Muscle aches after aggressive play

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by eddiemon, Mar 23, 2009.

1. eddiemon

eddiemon Regular Member

Everytime I play badminton, I like to smash. But what I dont like is, the day after I play badminton, all my muscles become aching. How can I prevent this from happening in the future? Like my arms and thighs ache.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    how old are you? how often do you play?

i am guessing you are 25+ and you play no more than once a week?

3. afham07

afham07 Regular Member

Student
    you need to double or event triple your badminton time .. :) ..

it will go away after a while .. :) ..

I love to play badminton much and if I stop for a month or two (due to work shift), first or second time, I would have that problem and bad stamina level. It goes away after a few sessions. :).

4. azn32boi

azn32boi Regular Member

It's inevitable. If you play properly and play hard, you're going to get sore. You'll get over it eventually as you get better. However, don't push yourself too hard, when you're sore, rest for a day so your muscles can build. Your muscles becomes stronger when you rest them after a good exercise, not when you do the exercise.

5. bckeen

bckeen Regular Member

i'm a 2nd year physio student,
    and i have a feeling you have DOMS, delayed onset of muscle soreness..
    your muscles hurt becuase of irregular usage at such a high force (Smashes)
    the more you play and frequently the less your muscles will hurt as they have adapted to using such fast and high force
    the pain usually goes away after 2-3 days, when in shower massage it and use hot water, that way the healing process is faster
    =]

6. Nate_12

Nate_12 Regular Member

Im pretty sure the problem is stretching as in cooling down.
    This is a problem I constantly face, after aggresive play, I am often too tired to stretch/loosen muscles.
    Without cooling down, your muscles will tighten causing cramps and stuff.

7. tieenbietjes

tieenbietjes Regular Member

When you load your muscles higher then your body normally is used to, you'll get these muscle aches. Like bckeen said: it mostly takes 2-3 days before the pain will go away and it's painfull when pressing on your muscles.

There are diffrent theories on musclepain, from dehydration causing muscle cramps to eccentric-damaged (mostly white) muscle fibers. I personally believe in the last stated theory, for diffrent kind of reasons.

If you follow the damaged fiber theory (causing musclepain), it's not-done to stretch the muscle fibers after training/playing. Because now you tear the damaged fibers again by stretching them! You can ask light concentric movements from your painfull muscles. This activates the bloodstream and will export various bad components and improves the healing process.

As for the hot shower, it certainly is relaxing. But the warmth doesn't reach the muscles quite good, it activates the bloodstream in the skin not in the muscle. On the other hand: by reducing the nerve system's arrousel with warmth, your muscles will relax and the blood has a better passage to and through the muscle. This will improve the healing, but it might not be as effective as activating the bloodstream within the muscle by massage or concentric activity. The massages works alot better when it's done right. It reduces the arrousel and can activate the bloodstream within the muscle.

8. Big L4

Big L4 Regular Member

Student. Making a mental badminton encyclopedia.
    I think eddiemon uses his mucles too much, should focus more on technique. Agressive doesn't mean putting more strain on the muscles. He should relax his tissues more. I play agressively put i don't get muscle pain from that. He may just be all brawn when he plays agressively.

9. zuihoujueding

zuihoujueding Regular Member

drink whey protein before and after session

10. krisss

krisss Regular Member

I think a good cool-down , and stretching - will prevent a build up of a lot of muscle ache the next day. Their still may be some though.

11. Smash _Drop

Smash _Drop Regular Member

promotor
    Muscle ache is common after sports. Try ensuring you are drinking enough water or a sports drink to replace lost electrolytes. Also try having some protien within half an hour of finishing to provide your muscles with nutrients to help in repair and recovery (u can also buy recovery drinks). If certain parts of your body are hurting, try using a support. Good insoles will dampen the 'shock' to the body when jumping around and reduce pain to places such as the back, knees and ankles

hope that helps a little:)

12. kinoko

kinoko Regular Member

what i noticed from time to time my body no longer as strong as how it used to. i played 4-5 times a week, 3-4hours each. i think my body takes longer resting period to be able to play well the next time whereas i used to be able to play everyday for 7 hours each (4hours physical training). and im only 28 :crying: