Switching from head light to head heavy

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Mr M Cross, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Mr M Cross

Mr M Cross Regular Member

Student
    I have been playing for 5 years now wth head light rackets. Last week i purchased a yonex armortec 900 power to play doubles with. I bought it becuase I wanted to smash harder in doubles and I personally think it is a great all round racket. When using it I have found you have to give it a real fast swing just to get anything out of it, also you have to use alot more wrist compared to a head light. I have always used nanogy strings on my rackets but the string on the 900 is bg65 ti from factory at 24lb. What should I do?:confused:

2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    You can cut the strings and get it restrung with Nanogy if you would prefer it. Your local stringer will probably stock Nanogy 95 (of if not, it's very easy and not too expensive to buy online).

You'll get used to the balance of the racket it time, just stick with it and wait until you have properly adjusted to it. It is at this point that you will be able to unleash the full force of the AT900P on your opponents.

3. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Dear Mr M Cross :),

From your post it seems that i will assume your problem will be:
    1. You are unable to produce the much desire punch from your new AT900p since you need to give it a real fast swing and a lot wrist power into it
    2. ...and at the same time does the factory bg65ti fitted at 24lb contributes to this problem since you've being using nanogy string previously.

Since you've been using a head light racket before (for 5 years), changing to a head heavy racket with the intention to produce a harder smash is actually a correct step. But then to harvest the real potential from using a head heavy racket, you need to have an additional ability.... which includes having a good wristwork.

I think by now you've noticed that rackets that comes from the Armortec series are built specifically for offensive player as all of them are head heavy (especially AT700). To experience it's real potential impact, it is important for you to have a good and powerfull wristwork since it is amoung the important ability required in producing a powerfull and accurate smash besides applying proper smashing techniques. Not like other rackets sport i.e squash and tennis where a lot of swinging movement needed in order to produce deadly results without so much of wristwork involvement, but in badminton, having a good and powerfull wristwork is an advantage, and applying it in certain manouever such as smashing will give you a good and deadly result.

So in your case, improve your wristwork so that you can achieve a better results from your AT900P (you can go to this thread http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1069921&postcount=25 or http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20149. As for your string issue, i dont see so much of its contribution in your problem because at 24lb, with proper smashing technique and good wristwork, you should still will able to produce a powerfull smash with a BG65ti. If not satisfied, then change it to BG66 stretch at a higher tension or back to your nanogy strings with similar spec. Above all, always practice and practice your smash...since practice makes you perfect :D.

4. Mr M Cross

Student
    I have used the armortec 700 old version strung at 24lb with nanogy and I could really feel the smashes. With the 900 power would it be better go with

• nanogy 28lb
    • nanogy 25lb
    • nanogy 23lb
    what tension

5. D34no_apacs

D34no_apacs Regular Member

mechanic
    If u want more power i would suggest a lower tension.

6. Danstevens

Student
    Nanogy at 24Lbs, your "normal" setup.

7. Mr M Cross

Student
    When I use my head light racket (Nanospeed 9000 s) for singles I have it at a high tension 28lb. Do this mean I should go a a lower tension for a head heavy?

8. Danstevens

Student
    No.

You should generally keep the tension consistent throughout all of your rackets unless you have some rackets set up for different situations (some people have "tired" rackets or "good day" rackets). The reason you keep the tension the same, at least at first is a.) to make the switch between rackets easier and b.) chances are, the tension is fine for the other racket if you play with it without problems on the first.

Use whatever setup you like most.

9. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

I would dispute that, because for some, head heavy does not = more power, not by a longshot. Likewise, i find that a headlight racket requires a faster swing/ better wrist power.

as for the main problem, danstevens has addressed the problem correctly. the reason you may need to apply more wrist is because of the increased stiffness from the AT900P, vs. your old rackets. Same with the AT700. its flexible, so it isnt as hard. Nanogy at 23/24 is good, i think.