Time to get a New Racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Opace, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Opace

Opace Regular Member

High School Student
    So I've had a ProAce (not sure, but it says 5000 Energy on it, but my research says its a Thunderbolt III) and strung it with a BG66 at God knows what tension. The grip was a yellow overgrip, and the sound made was amazing, control was fine and the smashes are pretty sharp and steep at a reasonable pace.

Now, I started Badminton as a complete beginner, but now I'd say I'm bordering both Beginner and Intermediate. However, I have had no experience in Tension, Rackets and Strings. Oh sure, I am an enthiusiast and have read upon many, many things - but that doesn't compare to experience. Now my question is: Does Yonex series (or even Yonex) rackets matter at this stage? I mean, I don't want to shell out $200-$300 for a top of the range Yonex AR/SP/AT etc. racket. Then again, I want to get a reasonable racket. Is there this much of a difference in play between a top-of-the-range Yonex racket and a reasonable one like ProAce?

Also, I'm stuck for the String and its tension. That BG66 gave me sounds I just loved everytime I smashed or cleared. But there is also BG80 to consider, or BG65ti. The latter strings are more durable, but BG66 gave out very good power and bounce/repulsion. I'd like some personal experience opinions on the two strings if possible; I'm more leaning to BG80 at the moment. With ~23-24lbs of tension.

Thanks a lot, I am just confused.

2. suchxq

suchxq Regular Member

try some rackets not too heavy and stiff.
    by the way ,it is not SP but NS. I think you don't need to buy YY
    I have own RSL4900 and try 7490 and 7900,they are good rackets
    you could search them on the Internet to get more information
    BG80 is an excellent string I like it!!

3. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

If you indeed have a thunderbolt 3, there are not many rackets under A$200 that can match the power and built of that proace, much less from Yonex. Of course, this all depends on your playing style.

The TB3 is light weight (available in 3/4U), somewhat headheavy with a medium flex shaft. It is easy to produce good power with it.

You can breathe a new lease of life into the TB3 by restringing it. You should probably stay with BG66 to try out what your tension should be.

4. Opace

Opace Regular Member

High School Student
    Actually I meant to type MP (Muscle Power) but I also forgot NS. ^^ Have you played with other strings that are fairly durable and great-excellent power? I love the BG66 but it was just not durable and I can see the outer layer slightly peeling off before its frame broke.

Well it's a 3U-G2, with the Union Jack Flag on it, and the Registration No. is 1353283. What really confuses me is the 5000 Energy. Is there a site with ProAce products and pictures so I can find the one with my racket is?

Unfortunately, I can't breathe new life into it; the racket frame snapped like a twig. Not sure how it happened, but it must have accumulated its damages during my newbie stages, but though it snapped on the bottom left/right of the frame and I'm pretty sure I don't misshit that badly.

Currently I'm using a Wilson XChamp-nCode racket right now, and its performance is very poor in comparison. My smashes always hit the top of the net/goes out or it turns more into a drive than a smash. It has a stiff flex shaft and is a 3U/G3. The size of the handle is 1 size bigger than my ProAce one, it hasn't got a grip on it, and the strings are still factory-strung ones. Do you recommend me getting it restrung and gripped?

Also, how does the BG80 fare? Does it give out a reasonable power and control with its durability?

Thanks for the replies.

5. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

yes, you can also try to find a now TBIII or order it online. If you dont mind, also look at apacs, and figure out whether you would want to try a racket from there. The Nano 900 Power Red may suit you.

BG 80 does all what you stated. It also has a hard feeling, and should be strung around 2 pounds less that usual according to specs. As for grip, do what you like.

6. what07

what07 Regular Member

BG-80 is more durable then BG-66 at the same tension when I used them. BG-80 makes a really nice sound for me. I forgot what 66 sounds like but from what your saying maybe I'll go back for a test run.

As for racquets you don't have to buy a top line yonex for top line performence if your a beginner. Maybe you could try the lower end like AT300, MP45, Nanospeed 6000.

7. Opace

Opace Regular Member

High School Student
    Apacs? I've heard of them, but haven't done any extensive research on it. Apparently they are about as good as 90% of the Yonex rackets since they are clones, and for a much cheaper price.

BG80 strung at 23 or 24 pounds? I'm not quite sure, and I'm sure that 1 extra pound makes a difference.

BG66 with my skill level sounds pretty damn good already. The best smasher in my school which is also in the team I am in makes a gunshot everytime he smashes; and he does that with a BG80. I am in awe of it, but his skill in smashing is in a different league than mine.. I think. ^^ A BG60 wouldn't last a month for him though, even with my power it's starting to fray just a tad bit after 2 months, 3x1.5hr sessions a week.