User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is this stringing job OK or poor? :S

There's this girl with whom I became very good friend with. As such, she told me her father loves playing badminton too and that his father has a stringing machine and wouldn't mind doing free stringing for me (yes FREE stringing). But it's only recently that I broke my racquet's string and I gave her my racquet to string. A few days later, I got my racquet and i noticed her father strung 23 lines on the cross (1 more line on the top) when I compared it to my other mp88...

Now the question... is it bad or good or very bad or ok? What are the consequences? The tension on that extra top line isn't that much I guess since i'm able to move it quite easily with my thumb (compared with if i try to move the strings from the middle).

I don't want to tell her that her father didn't do proper stringing... it might hurt her feelings (since her father played badminton way before I started playing too)... and more importantly... she might never do free stringing for me LOL

Anyway... here are some pictures.. send me your comments!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

consider it as a bonus feature

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler View Post
    consider it as a bonus feature
    I would definitely consider it as a bonus. That an extra cross will significantly increase the air resistance and slow down your swing. Keep the racket handy in your car in case the brakes fail. Stick the racket out the window and the car will stop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The last time I used my racket as an extra brake. I accidently clothline a motorist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol! this was not the kind of comments i was requesting...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you do a search, there are few discussions on having the extra cross. I think most agreed that it helps to prevent mishits, hence prevent string breakage.

It would be silly of you to say anything that could cause you losing the FREE stringing service. err....maybe more than that..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ph_leung View Post
    I would definitely consider it as a bonus. That an extra cross will significantly increase the air resistance and slow down your swing. Keep the racket handy in your car in case the brakes fail. Stick the racket out the window and the car will stop.
    wow, how many Newton apple will that air resistance force will be?
    U must have weak swing to be affected by the extra cross.
    do u have an 'badelbow'?
    Last edited by cooler; 04-01-2009 at 07:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nothing like "effortless power and theories"!!!

do u have an 'badelbow'?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thx! I guess the extra cross is really a bonus then
    I did try to do a search... maybe i'm not using the good keywords or not but i haven't found many helpful topics

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fumoffuu View Post
    I did try to do a search... maybe i'm not using the good keywords or not but i haven't found many helpful topics
    The first rule to follow is the manufacturer's stringing pattern. If it is an MP88 then using 23 cross strings is wrong because the top grommets #6 are not designed for two strings as they are too small. Take extra care because there is a higher risk of damaging these two single-pass grommets as well as the graphite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fumoffuu View Post

I'm against adding extra cross strings up top. I have found it significantly reduces the durability of the racket and is prone to breaking (up top) from mishits.

But, if you don't break rackets, then by all means, add the extra cross string.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot View Post
    I'm against adding extra cross strings up top. I have found it significantly reduces the durability of the racket and is prone to breaking (up top) from mishits.

But, if you don't break rackets, then by all means, add the extra cross string.
    should I just cut the string then? I really don't want to break my MP88 since there's no more on the market. The tension on that extra cross doesn't seem to be high though since i can easily move the string...
    Is there any real advantage to this extra cross then? If not.. i'm not taking any risk...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly for free, I wouldn't complain! When your strings break, just ask him politely not to do the top cross~ Although I don't practice this method myself, I have been to a chop shop that gave me this pattern when I asked for tensions into the 30's and it still survived. But you can see extra stress points where that top string pulls in though.

Before you take your scissors out, keep in mind... the girl, and also FREE!!! If the racquet breaks, get yourself them arcsabers or armortecs then there's no option to alter the pattern!!! Not worth losing a friend or free service IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do u have an 'badelbow'?
    According to the T-pak theory, it is SIGNIFICANT! Even more so are the use of "U"-grommets. The amount of air resistance is so great such that they are occasionally used in place of a back-up parachute. In the event of the main chute failing, one would reach for the "U"-grommets, one in each hand, extend arm outwards and the significant resultant air resistance will break your fall. Don't believe me, do a search on here. "U" grommets SIGNIFICANTLY affect racket swing speed of a high level super wrist player.

As for the extra cross, my wife's MP88 also got the bonus cross when it was strung up at the shop. Frame is fine and I honestly doubt anything will be broken or affected by it. But the next time I restring it myself, I don't think I'll reward it with a bonus though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Is turbo charging an engine also a bonus?

Quote Originally Posted by 2-YOTA View Post
    According to the T-pak theory, it is SIGNIFICANT! Even more so are the use of "U"-grommets. The amount of air resistance is so great such that they are occasionally used in place of a back-up parachute. In the event of the main chute failing, one would reach for the "U"-grommets, one in each hand, extend arm outwards and the significant resultant air resistance will break your fall. Don't believe me, do a search on here. "U" grommets SIGNIFICANTLY affect racket swing speed of a high level super wrist player.

As for the extra cross, my wife's MP88 also got the bonus cross when it was strung up at the shop. Frame is fine and I honestly doubt anything will be broken or affected by it. But the next time I restring it myself, I don't think I'll reward it with a bonus though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete LSD View Post
    Is turbo charging an engine also a bonus?
    For sure! As with all forced induction, you get speed at the expense of reliability. The set-up is a work of art ... turbo compressors strapped to the rear exhaust outlet and a bowl of Wendy's Chili providing the fuel. With this system, he can run in the low 12's.

So everyone, remember to ask for your bonus each and every time you drop off your racket for a restring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol............................................... good one

Quote Originally Posted by ph_leung View Post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast