Stinging machines in Toronto?

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by Nick, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Racquet Services
    Does anyone know of a good stringing machines at good prices in toronto? From personal experiences is learning to string hard? i know there are certain techniques but is it something that has to be apprenticed? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    Nick

2. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    can't say for prices in the Toronto area, but many stringer friends i know bought theirs mail order.

learning to string is not hard. it is really quite simple, the toughest part is figuring out how to use the tools. some stringer units come with nicely documented instructions, others come with poorly translated single page how-to-use.

the way to learn really is to get a bunch of racquets and string them up. it is also handy to have a strung racquet on hand that you can see the pattern. although most patterns are similar, each stringer does have their own little signature to the string job.

the prefered approach is to find a school or rec center that has racquets that need stringing. you can use the cheapest string for this project, and you get to learn and get used to the stringing action. you can quote them a lower cost than most other suppliers if you like, since this is a learning experience for you. the only thing you probably will not experience with this approach is high tension stringing which as another lesson altogether.

3. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Racquet Services
    Thanks for your prompt reply and informative reply badrad. I'm mainly interested in stringing in the area 20-25. Is there a particular brand that you could recommend. I'm looking for a 6 point and a fixed clamp. Those are the must haves. I say this because i'm assuming for higher tensions a 6 point stringer machine is preferable. I don't want to spend over 500 cdn for a stringing machine however if it recommend that i spend a little more to get a better machine because i am new then i will certainly do so. I've read all the forum topics regarding stringing machines but i would love some views from Canadians. I don't want to spend that much more on freight charges.

For those whom know about stringing machines have you heard of Beetle or scorpion on brownssports website? www.brownssports.com.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
    Nick

4. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    couldn't get onto the browns sport website.

hmmm - $500 for a fixed clamp and six point mounting. a bit on the tough side to get, although EAGNAS has a special on their EASY-3 model which they say is badminton specific using one fixed clamp and is priced at $349USD. the configuration looks a bit tacky, the fixed clamps looks like an inverted flying clamp sitting on a pedestal.

whether you spend more or less, you need to determine realistically how many racquets you plan to do each week. are you looking to string your own, and the occasional friends racquets, or do you plan on starting a stringing business. although the mounting is important and the tensioning head, so too is whether the unit is a portable, a desktop or a floor mount. each of these will govern how comfortable you will be stringing racquets long periods of time. on the average you can plan roughly an hour per racquet to start, eventually getting proficient to possibley 30 minutes per racquet. you need to make sure a unit will be comfortable to work with.

Rayco also sells a six point unit with two fixed clamps, their price is 395 USD.

Attached Files:

#4 badrad, Aug 28, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2002
  5. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    rayco unit

this is the rayco unit. i'm partial to rayco, i bought my first unit from them.

Attached Files:

6. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Racquet Services
    Thanks once again for your prompt reply badrad. I'm looking at the moment to string my racquets and the occasional friend racquet however i will be conducting a badminton business in the near future and i think it would be a smart thing to do to include stringing as part of my service.

Cheers,
    Nick

7. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Racquet Services
    Hey badrad should i go for a single or double action on the fixed clamps? I'm unsure i'm currently trying to find as much information about the rayco series of stringing machines. Did you order direct from them or did you go through a middle man. Thanks again.

Nick

8. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    single action

one of eagnas claim to fame is the the 360 degree swivel, allowing you to clamp in any direction. while this is a benefit, especially if you don't have to change the posts when you go from mains to cross, the mechanism requires you to lock the swivel before you can clamp the string. this design cuts down on parts, but the price paid is a bit of extra work/time for each pull. although this is not significant, this becomes a part your stringing action.

single action is a lot simpler, but rare to see in a lower end system or desktop. the rayco unit also uses a similar swivel mount - dual action, although the one pictured is not the one i bought years ago. my old unit i uses flying clamps. i bought directly from Rayco - i gave them a call on their toll free number, and ordered it. it took about 5 days to deliver.

the eagnas unit uses a crank tensioner. the crank does make tensioning a simpler task, and takes the guess work out whether the tension is accurate or not when compared with using a drop weight system. that might be something you want to consider.

if you do intend to work with the unit long term as a business, really consider either a standing model, with height adjustment, or a good work station setup which you can adjust height to yourself. you will normally stand at the unit for 30 to 50 minutes each string job. if you get a desktop, it may sound fun initially setting it on the coffee table and watch tv while you work, but it gets hard on the body. also in a sit down position, when you swivel the racquet, you have to get up or slide your butt to move the racquet around avoiding the racquet handle. there is a swing radius of the racquet length you have to work around.

get a movable light, it helps when you are trying to find the hole that might be covered or blocked by the mounting frame. also a cushion mat, or a foot stool helps while you are standing to provide some comfort.

9. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
  10. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    if money was no object

now this unit from Stringway is a real dream. i contacted them, there is a dealer in the us, but the price was like in the couple thousand range.

Attached Files:

11. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Racquet Services
    Badrad thanks alot for your detailed reply. That last machine does look like a real dream. :) I'll really check up on Rayco. Thanks alot.

CHeers,
    Nick

12. AKFT

AKFT Regular Member

The single fixed clamp on the Eagnas Easy-3 would make it easy to start the 1st mains. Thereafter, it might be easier to go to 2 Yonex flying clamps. I ended up getting the ST-200. However, the anhoring clamps for the frame can get loose easily, as some of the people have commented.

:)

13. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    i think that is why the six point on a lower end system would be a good idea. i noticed on the higher end models, the mounting clamps are more secure. definitely i found that difference between my old model and my current prince unit. the racquet head is very secure with the two point mount - provided i take care to ensure proper mounting. a few times i was not being too careful and did not secure the head properly and the racquet head slipped during a pull, no damage, but i had to re-start the string job.