Buyers Remorse AT-900P

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by KazeCloud, Mar 28, 2009.

1. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Hi. My dad just bought me a At-900P in China the other day, I still haven't held it yet. But everybody on the forum seems to be in love with the At-700 OLD just like the old Ti-10 instead. They didn't have the At-700 OLD at the store, so I just said get the At-900P. I'm having a bit of a buyers remorse now after I read so many people's posts and they say how the At-700 is such a godly powerful racket. Even though everybody is different, more people like the At-700. I would regard myself as a player that has definitely pass the beginners stage and smashed faster when I was using tighter strings. I'm varsity #2 singles on my team even though my team isn't that good, but just to give a bit of background to how I play. I don't know if I should of just been a bit more patience and waited until my parents can find a At-700 or just buy an At-700 old from Bbeshop when they got home. I don't know, maybe I'm just asking for some condolence that I didn't make a bad decision, or that the At-900P isn't that bad, or maybe the At-700 isn't THAT gosh darn powerful...:(

Edit: I got a 3ug5 At-900P. I'm not sure what code yet.

#1 KazeCloud, Mar 28, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  2. Tsumaranai

Tsumaranai Regular Member

Student
    If it's from China, then it is probably CH-coded. I don't see that you should experience such woe. It is simply a racket that is not as easily found in some instances. Definitely still out there and not as difficult to acquire as a first-gen Ti-10. I also don't believe that it is truly that much better than its 2nd iteration. Perhaps you could just try a new-colored AT 700. I would also like to put in that I would never get such an expensive gift from my parents. :(

The AT 900P is a fine racket and will be a bit better for defense, as it is less head-heavy in most instances, and is stronger structurally.

3. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Just to gladden you, note that the AT-900P beat the AT-700 in the Men's Singles final of the recent 2009 Swiss Open :D

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about the racquet at all.
    Much of the 'who-this-is-for' is marketing hype.
    In real terms, it means almost nothing.

For instance, Lin Dan and Tony Gunawan use the AT-700.
    Both are successful players - one in singles and the other in doubles.
    There's no point of resemblance between them in either muscular build, playing style or age.

Similarly, Lee Chong Wei, Markis Kido and Wang Yihan use the AT-900P.
    Compare the physiques and playing styles of the three - see any similarity?

It's time to promise yourself that you will no longer be taken in by marketing nonsense ;)

PS: Enjoy your present :)

4. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Thank you both for some very enlightening posts. Its just I'm tired of looking at At-900P threads and reviews, and in every single thread some bastard in it goes, "GET THE AT-700 IF YOU WANT MORE SMASH, IT'S A POWERHOUSE WOOOOOOT!!!" >_>

Edit: Post #500 heh. I want to switch my username. And just to add. My physique is a more muscular type build. Even though I really never actually had a concern of how many professional players used the racket, although I'm happy some do use the At-900P such as the great player Lee Chong Wei.

Tsumaranai the racket could be HK I'm not sure if they bought it there. My parents usually don't buy me stuff like this either, but I told them I really wanted a racket and I just got accepted to Davis so.

#4 KazeCloud, Mar 28, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  5. Tsumaranai

Student
    Indeed, marketing gimmicks are quite prevalent in this and other markets.

Lol, awesome. I've been accepted there, as well, but I probably won't be going.

6. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Aw why not. Where do you live??? Davis is great!!!

7. Tsumaranai

Student
    Lol, I personally don't find it that appealing. I don't think I'd quite enjoy the lack of intimacy with professors. It is a good school. It just doesn't really suit my needs. The reality of a 4 year institution that's not technically leaning towards any set of values just presents the notion that the first couple of years are not exactly as beneficial as they could be, with classes being mainly general ed. Traditional schools also seem to teach about theory more than application, at least for my desired major. Davis is also a large school, like Berkeley, which I was not accepted to, but the teachers are really there more for research than teaching in many cases.

8. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Oh okay. For me as long as I go into a school that my parents think is good, then I'm good. Good for you though.

Back to the topic though. =P

9. Tsumaranai

Student
    Haha, just one more comment, if you will. That's a terrible reason to pick a college!! Parents aren't exactly the best judges, and neither is prestige.

Resuming the topic...I own an AT 900P and it is quite stiff. Perhaps not as stiff as rackets from other brands, but still. It is easy enough to maneuver, but sometimes the longer handle seems to reduce the overall snap of the shaft. The AT 700 has been said by many other people to be only around medium stiff in Yonex standards, but with a very good snap to produce that aforementioned power. Of course, power shouldn't be the most important part of a game. You probably aren't giving much up in the long run with the AT 900P. By the virtue of recommending other brands, people don't seem to favor Yonex's rackets as being among the most powerful, anyway.

10. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Well nobody here remembers how badass the MP99 was in the day... same with nobody talking about how powerful the NS8000 and Ti-10 new (they're all extremely powerful). So dont' go with the hype, it's not worth it.