thread, as it was started about 1 month ago and it has already garnered over 500+ posts. If the M'sia squad keeps on winning in the subsequent tourneys, can you say over 2000+ posts by the end of this yr's WC (500 posts/month times 5 months)??..:eek::confused:

10. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    So that there will be no pressure on LCW and he will coast to the WC title? :D:rolleyes:

11. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Hmm ... think about this then ... the London Olympics is like 4 years away and we recently did a jamboree about winning our first gold there. So, what is 5 months?

Are you saying you dont have confidence in our MS WR1, LCW and KKK/TBH?? or the rest of the shuttlers??

12. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

The intention of this thread is not to rake up number of postings. Personally, I dont need such an injection of steroids to boost up my ego.

And please dont say that this thread is too early as the WC is 5 months away or etc. If we can proudly declare that we will win our first OG gold in 2012, then whats wrong with this thread with the WC being 5 months away? And furthermore, 5 months is not a very long time.

If we are super confident, and I see many feel good postings after the SO, my question is, can we win our first WC this year? From what I have been reading recently, many are saying that LCW have finally turned the tide against LD, have unlocked the secret to beat LD and our KKK/TBH are indeed on the up, as such my question is can we then win the WC this year for the first time??

The WC was started in 1977, if I am not wrong. And todate shuttlers from China, Indonesia, Denmark, Korea, England, Sweden, Japan & USA have won it. Imagine 32 years and we, a so-called badminton powerhouse nation have yet to win this major title? Since we now have a WR1 MS in LCW and our KKK/TBH are on the up can we win the WC for the first time this year?***

*** A Yes or No answer is required

13. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Can? Yes.
    Will? No.

14. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Can i have it in bigger font, please? Thank you.

Yes or No.Why don't play safe?
    Do not set the target as early as 5 months before.
    Now, Both answer of yes or no will only feed the endless tradition in this BC.

Judging from the Swiss Open,LCW and KKK/TBH are able to beat anyone.Thank God they proved that to me.
    Who can predict how'd they be in 5 months time?
    I learned from Malaysia's past failures and won't repeat the same thing.
    My job is to support, and that's it.

You will see me cheering for them again, but i would not be so confident without strong argument to support my 'predictions'.

15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

How about??..

...i think we're missing a poll for this thread...Perhaps the mods can graciously provide a poll and have the BCers vote, yes or no??..:cool:

16. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Yes!!! Lets have a poll here!

Mods ... Oldhand/Drifit, can we have some service here please?? Can you guys set up some poll so that we can all cast our votes??

Service ... please.

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    a bit harsh.

objectively, i think:

can? yes.
    will? maybe.

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    will it be fruitful to have a poll?

do you honestly think the pollsters will be objectively thinking whether MAS can/will win the WC, or will the poll really just a poll on the quantity of MAS vs. non-MAS supporters?

19. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    My vote - We don't need a poll.

20. badMania

badMania Regular Member

The boss has voiced out his opinion ;)

I tend to agree with his assessment too.

As a WR1 player, Lee Chong Wei CAN and HAS THE CAPABILITY to win the World Championships. Not to mention, he's perhaps one of the only few players that can stop Lin Dan winning 3 consecutive WC titles.

Likewise, at their best, Koo Kien Keat/Tan Boon Heong CAN BEAT any top pairs. They have shown that in the Swiss SS (Fu/Cai and Boe/Mogensen) and in the Super Series Masters (Kido/Hendra and Jung/Lee), so, they too CAN WIN the WC this year.

However, the question of will they (or in fact past champions like Lin Dan or Kido/Hendra) eventually win the tourney is dependant on many factors. The luck of the draw is definitely an important one. Whether or not they are fit to compete in the tourney is another factor. Last minute injuries can hit players (unfortunately) ;) It's pointless to say xxx WILL WIN the WC this year, only to see that that player/pair getting benched for injuries, right?

Even Li Yongbo cannot predict outright that his WS and WD players WILL DEFINITELY WIN the WC this year, despite the fact that they are the overwhelming favorites :rolleyes: Just look at Kim Dong Moon/Ra Kyung Min or Lin Dan in the Beijing Olympics 2004. Records and form said they are the overwhelming favorites the Gold Medals (esp the Korean pair). But, the actual results turned out to be otherwise. Both exited the tourney early, to everyone's surprise :eek: