Backhand technique

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Opace, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Opace

Opace Regular Member

High School Student
    My backhand is atrocious. Everytime I attempt to do one, it either misses due to my arm flailing about like a kite in the wind, or it isn't powerful enough to become a full clear and just ends up in the middle, or it isn't accurate enough to be a slow drive.

Is there any techniques I should watch out for? One told me that I should tuck my elbow into my torso and then explode it outwards. Although I can see this as a good technique to do a clear, it makes my arm far flail about too much. I would like to know some opinions on the technique so I can practice it.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. TheBear

TheBear Regular Member

I don't think it's really possible to coach a shot, backhand or otherwise, by text, but here's a few pointers that you may find useful:
    Correct grip is important. There are (at least) 2 grips you'll use for backhand; the thumb grip, where the thumb is placed on the flat of the racquet, and the "backhand grip" where the thumb is placed on the bevel. Some coach that you should use the thumb grip where you take the shuttle in front of your body, and the bevel grip for other times. Personally I like to use the bevel grip as it allows free movement of the forearm.
    Play the shuttle away from your body, so that you have plenty of room to use your arm.
    Clear: Take the shuttle as high as possible, keeping your elbow high and steady.
    Hit the shuttle by turning the forearm, and not by just flicking your wrist. The wrist moves, but it is the bigger muscles in the forearm that should be used to develop power.
    Don't follow through: the hitting action is a "rebound" action, so that the racquet head will stop and "rebound" back immediately after you have hit the shuttle.
    Good practise: hit the net of a basketball ring. Concentrate on leaving your upper arm almost still, your elbow almost still, and hitting so that you can see the back of your hand before you hit, and then the inside of your wrist after you have hit.
    Really your best bet is to spend an hour with a good coach, but I hope this helps.

3. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
  4. TheBear

TheBear Regular Member

I know you meant Gail Emms !

5. Opace

Opace Regular Member

High School Student
    Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. ^^

Just one more question: How close towards the flight of the shuttle do I need to move towards? Right above (to the opposite side) of my head? A arm length? A full arc + racket length (or slightly below)?

I watch the video and it says just a bit shorter than full length of arc + racket, with the elbow bending for more power and protection.