What do you feel about the ban on Tony Gunawan?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ALI, Aug 28, 2002.

1. ALI

ALI Regular Member

Student
    Hi. I'm really unhappy that PBSI put the ban on Tony Gunawan. I feel it's inconsiderate as Tony Gunawan is only playing in tournaments to earn money. He already confirmed that he won't represent US in the Olympic Games or any other multisport event, nor will he try to pose a treat to Indonesia's badminton.

Personally, I feel that PBSI should be more open. Yes, I know PBSI had did a great job in making Tony Gunawan a World/Olympic Champion, but sometimes, they should learn to release their players. To me, I would describe the scenario like this: Tony Gunawan (as a child of PBSI), was treated very well when he stayed with his parents (PBSI). However, when one day, Tony Gunawan told his parents that he wanted to go study overseas, his parents said "If you insist on going overseas, then I'll break my relation with you!" Come on, Tony Gunawan is not rebelling against his parents, he is just doing that for the good of himself and his own family! Don't you feel it's true?

I would also describe PBSI is a ghost. Even after you leave it, it will still come back and haunt you. I'm so glad to see Tony Gunawan is back and playing in tournaments, but I really can't imagine that PBSI treated him like that!

I really hope to hear your opinions about this. I hope that I can see many replies that objects PBSI's actions! Thanks for all your replies!

2. LIPlayer

LIPlayer Regular Member

This is a topic where I do have very strong views.

In my opinion, PBSI or Chinese for this matter do acts like the seventeen-century masters and badminton players are their slaves. They control their life as they own them. They treat them in a same manner. If they misbehave or don't do exactly what they told them to do, they treat them very harshly. If they try to run away they search and destroy them so they can teach lessons to other players not to do the same.

Come one, grow up. This is 21st century. There is something call freedom, liberty & individualism. Please respect individual life, if you cannot help them then just back off don't destroy them at least. Not every thing is national pride. Players in question like Taufiq, Tony, and many Chinese ex-national and other Indonesian players, are true assets to badminton world. These countries are rich in badminton talents since lot of their public plays badminton. In West, especially USA, such players can create big change in public perception of badminton game.

Look at the big picture; if they release some of their players to the West, badminton may get relatively more popular in the West. Money will come in this sport with popularity in West and then today's 5 star tournament prize money will look like peanuts. Here in USA, I feel embarrass to tell people about money earned by top international badminton players. I understand that players can live comfortably in Indonesia and China with such prize money but in USA a top athletes can’t pay just one month of his/her living with that money.

Bottom line, if Indonesia and China want this sport to be popular in west then they should relax rules. They will also be the beneficiaries in a long run.

3. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    I strongly agree. The Singapore Open is an individual sport, unlike Thomas Cup. If Tony Gunawan plays for China and strengthen their double teams in the Thomas Cup, then Indonesia should protect.

But there may be a reason that Indonesia can protect. In China, most of the prize money goes to the federation. I don't know if it is the same in Indonesia. Then Indonesia may protect because they lost part of the prize money Tony earned.

It's really sad that both Indonesia and China are ruled by dictators.

4. modious

modious Regular Member

I feel that it's very unfair towards him and also to the sport.

If more players of his calibre migrates to the West, it may help to popularise the sport and bring it to another level.

It's not as if IND are going to lose all the time just because Gunawan has left, IND definately have upcoming and capable players to take over....

5. AKFT

AKFT Regular Member

I actually fee bad for Tony because he is now between a rock and a hard place. There is no turning back for him, so I wish him luck with his new master.

This whole affair reinforces my post about a month back(http://www.badmintonforum.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6344) commenting on the popularity of badminton in "the rest of the world". I indicated at the time the strong sense of nationalism within the sport is actually detrimental to the popularity of the game. These star players should be promoted as individual athletes similar to the way tennis stars are being promoted, and not as team members of a certain country. Corporate sponsors will not support the athletes as national team members the way they would if they were individuals. The bottom line is, badminton is too divided by country lines for its own good.

:)

#5 AKFT, Aug 28, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2002
  6. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    I thought that Tony isn't going to play in the Indonesian Open because he has get back to the US for school.

Regardless, the PBSI trying to prevent Tony from playing under the US banner (in individual events). Would it be okay for Tony to be playing in individual events under the INA banner? There are no details on why Tony is under the US in the Singapore Open (unless the USAB is paying for part of Tony's expenses).

I would agreed that until Tony becomes a US citizen, he wouldn't be able to represent the US in team events but in the meantime, he should be able to play in other events representing himself.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i agree with most of you. Tony should be able to play for the US.

however, i think i understand why PBSI is so upset about it. Tony originally said he is going to the US to study, and to coach in the US to pay for his tuition, etc. which is all very great, but suddenly he sprung up and started wearing the US flag on his back. i think PBSI is a little bit surprised about it. and probably felt a little bit cheated. and of course the bearucrats in PBSI just wants some face back.

Tony is definitely a boost to US badminton if he didn't come too late for the current batch of player, he will be there to train the next generation.

8. sjoe

sjoe Regular Member

Engineer
    PBSI and Chinese badminton should grow up, Tony, Taufiq had paid they debt to their association. Without Tony and Taufiq, do you think Indonesia will win 2000 Thomas Cup and Olympic Gold medal ?
    Tony and Taufiq has a right even to play for Indonesia in any team event if they can qualify the selection as long as they still Indonesian (Citizenship). Many tennis and golf players are not residing in their country of citizenship but they still can play Davis cup and all other individual tournament and with their country of citizenship attached to their name. Do you think that Leyton Hewitt lives in Australia for the 12 months in a year ?.
    I believe if players like Tony and Taufiq challenge the PBSI in the court for banning them to play for Indonesia, they will win. Banning Tony and Taufiq from playing for other country in Open tournaments clamming that the "contract" bla...bla..bla has no
    jurisdiction at all.
    PBSI killed Taufiq playing career, now Tony ?.
    My advice to Tony and Taufiq is, do what ever you feel is best for your future, let PBSI worry about banning through IBF and see if IBF will lose its popularity or not.
    Mia, Wang Chen, Yao Ye are the example, they still can play.
    Good Luck Tony and Taufiq.

9. ALI

ALI Regular Member

Student
    Hi. I'm glad to see so many people who agrees with my view.

You see, Tony Gunawan cannot represent Indonesia when he's at USA, because he's a doubles player, not singles player. If PBSI insists that he plays under the INA banner, then does it mean that he have to play with his INA partner without any training before matches?

Let's hope that PBSI lift the ban on Tony Gunawan. If I am able to do something, I will surely put some pressure on PBSI...

10. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    But surely Tony could have played under Indonesian flag even though he plays doubles? There are many other pairs of mixed nationality. The Singapore Open isn't a team event, so a USA/IND pair would be odd but possible. Or was it in fact USA Badminton that forced him to play for the States?

11. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Yes, we kept saying PSBI is wrong. Tony could have worn a shirt without "USA" at the back to avoid all these trouble. He could have entered the tournment as Tony(INA)/??? (USA). Thomas Lund (Denmark) and Catrine Bengtsson (Sweden) won the world champion before.

12. AKFT

AKFT Regular Member

Unfortunately, I think Tony is just caught between 2 sets of egos. I doubt that, for his own advancement in badminton, he would think that partnering any US player would get him further in his ranking than partnering with his INA teamates. He obvious has other objectives when he chose to come over the the US. I tend to think those reasons have nothing to do with advancements of his badminton career. He would have to know that once he is away from the badminton culture that they have in SE Asia, his game will go down hill. It is inevitable.

:)

13. ivan

ivan Regular Member

Student
    Well¡K. I agree with you guys, and its funny if you take a look at U.S. national team, there is not even a single native player in the team, they are mostly immigrants.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Funny, I would have thought all US teams have 99.99% non-indigenous population characteristics.......

15. Tezta.com

Tezta.com Regular Member

I stay at home as much as possible
    Singapore is the same way,
    hendra wijaya, indra wijaya, ronald susilo=indonesia
    li li, luxi xiao, liu fan, liu zhen=china ;)

16. sporty

sporty Regular Member

Student
    Went to watch Singapore Open and cheered for Tony Gunawan and Malaythong when they played against the "MASTER" Ha/Kim.... guess they enjoyed playing.... quite sad to hear that he cannot play anymore.. but I guess he will just take it easy cos his main aim in USA is to study...
    =)