Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maa2003 View Post
    wow ...

- what is tension for Taufik and Lin Dan ?
    - when you did a stringing for them, did you add 2lbs on Cross ?
    thanks
    Sorry strung straight for those guys 30/30 and 32/32

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kakinami View Post
    What kind of machine does Luxis use? Crank or Electronic? I think the pull is what makes the stringer good. If he is consistant on a crank, not pulling so fast,straightining out the string, not having that rainbow look when you pull and constant efficient time clamping. that is what seperates new stringers from experienced stringers.
    lt isn't about type of machines used here, nor how the string is tensioned, it's about methodology applied.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler View Post
    lt isn't about type of machines used here, nor how the string is tensioned, it's about methodology applied.
    Sorry I thought it was about differentiation of good / bad string job - medium tension. If you didn't know machines do make a difference to an inexperienced stringer. Yes to an experienced stringer it makes a little difference, Accuracy in springs in a crank, slippage in the crank tension head, clamps, etc. A string job by an experienced stringer on an Electronic machine will come out better, constant pull, little to no slippage. That does apply to method being used, and differences in string-jobs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot View Post
    It'll sound redundant and obvious because it's all been said before here, the better stringer will have:

1) Better technique
    2) Better timing
    3) More consistent pulls
    4) Better clamping skills
    5) Better starting knots and tie-offs
    6) Minimal string twisting

Which all leads to a more consistent, uniform, string tension across the racket.

You'd need to watch someone string to start and understand but even then, you'll probably miss a lot because the stringer is going too fast for you to fully see what they are doing.

Ideally, you'd need to spend about an hour or two with an experienced stringer and have him/her string a racket, slowly, you watch, he/she goes step-by-step, you ask questions. Then you string the same racket while they watch and give you commentary.
    Kwun Need help give me a holla I am down the road in Newark, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by arturosauce View Post
    this makes me wonder if there's a placebo effect with string jobs.

let's say person A had two of the exact same racket, and took one racket to his local stringer who has been stringing for 5+ years (with relatively good praise coming from the locals), and took his other racket to alan kakinami, under the guise of an inexperienced stringer who is just in his first week. after testing, person A comes to the conclusion that alan kakinami's string job was of poorer quality. is it because his mind thought that because alan was an inexperienced stringer, he would automatically produce a bad job? or was alan's string job at that point just bad?

let's say that if two excellent stringers, who learned from the same person and have years of experience under their belt along with good track records of consistency, strung two identical rackets for the same person, and this person preferred stringer A's job over B's. let's also say that the general population prefers A's jobs over B's. what separates them? if two experienced stringers were given a 30-point checklist for the definition of the "perfect" string job, why is it that someone would believe one to be "better" than the other?

my belief is that amongst good stringers, there are no better or worse jobs, just different. it all goes back to the age-old answer that it all depends on what you're used to and feel comfy with. a person may grow accustomed and used to a poor string job over time, and when his racket gets strung by a "better" stringer, may dislike his new string job simply because he's not used to it. the same can be said with two experienced stringers that receive good praise from their customers.
    You would be an EXCELLENT playtester!! If you can rate one of Alan's string jobs low it would make a lot of people happy. Unfortunately if you rate his string job good, it would only validate his ego.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kakinami View Post
    If you can find a club and playtesters I can help out with your experiment, maybe 2-3 more stringers. I can see if I can get 5-6 of the same frame (Arc Z) same string, same tension, same machine, strung all within the same day(Saturday) then have them playtested the next day (Sunday) and have a feedback sheet for playtesters. Or you can have all the rackets strung on each stringers own machine (Same time, same day) then have them brought to the club to be playtested, so you can see how different machines feel. Let me know, willing to help. Can probably get a stringer from Asby, Affinity, Maybe Racket supply or Z Badminton or UBC?
    Also remember everything is relative. If some one uses a racket like a ns7k and they are play testing with a arc z they may not be a good candidate since the rackets are very different. Also string selection can play a factor. Some one may not like a hard string like bg85 so you would have to compare a different string. There are enormous variables on this, but the general method is accurate. Control as many variables as possible and only vary one variable. Different scenarios could be:
    1. Different stringers on the same machine
    2. Different machine, same stringer
    3. Different stringers on their own machines
    All keeping consistent racket and strings. I think the first two will provide the best data.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know I am reviving this thread from the grave, sorry, but I did do a search.
    I think the difference between a good stringer and bad stringer can be based on if they give the correct tension, the knots and price. I string at mates rates at uni 3 cheaper than the other stringer, but I think he would do a better job as he has a lot more experience. If somebody wanted a racquet at 30lbs+ I would tell them to see the other guy, even though I string my own at 32lbs.
    Oh and on the above post about ideas to test if players can feel the difference, a key factor is to get the same stringer, machine and day with the same racquets, string and tension. This would act as a control, if the players all rated the racquets differently then any changes found in the other experiements must be compared to the variation in this experiment.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3