Your Favorite Shuttlecock Package Design & Labelling Methods

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by BiiMB, Mar 23, 2009.

1. BiiMB

BiiMB Regular Member

If you were given a chance to start your own shuttlecock brand...
    How would you package your shuttlecock tube?

right now in the current market, seems like most shuttlecock package designs (feather ones in particular) weren't that stylish.... most of the brands have designs that seem like badminton is only an oldie sport...

am I the only one who's feeling that?... is there some stylish packaging out there?... I meant yes the quality is the most important, but still... we're playing badminton man... i think having newer and nicer designs can get more attraction from the younger generation so we have more new blood for the sport... and more sponsors into badminton and make badminton a huge thing around the world... bigger than soccer, golf, hockey etc.

so the question is...
    if you were given a chance to design the package of a new brand of shuttlecock.... how would you like it to be?

Also, how would you label the series? (as in different grades) only by color and 101, 102, 103, etc... ? so boring

looking for ideas to make badminton a more interesting sport! :D
    Cheers,
    B

*don't know if anyone ever talked about this before already.... but i searched around, can't find one... so started this thread

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    sorry man, a better looking shuttle tube ain't gonna make badminton more popular.
    Best is make it no name brand, have good QC, use cardboard tube and keep the price low, you will then sellalot.

#2 cooler, Mar 23, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  3. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Yeah, the Yonex ones aren't bad though. Very simple and businesslike, how a tube of shuttles (which after all, is something where aesthetics doesn't matter) should look.

4. Vincentlam

Vincentlam Regular Member

Student
  5. Danstevens

Student
    Not a bad shuttle tube design, not that people really care about shuttle tube designs too much.

On a side note, my local Sports World (Sports Direct) had tubes of half a dozen F1s pretty cheap. I can't remember how much they were but I'm sure they were in the sub £5 price bracket. If you play synthetics, the F1s are pretty good (I use them with beginners sometimes so they don't waste my good feather shuttles) and I doubt you'll find them any cheaper than that. It may be worth checking your local outlet out to see if they have them, I know they're not on the website.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    personally, i think a lot of shuttle tube designs are really subpar. some looks like they find some low paid designer to do the design.

however, on the other end of the spectrum, i concur that having a really nice design isn't going to make much of a difference. shuttlecock are afterall dispensable items. nobody really pay much attention to them. a very nicely designed wrapper will not make the sport more popular.

however, a decent simple professional design will be beneficial to the individual manufacturer. everything else being equal, the consumer will buy the one that looks better.

so in short, bad design is bad image for the company. good design will be suffice to attract existing badminton player. beautifully design won't make much difference in terms of attracting non-badminton players nor popularize the sport.

7. BiiMB

BiiMB Regular Member

thank you for the comments guys.. hummm... seems like you folks are happy with the current badminton tube designs... does no body out there feel that badminton tubes design can improve a bit?

how about series labelling? all good with green blue red gold?.... or numbers 01 02 03?

like cars... they have echo, yaris, corolla, camry...
    MS have Windows Me, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7...

if you were to label a series besides the current color and number system.... how would you label yours?

something like.... naming it after planets from the solar system? Earth, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, Saturn....

or

ancient civilizations? Babylonians, Romans, Mayans, Aztec, Incas, Vikings...

8. BiiMB

BiiMB Regular Member

Thanks Vincentlam and Danstevens for bring up the design of F1s, actually their design is not bad.... at least i think they put more effort into it than the YY300 ones... and it would definitely be more appealing to beginners or new players who just started to play badminton....
    but i'm from canada.... wonder if they sell F1 here too... i'm interested to find that out

9. Danstevens

Student
    I'd just name shuttles "Grade 1", "Grade 2", "Grade 3" etc. Then it would be very simple to tell which was the best shuttle (although it isn't hard as it stands now) and they wouldn't have overly fussy names. Packaging would be in relatively plain tubes as IMO, there is no point over-designing something like a shuttle tube.

The Hi-Qua Hummingbird shuttles have quite a nice package.

[​IMG]

EDIT: That was meant to be an image but failed, sorry.

EDIT 2: Fixed

#9 Danstevens, Mar 24, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  10. Vincentlam

Vincentlam Regular Member

Student
  11. krisss

krisss Regular Member

That looks cool :D.

Probably one of the best designs ive seen :D.

But as people have said above - in the end of the day I doubt many people will choose shuttles just because of the looks.

12. Danstevens

Student
    Yeah, I love that shuttle tube too - the shuttles inside (Carlton GT2) aren't bad either.

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    if they make them look nicer, it can be reused as noise maker during tournament.

14. BiiMB

BiiMB Regular Member

wow, this is a cool design...
    ture, I agree that pepple won't choose shuttle just because of the look, but given the quality is about the same, i don't mind holding a tube with better design...

o it's carlton again!... it's current the best design i've seen too :) thanks Vincent for sharing that... where do they sell Carlton in Canada? anyone know?

15. BiiMB

BiiMB Regular Member

yea the Hi-Qua Hummingbird shuttles has nice design too... a rather soft and comfy feeling.... it fits it's plastic birds

we should have a best shuttlecock package design award.... anymore nomination badminton folks? i'm sure we have some hidden nice designs in our baddy world.... somewhere...
    thanks Vincent and Danstevens for sharing what they've found...

may be we should have a shuttlecock package design contest one day.... any photoshop experts or designers here? we'll get sponsors... winners get 100 tubes free shuttlecocks.... sound like a good deal??

16. BiiMB

BiiMB Regular Member

birdie tube noise maker

noise maker as in those YY ones in tournements?.... lol... that's would be cool.... then everyone would be holding two tubes of birdie tubes instead of those air thingy...

hey kwun, am I posting this discussion in the wrong place?...
    ...soli i'm new here... please bear with me :)

17. BiiMB

BiiMB Regular Member

Wilson?

[​IMG]
    what about Wilson's design? anygood?