Using Heart rate monitors for Badminton

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by illusionistpro, Mar 30, 2009.

1. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

Does any one here have a heart rate monitor they use for badminton? I saw a friend wearing one the other day but wasnt really using it as a monitor, just really as a watch, but it made a lot of sense to me if you did use it, especially for training. I also recently watched a video with Jonas Rasmussen and he was doing footwork and suggested using a heart rate monitor to keep your pace and not working overly hard.

2. Kee_Lee

Kee_Lee Regular Member

Student
    I thought about it because I have a heart rate monitor for running. But I just got laughed off by my friends because they thought I was showing off my new equipment. Thinking back, it may be useful for aerobic exercise such as a footwork exercise. Not too sure of the benefit during a match though.

3. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    extreme cases maybe... ;)

4. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Yep, they're fantastic for monitoring the old ticker...

Also great to keep within a certain intensity level! :D

POLAR all the way!!!

5. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    One of my friends uses a HRM, a wrist-worn type.
    He had a mild heart attack about two years ago.

The chap is very fond of badminton and still plays it.
    He wasn't a very fast mover - and now he is slower.

Rather than exert himself too much, he plays a crafty game.
    It works well against players above his age but not against younger ones.

Seeing him check the HRM after every rally is a bit disconcerting.
    His doctor told him that he must keep the beats to below 140/min.

For those of us who know about this, it's difficult to play normally when he is on the opposing team. For instance, every time I prepare to drive cross-court or punch to the back or float a sharp drop, I find myself automatically changing the shot to make it 'easier' for him. And very often, this generosity costs us the rally and the point :p

I haven't played with him for nearly five months now.
    But he is still active, preferring to play in a private gymnasium with those he knows, rather than with a general group in one of the public sports halls.

6. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

Sounds like good feedback that it is a useful tool and does work. It also sounds like you are a compassionate friend. Its not worth winning a game at the sake of your opponents health.

7. Born2BeMild

Born2BeMild New Member

Bus Driver
    Hi all.

I use a Polar F7 heart rate monitor every time I play. There isn't a medical reason or a 'specific' badminton related reason. I just like to know how many calories I've burned over a session.
    I'm at the gym 3 nights a week and play Badminton once a week.
    What I have discovered from using my Polar is just what great exercise Badminton is. For example, a 1 1/4 hour session at the gym consisting of treadmill cross training, 5000 metre row & 8km static bike ride at 90/95 revolutions per minute yields a return of 1050-1150 calories burnt 30% of which come from fat.
    A 2 hour Badminton session which probably equates to about 1 1/2 hour actual playing time (and I'm being generous there!) yields a higher calories burn plus a higher % fat burn. Usually 50%.
    So not only is Badminton enjoyable to play, it's also one of the best exercises there is.

8. Luka89

Luka89 Regular Member

The fat burn is higher because of the intervals in badminton. If you train in the gym more on intense intervals your fat burn will also be higher..

9. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    Unfortunately heart rate monitors are only able to give you an estimate of calorie useage and % fat burned.
    Each person at the same heart rate will use different energy systems, the monitors can't really check this so don't rely fully on the reading.

10. abans

abans Regular Member

IT
    I just bought a Polar RS300X mid level HRM to track my performance in terms of burning cals. I like badminton as an exercise, but I dont play in competitions. I enjoy playing a lot so wanted to measure what it does to my body in terms of a workout.
    I used it for the first time today. My strap was a little loose so I lost signal a few times. I guess I need to tighten it more for all the jumps in Badminton. Overall, it worked well. I got to a max 88% heart rate and average 75% which is pretty good!!!
    The soft strap was very comfortable. I just wore the catch on the left side as I play with my right. And it was quite comfortable. I probably forgot about it while playing.
    So, if you want to know how your playing session went, it seems like a great idea. Know that it wont make you a better badminton player. But, it will tell you if you are being lazy on the court :)

11. canotryss

canotryss New Member

manager
    i like this, agree it,the monitors can't really check this so don't rely fully on the reading.thank you [​IMG]

12. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    i am using HRM to monitor my game... especially singles...

13. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    I use mine to check peaks and troughs during matches that I can replicate in gym fitness sessions, train hard and play easy.