Tactics for mixed doubles vs. mens doubles, no gender tournament

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by macazteeg, Mar 28, 2009.

1. macazteeg

macazteeg Regular Member

Psychologist
    Hi guys!! I recently entered an in-house club tournament. Its a no gender tournament, my partner is my girlfriend which obviously means we are mixed doubles. So we have to play matches with both mixed doubles and mens doubles pairs in the tournament since its a no gender tournament, advanced players will have to enter the tournament in mixed doubles (having a girl as their partner) while intermediate players are in mens doubles. I was just wondering if maybe you guys could share any tactics or techniques regarding this situation, if your in a mixed doubles pair playing with a mens doubles pair, thank you very much!

2. Sounan

Sounan New Member

Student
    Well, you'll generally be in the attacking position (her in front, you in the back) so I would keep the game fast, with little or no clears. You should do plenty of smashes and drops, and she should take care of any weak returns at the net by killing them off. Keep on the offensive.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    1. make sure you have a big smash
    2. play mixed formation
    3. make sure your partner (the girl) don't lift. have her do netshots all the time.
    4. you only do drop or smash, or push to the net, don't ever lift.
    5. when your opponent lift. smash.

if you can fulfill the above, then you have a good chance.

4. macazteeg

macazteeg Regular Member

Psychologist
    that's the problem, i do have a really good smash, but my speed and endurance cant take the fast pace of the rallies most of the time, so i will have to control the pace if i want to win. Another problem is, my partner cant defend, so i'll have to defend by myself, all she can do is set up the smashes by counter dropping or doing pushes and drives in the net, anyways thanks for the suggestions!

5. OSFcross

OSFcross Regular Member

Registered Nurse
    Why? What's stopping her from defending? Didn't you practice mixed rotation?

6. macazteeg

macazteeg Regular Member

Psychologist
    we do, but she has really weak defenses, she can defend properly against other girls like her, but against guys she's really having a difficult time. she will just keep on giving the ball high on the net

7. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    If you want to do well in the tournament, get a new girlfriend who plays better, then follow kwun's advice. If you're not going to get a new girlfriend, then you will probably lose very easily.

Seriously, let's recap:

1) In the tournament, advanced males play in mixed, intermediate play in MD.
    2) You're playing in mixed, but your "speed and endurance cant take the fast pace of" doubles.
    3) Your partner isn't good.

Despite all this, you want some other way to win.

8. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    If you really need to lift, go into side/side position, but when the lift comes back, you must cover and she must take the net.

9. macazteeg

macazteeg Regular Member

Psychologist
    Good advice! get a new girlfriend who plays better!! :D:D

10. macazteeg

macazteeg Regular Member

Psychologist
    we cant go into side to side position, because my partner has very weak defense against smashes, when she lifts i'll have to defend all by myself, that's why we cant lift the ball

11. kirbosmash

kirbosmash Regular Member

Don't get pissed at her. There are much more important things than winning a badminton game.

I disagree with one of Kwun's advice. The girl should not net drop all the time. In fact she should barely net drop - most of her shots should be push shots (drives) to set up awkward shots = smash/kill. This is because should she drop it, the resulting pushes will be hard on your knees. As in lots of side/side running - i know from personal experience.

Most important thing though is stay positive, remember it's to have fun and not to win - especially your partner being your girlfriend.

12. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Against more experienced mixed players, you can't always expect the ideal set up to smash. Sure it can be effective at the correct times, same as a net drop. A well executed net drop can result in a mid-court lift. I'm guessing from your experience, your partner probably did a high net drop in front of the opponent's girl resulting in you being toyed with. Now if that net drop was done at a better time, e.g. girl not waiting in front of the net for that specific shot, then the advantage would be yours. I really don't know how much experience you have, but I wouldn't mind seeing it first hand. I'm always up to play against other BC people.

13. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    I've been in the same situation before, but not in a tournament.

Just last night, actually, I played mixed against 2 male opponents. My partner also has a weak defense, but she's really good at drop shots and tight net shots. She's also good at flicking the shuttle just above the net. What I do is set up the play and have my partner kill it. We won straight game. :)

Ask your girlfriend to hold her racket up all the time (enough not to obstruct you) so that she wouldn't have to make extra swing when she makes a net kill.

When attacking, big smash is good, but good placement and deceitful shots are better. You have to deceive the players on the other side of the court. Make it look like you're hitting in this direction then switch to the other side at the last second. Vary the speed of your smash. Good slices will come in handy.

Avoid lifting. Opt for a tight drop shot when you're in an awkward position. Make it slow so that you'd have time to recuperate to a better stance.

When lifting couldn't be avoided, your partner need not go side to side with you. She can still defend at the front court. You call that "crouch defense". She only has to back up slightly behind the service line. She must position herself cross-court the attacker so that the travel of the shuttle is slower. Racket up higher this time! Knees bended and stable to the ground. You, on the other hand, also have to support her in case she misses the shuttle, of course still committed on defending the straight smash from the opponent.

I hope this helps :)

#13 venkatesh, Mar 31, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  14. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

You see, this is why you have to test a girl's skills in badminton before you progress further in the relationship. ;)

15. macazteeg

macazteeg Regular Member

Psychologist
    Thanks man!! really good advice, i would consider that! thank you very much man!!

16. macazteeg

macazteeg Regular Member

Psychologist
    I sure want to play with you man, But iM here in the Philippines :p:p

17. macazteeg

macazteeg Regular Member

Psychologist
    Great tactic!! Thanks very much man, this will surely help, actually we've been practicing this type of defense, including tight crosscourt drops at the net and both fast/slow crosscourt drops.. Thanks man!!

18. macazteeg

macazteeg Regular Member

Psychologist
    Thanks for all your replies guys!! Thank you very mcuh,, because of all your advice, we've reached the crossover semifinals and got a sure ticket to the finals later, thank you very much!! Please wish us luck, prayers are greatly accepted!! :)

19. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Wait a minute! What tournament is this? What court? Where?

Do I know you? What school did you represent?

#19 venkatesh, Apr 1, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  20. macazteeg

macazteeg Regular Member

Psychologist

It is just a club tournament at Rizal Memorial Badminton hall, at Vito Cruz Manila. I dont represent any school right now, I just graduated from De La Salle University :):)