I always hit into the net during good opportunities

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ALI, Aug 25, 2002.

1. ALI

ALI Regular Member

Student
    Hi. I've a problem at the net, no matter playing singles and doubles. Everytime after I force my opponents to hit the shuttle high at the net, which should be an easy kill for me, I often hit the shuttle into the net. Sometimes, I hit the shuttle out of the baseline (because it goes flat, not steep). I can't seem to get the steep angle that I see from players in TV. What's wrong and what should I do?

2. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    don't swing at it
    don't hit it hard

Relax & Tap it down onto the floor fast using a small action.

3. ivan

ivan Regular Member

Student
    Greeting:
    For what I would do when I am in front of net. The shuttle core determines my shots. If the shuttle core face up, that makes things much easier because the shuttle is still in upwards motion hence you don't have to worry about trajectory which mostly the source that lead you hit right into the net. If the shuttle core face is up, you can bend your wrists to apply a bit of trajectory without worries, but if the shuttle core face down, you better pay attention - the trajectory. I will only push it straight or push my racquet upwards with tiny bit of pressure.

Hope this helps

Ivan

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Just 2 suggestions:

1. Just apply a simple "wrist" shot, rather than a "full arm rotation" overkill. That may prevent ur problem.

2. Also, if the shuttle is way too close to the net, maybe a little bit "finger tip" will make a nice drop, which also can score easily on ur opponent, if he/she is already way off balance.

5. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    if you had set for a nice net kill shot, but you wind up hitting the net you could try a few things:

1: pick up the speed of your lunge. from what you described, it seems like you are just hitting the shuttle a bit slower - this could also be due to reaction time (the time between seeing the situation and your mind and body actually making the kill shot).

2: try these net kill drills with a partner during your practice sessions. just have the partner toss net floaters and you kill each one.

3: technique may also play into this. if the net shot was too close to the net, you need to also develop a 'brush' shot. instead of a forward motion of the racquet face, and possibly hitting the net, the racquet face is swept or brushing motion across the shuttle. this way you can still impart speed to the shuttle, but reduces chance of hitting the net.

6. Californian

Californian Regular Member

When you hit it into the net like that, your racket face is too far closed when you hit the shuttle, which means you are either catching the shuttle too low or you are too far back from the net for the way you are hitting hit.

I think that often happens from the excitement of the moment. You get a weak return, you know you only have a moment to react, and you instinctively want to whack it down hard, but you end up not being in control of the swing.

I agree with LazyBuddy's suggestion about using just a wrist shot, and with badrad's suggestion about doing drills. Try to simulate the set-up in the drills and take a more relaxed approach in your reaction. And you don't always have to hit it hard either. Just the fact that your opponents will be expecting that can make a simple block or brush shot very effective.

7. Yong

Yong Regular Member

ICT consultant
    A nice drill you can do on your own with some old (feather) shuttles : put a shuttle on top of the right (righthanders forehand) or left (backhand) side of the net by clambing the shuttle between the net and the feathers. (shuttle is now faced upwards)
    Now to simulate a game situation (singles / doubles)
    Do a short serve with another shuttle, stand in a short waiting position after the serve and then rush to the net to do the brush shot on the first shuttle.
    My thought on this is that it works best when a forward motion is performed till the moment of contact, when the side motion is started.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    lots of good suggestions. wrist instead of arm is one of the important thing to remember.

also, do lots of drills. have a friend standing at the rear court, lower hand drives the bird just above the net. you stand near the service line and drive it back towards his lower hand.

another one is for your friend to hit higher, you stand at the base and then literally leap/jump forward for the kill.