Arc 10 vs MP-99

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by zqcebtmu, Mar 29, 2009.

1. zqcebtmu

zqcebtmu Regular Member

I've just upgraded to an Arc-10 from an MP-99 recently and my goodness... the two rackets feel the same to me... Am i the only one that feels this way? Both of them are G4 grip sizes and strung with nanogy 95 @ 24 pounds. I find it amazing that the mp 99 i bought ages ago has the same playability as one of the latest technology rackets. Now i feel silly for changing over the Arc10

2. evilorgi

evilorgi Regular Member

you cant blame that feeling, mp99 is one of the better racquets yonex has produced. besides in terms of technology mp99 does not fall back far behind. the main difference still comes from the person wielding it.

both are seemingly all round racquets with good control and adequate/good smashing power, that's why you feel the same playing with both. if you want a difference in feel, try AT700-900.

3. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    IMO, you should certainly be able to tell the difference between the two rackets. Both have pretty unique feels so I am very surprised that they both feel the same. What is your level of play? Maybe you're not quite good enough (no offence intended, you may be a truly great player) to feel the difference?

The Arc10 is stiff but sort of feels more flexible, like perhaps a really hard mattress - stiff but with some cushioning affect. The MP-99, IMO feels like a harsher and more connected racket. Did you not feel any of that?

4. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

yes. the Mp99 is quite the beast, while i feel the ARC10 is more tamed power. Maybe you played quite a lot with the MP-99, and made it not as stiff, while the arc feels new, and retains the stiffness.

5. zqcebtmu

zqcebtmu Regular Member

I did feel that a little. To get an amazing smash out of the MP 99, i kind of have to force myself to swing faster to get the the power. But overall, what ever I could do with the MP-99 i could do with arc-10 and vice versa.

What i was trying to get at was either the MP-99 is an amazing racket because it stands up to the state of the art Arc-10 or Arc 10 is a inferior racket despite all the hype.

I'm just kinda curious to if any other MP-99 and arc-10 users share my opinion haha

6. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    The MP-99 is certainly a great racket and it is a great shame that it has been discontinued. I think it will be one of those legendary rackets like the Carbonex series that will just keep on being used and offering performance competitive to modern rackets.