Playing better under pressure?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by dennis913, Mar 20, 2009.

1. dennis913

dennis913 Regular Member

Student
    Hi I would like to ask why i play better under pressure, like at the semis of a tournement. Even if i try to stay focused in a reacreational game, i cannot play at the same level. I played at a tournement recently and i could see my smashes from the backcourt straight down the line, and back hands all the way to the back line or crazy jump smashes.

However, my friends were shocked that i won because i never become serious when we play recreational. They doubt i played that well. Therefore what im asking is how do i play at the level i play under pressure, without being under pressure? Is it all mentality? Do i have to stay focused and keep myself pumped? What's the secret!

2. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Are you awake now? :rolleyes:

3. dennis913

dennis913 Regular Member

Student
    Is that really relevant to what im asking? LOL
    I'm awake now though.

4. krisss

krisss Regular Member

I think it is purely mental attributes.

One of my coaches is the nicest guy I have ever known (while not coaching - when coaching is evil lol) but when he gets on court he is a demon!

The only way to get better is by training hard even when playing games.

You have to imagine every game your playing is the finals.

Its hard - but is very good and will improve your game :D

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    everybody react to pressure differently.
    rumor has that BCL tense up when he can't find his cellphone.

#5 cooler, Mar 20, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  6. Script

Script Regular Member

You won guy's doubles at Fraser? O_O

7. WhiteRice94

WhiteRice94 Regular Member

slacker
    im the opposite. Over the years i've been playing i realize that i will totally get destroyed when playing under pressure. When im in a tournament every match i jus pretend its a casual game and i totally play better, but that's just me

8. bellyjeans

bellyjeans Regular Member

University Student
    I personally play better when I am tired... so what I do is go on the tread mill or whatever machine in the gym for a good 30-40 minutes. Than I play the usual 5-8 PM session at school. Weird.

9. dennis913

dennis913 Regular Member

Student
    Haha i guess my reaction to being under pressure is a good thing :p

Every game finals? D= even i tried thats really hard, but i'll definitely keep at it. It's just the place i play i lose focus cause i always play the SAME people. I know their weaknesses and they are my own level. I got my regionals coming up so im definately goign to train harder.

Yes jimmy i won. Aren't you suprised?

I'm goin to try that tmr. :)

10. vip_m

vip_m Regular Member

writer/web developer
    Some observations

Regarding playing better either during recreation or at tournaments:

At tournaments, people are watching you, you usually don't know your opponent. So if you're the type of person who likes to show other people what you're made of, or doesn't want to look embarrassed, you'll tend to play with extra energy at tournaments just because there are people watching.

Now if you're the friendly, sociable type who doesn't like to hurt other people's feelings, you'll also usually play better at tournaments because you don't know who you're playing against and don't mind pulverizing them.

In my case, to get my motivation up if I really want to do my best, I pretend my opponent has dissed me and continues to diss my play. This kind of motivation makes me want to kill every shot and not make any mistakes, and to lunge at every shuttle, no matter how unreachable. Then after the game's over, I just turn off the imaginings and am friendly again. Of course, as others have mentioned, you'll behave like a 'demon' during the game but you'll definitely play above your usual level.

In terms of enjoyment, I think playing against someone who's just your level and where you don't need extra motivation to play well, is more fun. Against someone who's really strong and might be above your level, then the extra motivation is needed or you won't have much of a chance to win.

Like what Bruce Lee said in 'Enter the Dragon'--you need 'emotional content--not anger.' This hightened emotional content (the feeling you were dissed) can motivate you to not care about your opponent's higher skill level and experience and thus be able to do your best and maybe even surprise yourself with higher-then-usual play.

#10 vip_m, Mar 21, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  11. dennis913

dennis913 Regular Member

Student
    Wow Thanks! Heh I get mad at my partner alot when i play pumped cause i let my emotions get ahead of me. That's why im starting to play singles more heh.

Out of those 2 groups u identified, i think im inbetween. I really appreciate your reply to my thread. I'll definitely take into consideration thinking that my partner dissed me; hopefully i wont beat him up! :)

12. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student
    I used to play calm/friendly first , but after point by point , Im getting violent . But sometime I be friendly/calm back , I not really understand my own situation , but it do help my game . So I think I need to understand it myself and try to fix it if it is wrong .

One of my big problem is during my training with my coach , I always feel pressure/vibration/concussion at my hand during training , and it is also problem to me to play a correct grip and sometime , it make I always play slicing shot during I change back to correct grip . But when I play match(after train) , it come so well . Why is it?

13. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

too bad I'm not like that, I play well when I train but not as well when its a match :(.

The pretend my opponent dissed me sorta happened to me, in that I was little irritated inside that my match was called to start right after I just finished eating. To my surprise I wasn't as passive as usual in my match, game went to 3 sets.

#13 ionoo, Sep 9, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  14. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

I realized i played better under pressure, as such tournaments where lots of people are watching. But my physical strength can only last for at most 2 games, indeed the third game would be my loss, unquestionably!

15. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Badminton psychology!!

Its al about belief folks, u have to truely believe that once the pressure is on, u play the best, that ur game gets better.

If you ave the belief that u crumble etc under pressure, u will.

So reali focus on saying into urself and believing that the nerves u experience are there because u care and they help u react better and faster and that under pressure, u reali shine and play ur best :D

16. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student
    It remind me to my father's word "When you think like that , then it will happen like that" (translation from malay)

17. silvestre351

silvestre351 Regular Member

Civil Eng. / Amateur stringer
    Hi ppl
    Till few days ago (and since 4-5 years) I was a player that could not deal with pressure and in tournaments and even in training games I ve always been too tense, and that was killing me all the time.
    Few days ago during a training match, when I was loosing very hard agains someone with fewer technique but more stamina, I just thought "what the hell ... lets relax ... this game is lost ... lets just play if I having nothing to do with this". I relaxed all, and intended to play if I was just walking calm on the street. At the end I was surprised: the footwork, speed and the hittings improved a lot, I ve never got upset. The results: from losing 16-4 Ive lost the game 23-21.
    Second day in other club where the guys (old guys) only play doubles, I imposed myself that kind of state of mind and I saw a really improvment ... everything was flowing better and naturally and even with less effiort, the fun and motivation became much higher and the scores very good too because of my performance.
    I know that were passed very few days enough to draw a conclusion, but I saw clearly the beneficts. If you have some similar kind of experience, pls post it.

18. Aphelion-

Aphelion- Regular Member

i have the same experience as slives, it happen when i play single,since i was a double specialize player,i play single the way i play double (which is very bad), i explode a lot and just keep attacking instead of setting the game. After i lost the first set , the second set i got tired and i start to play it with almost no explosion and my mind when blank (usually when i play double , i just keep thinking about attack the middle line or open space), and i notice that the birdie goes slower than before and i can see the other player's open space and where to place, and i won the 2 and 3 set with ease.
    Now when i am playing single, i keep changing the pace of the game and it work pretty well

19. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

I think this post has split into 3 issues: pressure, intensity & consiousness.

I would say that everyone plays best at differing levels of pressure. If the level is too low, there is no motivation & lazy shots creep in. If the level is too high, it all becomes too much and everything gets tight. If you're struggling at the early stages of tournaments, set yourself an additional goal: all serves in, no loose shots, try to hit winners more frequently. If it's getting a bit too much, simplify things and concentrate on just the next rally or even the next shot.

I'd say that intensity is more a tactical choice. Playing aggressively may (or may not) intimidate your opponent, but best performance comes from getting the correct balance between taking a chance to win a rally and building an even better one.

Finally, I believe that the amount of 'thinking' should be kept to a minimum during play. Too much noise between the ears leads to strokes that are half of one shot, half of another and none of either! However, the time between rallys is perfect for weighing up the situation and making slight tactical tweaks.

20. midtownace

midtownace Regular Member

I am kind of the opposite. I play better in practice than matches!