User Tag List

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fidget View Post
    You're right, it's got to be carrots and sticks.
    Just look at the child of an over-indulgent parent and you'll see the results of unmitigated positive reinforcement.
    True, but no one's talking about pampering. We don't want them to be pampered, or be hampered too.
    You can still apply this to kids, but Fergie must be ridiculous if he wants to keep Ronaldo through his negative reinforcement. Like it or not, special offers etc still play the role.
    As for Hafiz, he's been given chances over and over, because the choices for Malaysia are limited. I don't think we pampered him too much, coz i remembered once he complaint about his income and pardon me, but i think he got another job other than being a pro-player to support him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by koo_fan View Post
    True, but no one's talking about pampering. We don't want them to be pampered, or be hampered too.
    You can still apply this to kids, but Fergie must be ridiculous if he wants to keep Ronaldo through his negative reinforcement. Like it or not, special offers etc still play the role.
    As for Hafiz, he's been given chances over and over, because the choices for Malaysia are limited. I don't think we pampered him too much, coz i remembered once he complaint about his income and pardon me, but i think he got another job other than being a pro-player to support him.
    it is still called pampering when he got paid and produced nothing.
    It is easy to say we dont like pampering our kids or torture our kids but no one know where to draw the line.
    Last edited by cooler; 04-01-2009 at 01:15 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler View Post
    it is still called pampering when he got paid and produced nothing.
    It is easy to say we dont like pampering our kids or torture our kids but no one know where to draw the line.
    Not really, cooler.
    We payed him to play, and he did that. Of course he owned the money he got.

But i'd like you to suggest any Malaysian single player's name during 2004-2008 to replace him. Juniors are too unprepared to be apart of MAS team in previous Thomas Cup etc.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great work,macazteeg!
    How about giving BAM some free consultation?
    What would you say to HH to get him to train harder than LCW?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler View Post
    Another example of negative reinforcement related to badminton is :

Hafiz is still the skilful player we all know. In India this time, he was able to push himself, probably because of the stern warning from the BAM, said Rashid.

It seem all the past positive reinforcment since HH's last success in 2006 phillipine open,didn't work.
    That is why I've said before that before the negative reinforcements must come, a player should already be personally reinforced/ self motivated, in simple terms one must already have a personal reason to play and excel, there should be a balance of the positive reinforcments especially when the individual is already personally reinforced, more positive reinforcements can create a certain comfort zone in which a person might opt to stay with, like with the case of HH. However this is not an example of negative reinforcement, this is an example of punishment. Negative reinforcement and punishment differs in a way that: Negative reinfrocements are aversive conditions which where known to an individual which causes the individual to avoid the aversive condition, this motivates him to elicit a positive response, a punishment however is an act or behavior that presents an aversive condition when an individual elicits a negative response (giving warnings, yellow card or red card in a badminton match). Both should be given when a player is already self reinforced. In the case of HH, I think he might have lost that sense of self-motivation, that is due to the overwhelming amount of postive reinforcements he had a created a comfort zone in which he already chooses to dwell. The only solution is for him to find reasons for him to play again and get to the top, at the same time these punishments given to him should get him out of his comfort zone, if he never finds his own reasons to play again these punishments are sure to make him quit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by koo_fan View Post

That job presented a better reinforcement to him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pjswift View Post
    Great work,macazteeg!
    How about giving BAM some free consultation?
    What would you say to HH to get him to train harder than LCW?
    Man, I think they already have their own sport psychologist, especially chong wei, he has his own personal psychologist. Well I can't say anything to HH, he must find his own motivation to play, that I can help him find if ever I can get to talk with him (as if Im his own Sport Psychologist )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Frustrated

Hi (I saw your thread just afterI posted my other message!)

I started playing badminton at the start of last year, and I have been playing 2 or 3 times per week plus been having 1 on 1 coaching sessions for the last 9 months (which include 2 or 3 games of singles against good players eg. at junior national level). I concentrate on singles rather than doubles.

I cope pretty well during coaching, managing to cope with the drills etc without making too many mistakes. But when I play singles games in tournaments, I just can't seem to apply what I have learned in coaching to the actual games. It's like I have not remembered anything.

I think a major part of the problem is mental - I get too nervous before games and seem to freeze up and not concentrate enough on doing the right movements/shots. Perhaps I'm also putting too much pressure on myself to win?

I guess what I'm asking is: how do I apply what I have learned in coaching to the games, and what mindset should I be in in order to do so?

Thanks for your help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, I've been asked to play at a tournament in a nearby city. I'm taking the place of my friend who is FAR better than i am in doubles.

Any who, I'm worried that the tournament is in 2 days, and i have only one day left to practice with my partner. We were practicing today and we were doing O.K, but i don't feel that it is good enough in order to compete against the other schools in the tournament. Also, my coach says to always stay calm, relax, and focus while i'm serving, but every time I'm about to serve, my heart's pounding and i can never focus.
    What should my mindset be on while i'm playing, and will i be able to be prepared for the tournament ahead? Would i be able to fulfill the roles of my position, and have confidence in my playing if i were to think as such?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AznAndrew View Post
    Hey, I've been asked to play at a tournament in a nearby city. I'm taking the place of my friend who is FAR better than i am in doubles.

