Playing badminton with 2 racquets

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by JustinG, Mar 28, 2009.

1. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

Hey. I was wondering if it is technically legal to use 2 rackets in an official (tournament setting) match. Please only respond if you know for sure and can provide evidence of your claim - many people have just given me their opinion but I'm looking for an official written rule.
    Thanks a lot.

2. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    There's nothing specifically prohibiting it, but then the rulebook can't cover for every eventuality - if another player were to lodge a complaint, the event organisers (or umpire possibly?) could (dis)allow it at their discretion.

It's a stupid, pointless question though - not to mention it's been asked before, if you'd bother to search.

3. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

Sorry, at first I had trouble understanding your response because it was too ultra friendly. Anyway, I did search and find this topic in the forums, but I requested evidence and none of those posts had evidence. Just people giving their opinion, like what you just did. However, I know your opinion must be correct because you said it so authoritatively. I'm sure the sound of your voice alone would be enough evidence to justify anything you say, but since I can't hear it, maybe I'll just ask the question again and anyone who has some actual evidence can respond.
    Thanks again for the insight Sketchy.

4. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

There is no explicit rule against it,
    http://www.internationalbadminton.org/statues1-pdf/Laws of Badminton.pdf
    but BWF has the authority to rule if equipment complies with the rule if someone complains (See 5 Equipment Compliance)

If you play recreationally you can play around if your opponents don't mind. There is no demonstrable advantage for using 2 rackets so far.

5. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    Hey. I was wondering if it is technically legal to use 2 shuttles in an official (tournament setting) match. Please only respond if you know for sure and can provide evidence of your claim - many people have just given me their opinion but I'm looking for an official written rule.
    Thanks a lot.

Hey. I was wondering if it is technically legal to use a giant industrial turbine in an official (tournament setting) match. Please only respond if you know for sure and can provide evidence of your claim - many people have just given me their opinion but I'm looking for an official written rule.
    Thanks a lot.

You want an official written rule for your stupid and pointless question? Please read through the rules of badminton again. Notice how only the singular "player's racket" is used, implying that only one racket is to be used by each player.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Seriously, a lot of "gray area" rules may not really need a "evidence" or written law to be enforced.

Put this way, if you play a formal tournament or try to drop in a club after eating a dinner of 3 lbs of garlic and smelly tofu, or going there without taking shower for 2 weeks, and non-clean clothes, they may politely disqualify you or ask you to leave. All such and such do not have any written rule regarding badminton techniques, but can be considered as "common sense" according to most public.