Short Serves/ Flick Serves

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by AznAndrew, Mar 24, 2009.

1. AznAndrew

AznAndrew Regular Member

I recently went to my High school badminton practice the other day, and i was told that my short serves and flick serves MAJORLY needed working on. I know that i'll get better with practice, but is there anything i should focus most on, or is there any tips available? I'm looking at BadmintonBible at the moment. I usually hit the net, serve it too short, or too high.

Also, i had another question about our coach. When i was practicing my serves, the coach decided to work with me by returning them to me. Everything went normal. Did a few good serves, a lot of bad ones... Then, when i did a serve that was too high, he decided to smash it at my face. Of course it stung a bit! Rather than letting this go, or placing a smash elsewhere, he decided to make some full face-shuttle contact. Was it to teach me the hard way of serving it wrong, or was he just being a real jerk?

Then there was another event. While me and my partner were playing two other friends in a game of doubles, the (same) coach watched. Everytime one of us missed or did a bad serve, he'd just shake his head in embarrassment. And believe me, the team my partner and I was facing were actually GOOD. They went to club and such. Then, they started messing up a little. And when i say little, i seriously mean that they only missed maximum 3 shots that game. The coach said that they were making him rethink about bringing them to the badminton games we had against other schools.
    So this time, was he being really rude, or just straight up honest?

2. AznAndrew

AznAndrew Regular Member

I recently went to my High school badminton practice the other day, and i was told that my short serves and flick serves MAJORLY needed working on. I know that i'll get better with practice, but is there anything i should focus most on, or is there any tips available? I'm looking at BadmintonBible at the moment. I usually hit the net, serve it too short, or too high.

Also, i had another question about our coach. When i was practicing my serves, the coach decided to work with me by returning them to me. Everything went normal. Did a few good serves, a lot of bad ones... Then, when i did a serve that was too high, he decided to smash it at my face. Of course it stung a bit! Rather than letting this go, or placing a smash elsewhere, he decided to make some full face-shuttle contact. Was it to teach me the hard way of serving it wrong, or was he just being a real jerk?

Then there was another event. While me and my partner were playing two other friends in a game of doubles, the (same) coach watched. Everytime one of us missed or did a bad serve, he'd just shake his head in embarrassment. And believe me, the team my partner and I was facing were actually GOOD. They went to club and such. Then, they started messing up a little. And when i say little, i seriously mean that they only missed maximum 3 shots that game. The coach said that they were making him rethink about bringing them to the badminton games we had against other schools.
    So this time, was he being really rude, or just straight up honest?

I don't mean to sound like a little kid, but I need to know if what he's doing is for the better of us.

3. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    One thing you need to know...the most important part of your game, especially in doubles, is your serve. I've played with amazing players in doubles, but they could not serve a consistent short serve for their life, and we always got burned for that. And the thing is, the only way to get a good short serve is with lots of practice. Practice, practice, practice, that's the only way. Otherwise, you'll get killed; the first 3 strokes are the most important in doubles, and with rally point, the easiest way to fry an opponent is to kill their serves.

I've played people who had awful serves; I must have gotten at least 12 points pet game just by killing them off.

Those were for short serves...as for flick serves, a good thing to do is to try to make your serves high enough so that they're hard to attack, but also flat enough so that they travel to the backline fast. Again, this takes a lot of practise, and good technique.

A good tip when serving short (backhand) is to think of pushing the bird foreward, not pushing it up. This will make your serve a bit more flat, but will at least get it to cross the net at a low point and make it faster too.

#3 Athelete1234, Mar 24, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  4. what07

what07 Regular Member

Just get lots of shuttles and start practicing. Someone on the other side to return the serve so you could see what mistakes you made. One of my coach said something about if you see a certain shape the opposing person is standing you could decide a short or long serve is effective. If you know they have weak backhand let them use it on your serve and it's almost a 100% point for you.

5. !¿Clue?!

!¿Clue?! Regular Member

What's up with the same 2 threads you created?
    In regards to your question. I know your coach sounds like a jerk but honestly you should ask him how to improve your technique on serves, and also when warming up with your buddy instead of just hitting around try working on your short/flick serves first. And when your coach smashed the shuttle deliberitly at your face, why didn't you politely ask him why did you smash the birdie at my face? My guess is he probably did that to teach you a lesson next time not to serve too high or else that consequence would have happened to you.

#5 !¿Clue?!, Mar 24, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  6. AznAndrew

AznAndrew Regular Member

Ah. Sorry. I wanted to fix some stuff up, so i pressed "Stop". Then, i added what i wanted to add, then i pressed "Submit". I was hoping it wasn't going to make doubles.

7. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

When serving short, instead of looking at the 'T' on the other side, perhaps focus on the top of the tape and picture the bird skimming over it. I've found that helps keep it low.
    Make sure that your set up is identical each time...don't rush. And swing smoothly.
    :)-Good luck (one amateur to another)-:)