Stress of a game

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jpazn23, Mar 17, 2009.

1. jpazn23

jpazn23 Regular Member

Student
    Sry I didn't know where to put this tread :p.I need help guys.:confused: I play on my high school team and have just about beat everyone on the team except for my coach and the no.1 seed on my team.(Not trying to boast, it leads to my question). Some how when I play a league game I seem to forget every thing I have learned and am really slowed down on the court. I play fine in regular games, but not league.:crying::crying: I don't think I'm nervous I got over that problem. I assume that I pressure myself to much to win during the game, but I really have no clue. Any of you experts have any theories? Thanks :D

2. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

You're just more comfortable playing regular games and not pressured league games. I found myself playing differently than I would normally because my mentality when it came to playing league games changed. Regular games to me are for fun and I honestly could care less if I won or not, just playing was enough for me. Also playing unfamiliar players is probably giving you a psychological disadvantage (assuming when you say regular games, you're only playing your teammates).

By the way, which high school do you play for? You can either post it here or send me a pm.

3. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    in all honesty the best way is to keep the same mentality during social/fun games compared with competition/league games.

EG Serious 100% effort in both.

Or treat both as fun.

This will keep your gameplay consistant. Chopping and changing does no good for you.
    Unless you are able to control your emotions and mentality to adjust to consistant play in whatever situation.

Which believe me takes years of experience and practice.

4. jpazn23

jpazn23 Regular Member

Student
    Thx guys for your advice. I recently came down with a bad cold so my performance is now affected by that also. I will try to keep my mentality the same and keep my cool when I get better. You guys wouldn't have any tips for keeping my cool by the way?

5. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Play against more strangers (open gym). If you play open gym, you'll notice that people will watch your games because they have nothing else to do but wait till you finish. It might help you get used to playing against people you're not familiar with and in front of other people.

6. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    when you treat a regular game like a big match, you treat a big match like a regular game.

7. jpazn23

jpazn23 Regular Member

Student
    Thx. I had a game yesterday and even though I lost I felt pretty clam throughout the game and was able to hit alot better. The score was closer that any of my past games. I think I know the reason why I lost but Im going to post it as new thread.