User Tag List

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Genetics only play a role at a professional level (if at all). Most of us can attain a very high level of profeciency in anything we do with hard-work, and proper training. With that being said, I find the "genetic arguement" ridiculous and way over played.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinG View Post
    Genetics only play a role at a professional level (if at all). Most of us can attain a very high level of profeciency in anything we do with hard-work, and proper training. With that being said, I find the "genetic arguement" ridiculous and way over played.
    Yes, many of us can attain a high level with lots of hard work. But haven't you noticed the lucky sods (at any level) who don't seem to have to work so hard to get the same results? Call it genetics or call it karma, but things come more easily to some than to others.

The other obvious "natural" characteristic that can trump hard-work is temperament. Some of it is inborn and some is styled by experience, but someone's personality can make the difference between winning and losing in an otherwise even match-up. A psychologist may teach you to accentuate this and downplay that, but all the Sigmund Freuds in the world can't change your natural temperament.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting thoughts. Those "lucky sods" that you are referring to are no more than a myth or a misconception. Was Mozart's genius related to genetics, or due to the fact that he was raised in a musical family and worked like a dog his whole life to improve his craft?

Is Tiger Woods genetically superior in some way that makes him able to hit some little golf balls into holes better than anyone else?

Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzsky, Roger Federer, Pele, Ali, the list goes on...

Which brings me to your next question...If, and I say if, a person's temperment is somewhat determined by genetics, it would be on such a small scale that it would most definately NOT trump hard-work. Personality can be shaped, molded, and refined no matter what genetic inferiorities are at play.

IMO

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Justin, you actually think that Mozart had to work that hard in writing his music? He was playing piano practically self-taught and writing music by the time he was 3 yrs old!

As you get more experience in life, you'll come to realize that everyone is unique and different with different gifts and attributes. Some people are gifted physically, some verbally, some musically, some socially, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I do believe that Mozart had to work extremely hard to write his music; infact, it has been documented that he was obbsessed with his music, and refining his craft. I am sorry but I have to correct you, Mozart was not self-taught. His father is/was one of the best known composers of his time and created some terrific works. Mozart was not born a genius (prodigy) he was created as so through his unique upbringing and passion to learn.

I agree that everyone is unique and has different gifts, but this is largley shaped by experiences (or lack there of) not genetics.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Mozart was not self-taught

Quote Originally Posted by JustinG View Post

Yes, I do believe that Mozart had to work extremely hard to write his music; infact, it has been documented that he was obbsessed with his music, and refining his craft. I am sorry but I have to correct you, Mozart was not self-taught. His father is/was one of the best known composers of his time and created some terrific works. Mozart was not born a genius (prodigy) he was created as so through his unique upbringing and passion to learn.

I agree that everyone is unique and has different gifts, but this is largley shaped by experiences (or lack there of) not genetics.

We learn as we observe/study how others do it. And we can be taught by a teacher/coach, and/or we can copy how others do it.

The bottom line is 'We still need "others" to help us to be taught'.

IMHO, 'self-taught' only applies when we invent/introduce something new that others have not done/known it before. And usually, it's just a modification of others' know-how.
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 04-23-2010 at 02:57 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post

IMHO, 'self-taught' only applies when we invent/introduce something new that others have not done/known it before. And usually, it's just a modification of others' know-how.
    then your opinion goes against the definition of self-taught.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow We still need "others" to help us to be taught

Quote Originally Posted by amleto View Post

then your opinion goes against the definition of self-taught.

Perhaps I think of the definition of self-taught differently. What I mentioned was:- 'We still need "others" to help us to be taught'.

Just look at the many 'Teach Yourself' books available. In a way, we are still taught by the authors of the books.
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 04-23-2010 at 01:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey,
    This is so nice you are player too. i also love psychology subject and i also wanna get degree in that. so if any question arised in front then i will ask from you.

cheers!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey,
    This is so nice you are player too. i also love psychology subject and i also wanna get degree in that. so if any question arised in front then i will ask from you.

cheers!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes and thanks! im still accepting questions so just post it here in the topics and i will answer as soon as i could, keep em questions coming please

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Vizualization of shot : When I remember to or have enough time to do it, visualizing the shot just before I make it has helped make my shots very accurate. Has anyone else have this experience too?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh, good resurrection.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    Vizualization of shot : When I remember to or have enough time to do it, visualizing the shot just before I make it has helped make my shots very accurate. Has anyone else have this experience too?
    That's exactly what good golfers do.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not just golfers, race car drivers do it as well. So do gymnasts, figure skaters, archers to name a few.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by latecomer View Post
    That's exactly what good golfers do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borbor View Post
    Not just golfers, race car drivers do it as well. So do gymnasts, figure skaters, archers to name a few.
    Interesting. I always knew visualizing before the game is important, but doing it just before a shot makes a huge difference to me. Somehow I feel as if my brain and muscles are acting as one and does exactly what I had intended. I'll have to remember to do this more often.

Also, this thread has a lot of excellent advice re application of psychology in the game.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    Somehow I feel as if my brain and muscles are acting as one and does exactly what I had intended.
    Yes, because the visualization is the dress rehearsal. Your brain doesn't know the difference (on the subconscious level) between whether you physically hit the shuttle or not. So when you actually need to do it, it's pretty straightforward because you've done it once already.

Which is exactly why it's always important to focus using a positive frame. Instead of "don't hit it out", one needs to focus "hit it on the line" The mind doesn't process "don't". Use the first thought and 9 times out of 10 that bird is going to go out. Read the line "DON'T think of a pink elephant" and what do you think happens?

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast