1. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    It leaves such a bad taste in your mouth if you have to argue over 30 sec for the correct score, then end up winning with your opponent shaking his head thinking you cheated.
    I know the general rule is to just call out the score after each point - but when you dont and you do have to end up arguing, even winning feels bad since you know your opponent thinks you did it unfairly even when you are sure the score was what it was.

What do you guys think about this distasteful part of the sport?

2. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    this is tricky.
    try propose the score to 11-11 and continue. :)

3. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

I have played games where we forgot the scores. Just propose an even score close to what it were and continue.

That's why you should always call out scores in real competitions if there are no judges.

4. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    the problem isnt that we each forgot the scores, its that we each think the score is something different. And in a real competition every point matters so the arguements get heated. I would feel slighted if they proposed an even score and i was actually ahead.

5. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    If it leaves such a bad taste in your mouth, perhaps you should be calling out the score before every single serve. Regardless of which side is actually serving.

In a recreational game, forgetting the score (if you each think the score is something different, then the problem is that someone has forgotten the score) doesn't matter much. Just roll back a few points.

If it's a tournament situation where there isn't a judge, then swallow that bad taste, since it's just as much your own fault. Either always call out the score yourself, or repeatedly ask your opponent to do so (involve officials if needed).

6. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

Yep. In tournaments w/o judges, always either call out scores before each serve yourself, or ask your teammates to help calling the score (and do the same for their match). Complaining after the fact isn't going to help.

7. chilli

chilli Regular Member

optician/businessman
    The arrogant and competetive player will always argue...while the humble player will accept any settlement in the score. What's the prize anyway? If you're good, you'll win the next match with the same goof.

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If you think you did everything right (i.e. did not cheat), then why you have to care what others do? :rolleyes:

To me, what ever decision (give in to others, or insist your own idea) should be the one make you feel comfortable. Before make such a decision, ask yourself whether it's worth it. If yes, then go with it, no regret. If no, let it go, and give up some of your own ground. ;)

9. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

These mature answers from BC members demonstrate what makes badminton such a great sport. :)
    Being a gentleman might lose you a few points, or even a game. But it is better to have a reputation as a mature, fair player than to be regarded by your peers as a whiner.

10. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    i disagree. Not all competetive players are arrogent, and any humble player who acceptes any settlement in score for their competive matches will just lose game after game if they come up against someone who will take advantage of their good nature. Players of the same skill level dont have to have the same humble/arrogent mentality - if its a close game and one players calles out the wrong score ends up willing it by those lost points then there is no "If you're good, you'll win the next match..."

I think too many answers have been from these old adults who still play badminton recreationally/local competive. In junior, rankeds serious tournaments theres a lot more on the line and there isnt a "oh ill just play again next year".

Thanks for all of your answers so far, this specific case that made me post a thread on bcentral - i did end up calling out the score every single point in the second game and there was no more drama. Again, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth knowing that my opponent thinks i cheated.

11. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Ahh sometimes you still forget the score even though you yell out the score between a serve. Especially during long rallies, you're not gonna try to think of the score when you rally, sometimes it starts to slip out since you're getting too intense.