being a stringer is an ungrateful occupation

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by jerby, Mar 20, 2009.

1. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I, like most stringers amongst us, string other peoples rackets mostly as a sort of 'labour of love'. We contribute something to the place we play, and make a small buck out of it.
    Now for me, the latter is pretty much pocket money spent on either grips&strings or vending machines and coffee at college...

But, after doing this for some years, I'm really starting to notice how some people view this "occupation" and it really makes me feel like ranting a little bit:eek:

I string for a rather diverse group of people, from the A's to the D's. And mostly between 20-25lbs (myself being almost the only exception, I string at 28lbs).
    Now, with such a large group, with some using some thin strings (MP and ML) mishits do happend, and somehow, the remark almost always goes like.

"gee sir, I was just playing, barely even hit the bird, and it just snapped! I didn't do anything, maybe you made an error in stringing?"

And really, even after explaining a mishit, they still look suspecious. But when handed a solution (thicker strings, lower tension, one of the two) the answer is almost always 'no'.
    After having the same discussion three times in a day, it's really getting old... It starts to feel like players are unable to cope with the idea that they don't always the shuttle square on in the center.

But even after all that hassle, it'll always be a labour of love for me:D Because it's badminton-related and is just an ideal job for students:eek:

So, stringers, am I really the only one having to deal with this?;)

2. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Do you want to take a break from stringing? :D

3. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

stringer for community centers
    yes i know how you feel. i usually go 24lbs or w.e is recommended on the stickers. people who do understand yonex can go over the stated lbs usually understand the concept of mis-hit. and i do prefer doing a 1 day service, which i let it sit at least over night.

dont like those ignorant people ruin ur passion! also u might reconsider telling them to pay for cost of a new pack of strings and do labour urself that might keep the business in the future XD

4. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    You mean ungrateful players or unrewarding occupation? :)

5. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I feel your pain...
    Are you talking about the "@"$$holes to the "D"lckheads?

Sorry mod, I just have to post this...

6. jerby

jerby Regular Member

well, neither actually:p
    The players aren't 'ungrateful' (at least, not until the strings snap;)) and it is somewhat rewarding, as in, I can manage my own grip/string expenses.
    How should I put it then... an underappreciated occupation? Grammatically it's probably more sound :eek:

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Higher level players understand that it's their fault, but not the lower level ones

jerby ... You are not the only one to deal with this. I face the same problem too.

Because I play Badminton so often, I string my own rackets myself. When some of my club players learned that I have a stringing machine, they'd come and asked me to string their rackets too. I don't go around telling people that I string rackets.

The problem we are talking about, usually come from lower level players. They often mishit shots, making contact with the shuttlecock so near to the frame, therefore causing great stress to the strings. It not a surprise that the stings always break next to the frame. It is never at the sweet spot. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Higher level players understand that it's their fault, but not the lower level ones.

If you are disheartened by the complaints, perhaps just string for players that know you well. And for lower level players asking for thinner strings and higher tension, warn them that their strings will be broken in no time. ;););)

8. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

The problem with life.....

...is that people are inevitably part of it.

Jerby, your frustration is understandable . But name me one service industry where frivilous complaints and unreasonable expectations aren't part of the job. :( No one will blame themselves where there is another person in the loop.

Speaking as one in a service industry, I urge you to take this strategy: Accept every compliment, no matter how exaggerated or undeserved, as the absolute truth. And treat every complaint with composure and pity for the poor simpleton who doesn't have enough sense to see your genius.
    You'll sleep easier ;)

9. Viper2005

Viper2005 Regular Member

Play Badminton Everyday!
    Here is a good question for stringers.

As a stringer, do u offer ur customers a grace period for the string service?

I normally offer my customers a 12 hour warranty. If it breaks, I'd offer to restring it for free. Gotta think long term business, plus a happy customer will always refer more customers. Also, ur reputation in the badminton club is important too.
    I'd hate to hear people spreading rumors about a bad stringer.:mad:

10. ph_leung

ph_leung Regular Member

I fix things
    I avoided this right from the start when I got my own stringing machine and set the boundary of who I would string for. The only people I string for is myself, my absolute closest friends and relatives who are serious players. The total number would be less than 6.

I try to get them to come over and teach them to string it themselves. At the very least, I make them watch me string it up as I describe every step. This way, they gain an appreciation for what it takes and what the risks are.

Here's my beef. Local shops charge about $10. People will often think that because a home stringer is not an "official" business that they would be willing to charge less. I wouldn't consider stringing for others until they are willing to pay $20. So far no offers :)

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    yup, one has to weed out the trouble makers. U have to say no to them. Even big telephone companies pay certain chronic complainers money to get lost.

12. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

Wow, 12 hr warranty is generous. For me, I also dont go advertising that I string rackets mainly because Im not doing it for profit, just for friends and people I personally go to play with at the club. For those I do string for, if they are dissatisfied with their string job for whatever reason, ill usually offer to restring for free if its at all my fault ie misweave/wrong tension, but if its something they did, id at least charge cost of string and labor is on me. So if they pop a string within 12 hrs, I would probably restring for cost, or if they are especially naughty ill do it for free, but explain to them, its a one time deal and it will cost them. I think the main thing is to explain and educate them about strings, stringing, and string breakage. Otherwise in their uneducated state they will think, a broken string which was new, is the stringers fault, when reality a new broken string is usually bc of mishits, or bad grommits. Neither of which are the stringers fault.

13. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Well, the problem with mishits is that they are most frequent on a freshly strung set, because it's tighter.

So, most of the time, I have no real policy. But when it breaks so fast they haven't paid yet, or pay for 2-3 frames at once, I cut in a generous discount.

I mean, when you, as a stringer, honestly think about it, there's nothing you can do about breakage, unless you cut into it with your awl (mine is as sharp as a bowling ball) or pliers... Both of which you'll clearly can spot:
    mishit-breaks don't have frayed strings, the break is a very clean cut. If you've knicked the string, you'd see the jacket of the string getting very frayed before it breaks.

14. jerby

jerby Regular Member

It would make me sleep better:p
    But at the end of the day, 75% of the people I string for are people I'd consider to be my friends. (or at least people I'm on good terms with;))

15. warlock110

warlock110 Regular Member

I like to ask the OP how fast he string 1 racket and how much the cost is? then we can figure out if it's worth it to take a word here and there.

16. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    I'm glad u brought up this topic. I agree completely. I only string for friends and it's a super favor already a super favor for the price that I charge them! Honestly for me to do a good job still takes me over an hour and after you minus the cost of the strings, you're better off working at minimum wage!

17. Willi@m

Willi@m Regular Member

Blow Blow Water
    Change the top 14 grommets or turn to fresh side every twice/thrice strung. See they still complain not for the being mis-hit...

18. jerby

jerby Regular Member

30-40min, 13 euro's

....why would it matter? 13 euros is somewhat below average here, and compared to sport-shops it's damn cheap....

19. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    How about C$10.00 in Vancouver, BC, Canada. Slave labour if you ask me. And that's the rate from one shop that I know of.

20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    u should move down to here. $15/job is not unusual, some are quite mediocore as well.