Baseball-students turned the tables on former master

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by taneepak, Mar 23, 2009.

1. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The US baseball team was badly beaten by the Japanese in the recent World Baseball Classic. Japan will now meet another new Asian baseball powerhouse Korea for the final. Korea thrashed Venezuela in another semifinal earlier.
    How can this be? I thought the US invented baseball and dominates the game completely. We now have these young newcomers who never heard about baseball until the marines came to Japan and S. Korea after WWII.

2. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Isn't the same happened to soccer (England), tennis (France), badminton (England), and even basketball now? :)

3. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Baseball is much older in Japan than WOII, from around the time "The Last Samurai" takes place [​IMG]. And just like in basketball fundamentals matter as the US have found out.

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu

how?? same reason as tv, vcr, cars, refrigerator, washing machines, cellphone, etc....

i thot u were smarter than that.

5. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yeah. it is funny how people still call the winner of the so-called "world series" the world champion. they think winning a domestic league is equivalent to being the best in the world.

ZZZZzz.....

7. madbad

madbad Regular Member

No big surprise really.

For starters, many of the top US players begged off, leaving 3rd rate players to represent the country.

Secondly, the US isn't where it used to be in baseball. Look at the amount of foreign players in the game... tons!

Thirdly, baseball is one US sport that you don't have to be the size of offensive linemen in which to do well. You can win on technique, speed and strategy. Power helps of course and I'm sure there must be one or two muscled chaps each Asian country can uncover.

8. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    The first cardinal sin when it comes to talking about the beautiful game... :mad:

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

No big surprises, too..

:p..the same thing they dub the NBA Finals winners the World Champions.
    ..all those plus the major reason that the U.S. team didn't prepare much at all, if any, prior to this event. I heard Korea, Japan and even Cuba prepared for this event since last year to early this yr.
    The U.S. didn't really care?? Didn't put up so much importance to it?? Too much on their plate with their respective MLB teams??..

I think the influx of those foreign players has been a positive thing and it helps improve those foreign players play at a level near or equal to their American counterparts..

Btw, congrats to Japan for winning it all..;)

#9 ctjcad, Mar 24, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  10. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Yes, congrats to Japan. Thanks to Ichiro, one of my fave players, for his clutch hitting in extra innings

11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Well, if the US fielded only 3rd rate players, then Japan and Korea are World and Olympic champions of 3rd rate players. Maybe they should classify domestic baseball in the US as Super Series and home of the real world champions, and Japan and Korea as champions in a lower league like Gold Series. Then why have the World Baseball Classic?

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

I only saw..

..the tail end of the 9th inning, when Yu Darvish nearly blew his team's lead, after allowing the tying run to cross the plate...i bet the Nippon fans' heart were pounding like crazy...;)..After that, i bailed out..not really a baseball fanatic...:p
    A couple of friends, though, were giggling when they saw one of the KOR players' name as Bum Ho Lee...:p
    Anyway, the "real" baseball season won't start in about 2 weeks time. ;)
    ..the U.S. didn't really field "3rd rate players" in their squad. They have some of the top players representing the U.S. team. However, some of them even had to go back to their respective teams to prepare for the upcoming MLB season.
    As for the main reason why they have the World Baseball Classic, well, it was created (not too long ago in 2005) in order to further promote the game around the globe. And yeah, like madbad wrote below, partly it's for $$$ as well..;)

#12 ctjcad, Mar 24, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  13. madbad

madbad Regular Member

The matches are considered as exhibitions (read friendlies). Oh ya, it makes money too ;)