Any who, I'm worried that the tournament is in 2 days, and i have only one day left to practice with my partner. We were practicing today and we were doing O.K, but i don't feel that it is good enough in order to compete against the other schools in the tournament. Also, my coach says to always stay calm, relax, and focus while i'm serving, but every time I'm about to serve, my heart's pounding and i can never focus.
    What should my mindset be on while i'm playing, and will i be able to be prepared for the tournament ahead? Would i be able to fulfill the roles of my position, and have confidence in my playing if i were to think as such?
    Just wonder whether you experienced such pressure on yourself when you play socially? If not, just imagine you are enjoying just another social game with your next partner.

Talk to your partner in between rallies, don't look at your opponents when you serve, look at the shuttle and imagine it crossing the net at exactly where you whated it to be, laugh a bit, smile and yes, Relax Man!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AznAndrew View Post

I'd advice a soprt psychology relaxation technique combined with mental imagery and visualization, this is what I need you to do:

1. Get to a place where you could be alone, maybe inside your room but it will be much better inside an empty badminton court
    2. Sit, try to relax, focus on your breathing, take long deep breaths, relax at least for 2 minutes, when you feel your body getting heavy close your eyes, block all thought from coming in, just think nothing and focus on your breathing
    3. Think of an empty court, one by one filling up with people, imagine you with your partner playing against an imaginary opponent
    4. Block all negative thoughts, think if a positive winning environment with all your shots getting in and making the right placement of shots at all times,
    5 try to visualize the exact details, the smell, the feel of the racket, the crowd, the breathing, every little detail there is
    6. Never give in to thoughts of negativity especially losing or getting the match out of your control.
    7. Shut out all thoughts, think about nothing, and focus again on your breathing for about a minute
    8. Slowly open youre eyes

Repeat this process before the match starts, this will make you associate the pressure and nervousness with relaxation and positive thinking once the match starts. When the match is on, focus on your breathing every after a rally and take long deep breaths before you serve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rohanh View Post
    Hi (I saw your thread just afterI posted my other message!)

I started playing badminton at the start of last year, and I have been playing 2 or 3 times per week plus been having 1 on 1 coaching sessions for the last 9 months (which include 2 or 3 games of singles against good players eg. at junior national level). I concentrate on singles rather than doubles.

I cope pretty well during coaching, managing to cope with the drills etc without making too many mistakes. But when I play singles games in tournaments, I just can't seem to apply what I have learned in coaching to the actual games. It's like I have not remembered anything.

I think a major part of the problem is mental - I get too nervous before games and seem to freeze up and not concentrate enough on doing the right movements/shots. Perhaps I'm also putting too much pressure on myself to win?

I guess what I'm asking is: how do I apply what I have learned in coaching to the games, and what mindset should I be in in order to do so?

Thanks for your help.

Hey bro, i've posted a step by step guide to relaxation, visualization and positive thinking on this thread, this will be one of the solutions to your problem, kindly follow the step by step guide, do this before and after training and before a match starts, im sure this will help you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the way, here are a few journals that were written to consider the effectiveness of visualization, relaxation and positive imagery on pro athletes:

A number of journals were written on the book of Stephen Bull Ph.D. (Sport Psychology; a Self-help Guide) on the use of imagery and other coping strategies in sport psychology:
    Khristo Markov, the 1988 Olympic triple jump champion from Bulgaria, was at pains to stress that much of his victory in Seoul was due to his additional commitment to his mental program from 1987. Speaking at his victory press conference in Korea, he said that he had worked hard at increasing the number of jumping repetitions per week by using my thought. ‘My challenge in Seoul was mental rather than physical, but I was well prepared. I had seen myself jumping in that stadium many times before’.

Brazilian middle-distance star Joaquin Cruz, commented after his victory in the Los Angeles 800m final, ‘a day before the race I picture myself winning 100 times. I never give myself the chance to picture myself losing’. While he may not call this strategy visualization, mental rehearsal or imagery, he was using it. He was building confidence and rehearsing a number of tactical ideas without suffering from fatigue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello!!, i am just reminding everyone if you have questions to ask regarding sport psychology or how to improve your mental game in badminton, please feel free to ask in this thread, i'll gladly help you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your advice! I just read this thread now, very helpful!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm taking part in a tournament this week, during round robin, i keep telling myself i can do, i can win it, i gave 110% during the game, the next day i realised that i had injured myself both my knee. My body took a beating.
    i feel like my mental strenth has overpower my body strenght which caused my injury...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dear macazteeg,

as a sportsman in any sport; particularly badminton, in order to excel, i personally think there are 3 major components that makes a great competitor, namely: innate talent (a), dedication/practice (b) and mental/psychological makeup (c).

my query is with regards to (c) mental/psychological/positive thinking/visualisation. how helpful is it when everyone nowadays thinks positive? boils down to the strongest and toughest mindsets (survival of the fittest?)? but i suppose mindsets and physical dedication can be attuned but the innateness of ones capability can't (can't be tweaked that much more, i guess...)...thus, the chance of winning against an innately talented is a futile exercise given the same amount of physical dedication and mental isometrics applied?

Many thanks,
    MetalOrange

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast