No more Candra/Tony

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Adel, Feb 10, 2001.

1. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    I read from the China Badminton webpage that the PBSI has decided to split Tony Gunawan and Candra Wijaya up. They'll be returning to their respective partners, ie. Sigit Budiarto and Haryanto Halim respectively. I'm depressed... coz they were one of my favourite pairs. Seems like the decision was made just recently.

Cheung, if you're reading this, you were right after all...

SIGH...... =(

2. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I hate this decision. Candra and Tony make a great pair. So do Sigit and Halim. If both the pairings are split, both of their rankings will drop. Now that their already so high in the doubles rankings, it would be better if they just left it as it is.

3. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    btw, it was Candra and Sigit, Tony and Halim.

4. mongoose

mongoose Regular Member

What??? Looks like I've got to change my name soon!!
    Seriously, although Candra & Sigit make a great pair (power game and hyper speed), I've always admired the way Tony & Candra play together (the balance between Candra's power game and Tony's touch play). That's what IMHO separates them from the other doubles pairs in the world (except maybe the Malaysian pair Lee & Choong).

5. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    Sorry to go off topic a little, what does IMHO stand for? And what exactly does PBSI stand for? I know its the Indonesian Badminton Association but what does PB stand for? Anyone here Indonesian?

6. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    PBSI is short form for Badminton Assn in Indonesia in Bahasa Indonesia.... *doh*
    I dunno Indonesian but the B apparently is Bulutangkis which means badminton (I hope).

And yes, I hate the decision too... I mean damnit... it takes time for ppl to click even if they're the world's best shuttlers. I remember reading this JKT post interview with Tony/Candra and they were talking abt how they had to overcome their feelings to play together (Tony felt he was betraying Halim and Candra thought he was dumping Sigit). Then Tony was feeling very inferior coz Candra was the world champ (97) and he was nothing. I think they went thru a lot to get this far and the last thing you should do is to split them up... maybe I'm reading too much into it but it's like Tony is juz being a substitute for Sigit in forming the world's top pair. And now that they've accomplished the mission of winning at Sydney, they decide to dump him.... Sorry I'm rambling.... I like Tony a lot.

As for Sigit, apparently there's some grapevine abt him feeling very uncomfortable everytime ppl ask him when he'll play with Candra again (after the drug ban and all). I dunno if this decision is gonna benefit him at all...

S***.

7. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    I can speak Indonesian almost fluently and i'm not stupid. I know that PBSI is obviously in Indonesian because its the Indonesian badminton association. Thats why i asked if anyone was Indonesian.

Hopefully, the partnerships will vary a bit. Like in the Malaysian open Tony was pairing with Rexy, and Candra was pairing up with Eng Hian. Btw, Bulutangkis is Indonesian for Badminton

8. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Sorry, my msg wasn't meant to be more offensive. I was saying doh to myself, not anybody else...

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    just look at these players individual style.
    Obviously all are extremely talented. The most talented is Sigit. But like all very, very talented players, there is an element of inconsistency. The inconsistency also extends to Halim whose strength is a very severe attack.

Maybe PBSI decision is to try and pair up the (relatively) inconsistent players with the more consistent ones(Candra and Tony). Hence the original pairings again.
    Candra and Tony IMHO have better control over the mental aspects of the game.

Indonesian doubles shows it has superb depth yet again. They will be the backbone of the next Thomas cup competition.

10. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
  11. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    Why would the PBSI want to split up Candra and Tony when their already doing so well? I mean, even if their partners felt like although they were being dumped, Sigit and Halim are ranked higher than Candra and Tony. Breaking up the 2 pairs will make the 2 pairings of Candra/Tony and Sigit/Halim drop.

12. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Your analysis certainly makes sense. I guess I got carried away, seeing one of my favourite pairs being split. But I had a weird feeling it was gonna happen, even prior to them winning the Olympic gold. Looks like my sixth sense isn't too bad after all... this is like the hundredth time I thought sth was gonna happen and it did.

Can't say the same for my EQ though.... to Byro-Nenium, here's an apology once again for that incredibly rude msg. Honestly I had no idea how bad it sounded until I read it again *look of embarrassment* ... No hard feelings, I hope?

13. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    No problem. I dont see any point in getting mad about it anyway. I shouldn't have got offended in the first place.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

But it would only be a temporary drop.

When would the best timing for breaking up a doubles combination be?
    The Grand Prix finals entries have already been decided. For the World championships the world ranking doesn't matter. Only the seedings depend on the world ranking.

So the next time world ranking matters will be to enter end of this yr's world GP Finals.

15. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Yup. And since they're such gd players, they should be able to rise in the world rankings in no time at all. If I'm not wrong, Halim and Sigit got into the top 10 within a few mths of playing together. And Tony and Candra took less than a yr to become world no 2 (that was in 1999).

Here's wishing both new pairs all the best.

Btw, to an earlier query on Ricky Subagja, he's partnering Antonius for the All-England. At least that's what badmintonasia.com said.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Denny Kantono probably didn;t have the fitness to keep going on. His fitness was already suspect a couple of years ago. Antonius with Ricky, that's interesting. Will look forward to seeing their performance.

17. MYSRH

MYSRH Guest

PBSI

PBSI = Persatuan Bulutangkis Seluruh Indonesia

18. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Actually Denny has already retired... he did so slightly before Arbi. It's a bit weird, I think... Ricky and Rexy has already become a household name, like erm.... Ge Fei and Gu Jun????

19. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    Re: PBSI

Terima Kasih