Need help with proper badminton stroke

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jykw11, Mar 27, 2009.

1. jykw11

jykw11 New Member

Accountant
    Hi all,

after realising that my basic badminton grip was wrong I have been trying to correct it. But for some reason now that I am gripping the racket properly i can't seem to hit the shuttle right. you know when you stand facing the net and with proper grip the racket face is not facing the net when the shuttle comes to you. it's hard to explain but now the racket seems to allow my wrist naturally to do sideway strokes instead of strokes that push the racket face toward the net. Any video link to show the basic stroke with the right gripping of racket?

some of you might have this difficulty before? Any tips to share? Thanks guys...:confused:

2. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Your racquet, if you just push forward, will hit the bird with the side of the frame. To achieve the proper stroke, you must conduct the rotation of your forearm to have the strings strike the bird head on.

3. azn32boi

azn32boi Regular Member

That's easily fixed if you meant you're standing at around the baseline and hitting a flat shot.

When you hit as you are now, you probably swing straight on at it with your racquet vertical to it, causing a slice to the left (assuming you're right handed). There's an easy solution to this:
    - Bend your knees more so you're down lower
    - Raise your elbow to the side a little more
    - Have your racquet head above your own head

Racquet should now be more horizontal, giving a more forward and downward angle. All hits now should just be a small flick of the wrist, no big movements, since you're in front of the net.

4. JustSmash

JustSmash Regular Member

i was going to make a new thread about proper stroke when i saw this =)

can any experienced members post a video of their stroke with proper pronation?

5. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I'd have a go but if I do, don't expect the video for quite a while, to do any filming or anything, you need prior permission from the sports centre and I've no idea how easy/hard this is to get.