Teaching/Coaching 15-17 year olds

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by PAVYDENK, Mar 20, 2009.

1. PAVYDENK

PAVYDENK New Member

teacher
    I have been charged with developing badminton in my school the boys that play are not very good but want to get better. They need fun ways to learn activities rather than the usual clear clear smash drop etc. Any ideas of fun games or activities

Thanks

2. TheBear

TheBear Regular Member

Whereabouts in the UK are you ?

3. WhiteRice94

WhiteRice94 Regular Member

slacker
    there's a difference between having fun and working hard to get better. Its not easy to mix them together but i guess one activity you could do is have 3 players go against 1 player, and that player has to try to score a point. This improves the player's defence, as well as stamina

4. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    try 2 on 1 first. three on one may be a bit too tough for them. it's always challenging. if you're feeling especially harsh, you can punish them. if the pair lose, it's 30 press ups (or however many you want) and 15 for the single man.

the key is that its all about the single man. the two should be playing on their own halves, not front and back. this is to make it slightly easier for the single person and to simulate proper singles environment for him/her.

5. Kestrel22

Kestrel22 Regular Member

Student
    Notice he says fun activities:rolleyes:. from my experience, doing press ups is not fun and doesn't make you a good badminton player.

I've always thought the best way of improving is to play the game, ie matches to 21. Add some coaching and you should get better. The 'usual' activities tend to work very well which is why they are still usual and produce top players.

6. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    depends on what you consider fun. i think push ups are fun :) it doesn't make you a good badminton player. it teaches you to concentrate for even practice so you don't lose focus during the games that matter.

7. TheBear

TheBear Regular Member

I think you're absolutely right, else potentially they'll get bored and we'll lose them to another sport.

In my (short) experience, any competitive team events are enjoyable. For instance, serving practise on your own is a drudge, however turning it into a team activity with "burpees" for the loser introduces an element of fun. A game we often play is called "The Team Game" (such originality and creativity, I know!). Split the group into two roughly similar teams, and play half court singles to one point, winner stays on. Players can stay on for a run of 3 consecutive wins max. Every player remembers how many games they won, add them up at the end, major prize for the winner (ish!). I find the mere achievement of winning is sufficient. Game shouldn't last for more than 10 minutes. A countdown of the amount of time remaining often adds a bit of fun.
    You can obviously condition the games by offering double points for winning using a stroke or tactic that you've been coaching that day.
    Another is called "Around the World". Very simple game. Individual game this time, each player has 3 lives. Split the players between the two sides of the net, in a queue. Player A serves to player B on the opposite side of the net, and then runs (to the right) around to the other side of the court. Once player B has hit the shuttle he/she also runs to the opposite side of the court, once again running to the right. If any player fails to hit the shuttle over the net, hits it out or simply doesn't get there in time they lose a life.
    When you get down to two players they play full court singles to 3 or 5 or whatever you fancy. No smashing or driving or very tight net shots.
    Need to pay attention to the spaces aroud the courts (typically that's where folk put their trackies and bottles and stuff as you know!).
    The side that starts/restarts has to have one more player than the receiving side, else it breaks down.

Good luck!

8. Kestrel22

Kestrel22 Regular Member

Student
    oooookay :confused::eek::rolleyes:

9. WhiteRice94

WhiteRice94 Regular Member

slacker
    If badminton isn't fun already, they wouldn't be playing it. Badminton is naturally fun it removes stress from your mind.

10. azn32boi

azn32boi Regular Member

I train myself, but yet I teach other peers how to improve their game.

Usually I start off with basic training, the usual footwork, and stroke techniques. After that we usually play games such as English doubles.

English doubles is where 2 players on each side take their respective sides. Each player's job is to protect their own area. They start off with equal amount of points, say three. When the shuttle drops on a player's side of the court, that player loses a point until they hit zero, when they hit zero they're out and another player fills them in. The player leaving the court must run a lap, or do some crunches/sit ups. Any hit goes. The person who last lost the point, serves.

Another good way to practice is using two shuttles instead of one. Usually this becomes fun due to the mistakes you make, or how fast the rally becomes, or even just because it becomes painful after a while. This works best with clears and drives.

Competition is always a good way to improves yourself, such as racing, or who can hit harder, or maybe target practice. Competition works well with almost anything.

11. LMI_700

LMI_700 New Member

Student
    Wow this guy hasn't been on in a week :(