change or keep?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by dengor, Mar 31, 2009.

1. dengor

dengor Regular Member

after 6 years of no badminton, i decided to pick it up again few months ago. read through these forums, then decided on the Arc 10 (which i now know was probably the wrong choice).

anyway, i went ahead and got it strung with BG65 at 26lbs, thinking that i still had the strength i had when i was a younger lad. the first few sessions were literally painful, both overall fitness-wise, and in particular my right shoulder :crying: I therefore decided to rest for a week and a bit without play.

after the rest, and doing some basic wrist strengthening exercises at home, i felt my technique and power coming back, and could wield the arc 10 a lot better. however, i still feel that i am lacking power.

would changing string and lowering the tension to about 24lbs benefit me in my situation? or should i keep the 26lbs and current string, and learn to live with it (as i hear the arc 10 compliments a higher string tension)?

2. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    after a long break from badminton, will definitely need some time to get back the fitness. bg65? my advice? please use a scissor and cut it. bg80 @24lbs will a good ideal way to re-train yourself.

3. dengor

dengor Regular Member

haha, thanks drifit! actually i was thinking along the lines of bg80 or bg66. i guess i better go find my scissors :D

4. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    string BG80 at 24lbs is the same as BG65 at 26lbs. Just string BG80 at 22-23lbs.

5. dengor

dengor Regular Member

ok, cheers phandrew!

6. dengor

dengor Regular Member

phandrew, i went to a popular badminton shop just now to ask about restringing. i asked them if i wanted 23lbs, how would they string it? they said they would string the main at 23lbs, and the cross at 24lbs. i know people on here usually say 2lb difference, i.e. 22x24lbs.

would 23x24 give me 23lbs overall??

7. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    It would give you 23.5lbs average not 23lbs. You should ask them to do 22x24lbs.

8. dengor

dengor Regular Member

will do, thanks.