Lead Tape

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by 12etsam, Mar 18, 2009.

1. 12etsam

12etsam Regular Member

Student
    can lead tape be added to the handle, then put an overgrip on it? will it affect the balance point? will it even feel normal?

2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Many people do this. It's more common in tennis than in badminton but I know some people who do it. I always add lead to the heads of my rackets but the process will be similar for the handle. If you could take the butcap of the racket off, maybe you could fit some lead and then replace the cap over it. You could just put it on the handle itself and put an overgrip on it though.

3. 12etsam

12etsam Regular Member

Student
    it would still feel ok right? also, do u no how to remove the buttcap? i tried, but i stopped because i didnt want to ruin my racket

4. Danstevens

Student
    It'd feel fine. The balance would change though (obviously) and it'd take some adjustment to get completely right.

5. 12etsam

12etsam Regular Member

Student
    thanks for the answers!

6. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Will the grip feel wierd after you appy the lead tapes? i understand that leadtape comes in stripes. So, on the grip, there will be parts that are bulging out? correct me if i am wrong.:)

7. Danstevens

Student
    It shouldn't. Lead tape isn't that thick and providing it was applied well (maybe under the butcap is a better place for it), covering it with an overgrip (which you would obviously do) would probably cover up any sense of it. Applying it under the butcap is the best idea as it will give most BP movement and won't affect the handle.

8. 12etsam

12etsam Regular Member

Student
    do u no how to take the buttcap off?

9. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    The butt cap are usually stapled with nails, am i right to say that? Just pluck the staples/nails out, and the butt cap will be out.:)

10. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    I see. Thanks danstevens:) the handle has 8sides right? so the user has to apply on 4sides to even out the racket? because if the user were to stick one, or two only, the racket weight will be off?please correct me if i am wrong:)

For example- the user has to put it on 1-3-5-7 to even out the weight, but if he puts only on 1-5, the racket weight will be weird. is that right?

Attached Files:

#10 Sgbad, Mar 18, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  11. 12etsam

12etsam Regular Member

Student
    my butt cap doesnt have any nails or staples i think T.T
    can anyone show me a picture?

12. DonnyGan

DonnyGan Regular Member

Logistics
    i'm thinking of adding lead tape to my MPLimited. anyone knows where can i get it in SG?

13. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Try tennis stores, they should have it. I think my friend got it from a shop at old airport road.

14. 12etsam

12etsam Regular Member

Student
    i would put it on 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 lol

15. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    The balance would change, but the swingweight would be the same. In other words, it wouldn't make the racket any more maneuvrable, which is normally the reason people like head-light rackets.

16. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    As long as you understand that your racquet will become more head light, then it's fine.

17. weinsteinium

weinsteinium Regular Member

When I tailweighted my racquet I put strips of lead tape at 1-3-5-7 like you suggested. First I removed the factory grip and I added the lead tape directly to the wooden handle and then I re-gripped it. The lead tape is really thin and you can't feel it at all. In order to make the swingweight stay the same, the lead tape should be added right at the axis of rotation (or where the racquet pivots in your grip). I took a couple of practice swings and then marked that on the wooden handle.
    [​IMG]
    I took off the end cap to look around any my racquet had some sort of plug in the hole there. I think that adding the lead tape to the wooden handle is a better idea than trying to shove it inside the handle or adding it under the end cap (which would increase the swingweight of the racquet slightly because the added swingweight is the mass you added times the square of the distance from the axis of rotation. So added mass below the axis of rotation also increases swingweight).

Right, it's important to understand that you can't make a racquet lighter or make it have a lower swingweight unless you REMOVE material. What you end up with is a racquet that has basically the same swingweight but a heavier static weight.

The idea in tennis is to help the racquet resist the momentum of the tennis ball by adding to it's inertia. The balance of power is very different in tennis with a the ball weighing 5oz and racquets weighing 9-14oz. The ball literally pushes the racquet back when you return a hard hit (like a serve).

In badminton the birdie weighs 5g and racquets weigh 84-91g so the birdie doesn't push the racquet back as much.

That said, I took a racquet that was 85g and 285mm balance unstrung and and 91g and 285mm when strung and overgripped and added 6g of lead tape to the handle. So now it weighs 97g racquet and has a balance of 268mm. When I play with it, it feels like the same racquet that it was before, but more so. It's just as easy to move around for quick shots but I feel that I have a little extra power on those quick drives. And when I do attacking clears I feel like the I feel less resistance or impact from the birdie. The sensation is like I'm cleaving through the birdie. The effect is that I can hit it just as far with less effort. So in that sense the power of the racquet has been improved. It doesn't seem to have any effect on my smashes though.

All in all I would call it a success and say that it is a pretty easy way to get an improvement in power (or lessened resistance from the birdie) without becoming head heavy or harder to maneuver. I'd just like to point out that I did this with a relatively light and easy to maneuver racquet.

If you tried the same thing with a racquet that was already maxing out your ability to maneuver then the extra static weight may make a difference. Caveat emptor. YMMV. IMHO and all that.

18. 12etsam

12etsam Regular Member

Student
  19. weinsteinium

No, the racquet will be heavier although it's swingweight will be about the same. There is NO way to make a racquet lighter without removing material.

If you want a lighter racquet you will have to buy one that is lighter. What are you playing with right now?

There are lots of light racquets available and they are mostly pretty affordable:

Sotx LG series
    Sotx Woven 6
    Karakal M-tec 70-80
    Kason Carvel or Excel or Legerity
    Black Knight Superlights

20. weinsteinium

That's golf lead tape, I bought tennis lead tape. It's setup so that one inch is either 1/4g, 1/2g or 1g depending on the lead tape.

I don't understand golf swingweight numbers but it looks like 1" of that lead tape is 1g so you could definitely use it.