bad string job?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by stanley85, Apr 2, 2009.

1. stanley85

stanley85 Regular Member

This is the racket i just collected from the stringer, the string look kind of weird (not straight at all), normally a good stringer would not have the job done like this..right?:confused:
    i asked for 24x25lbs with BG-80, and 1 of the line seem very loose:mad:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. darkwingduck

darkwingduck Regular Member

Nothing
    the strings should look like that fresh strung. you have to make it in place yourself or play a little to make it straighter.

is this your first stringing?

3. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

stringer for community centers
    it'll be fine when you break in the strings, and the string's tension even out a bit.

but for the safety of the racket, please add 10% for the crosses Mains24lbs+10% = Crosses26.4lbs instead of the 24/25 unless that's personal preference ;)

*is it just me or the racket looks a little wide...*

4. Erayser

Erayser New Member

i had the very same question! cuz i got my new racket strung for the first time today and it has the same symptoms that yours has =p.

5. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Sounds like copyign Yonex's recommendation lol!!! Just make it simple terms, use 2 pound differential instead of the 10% thing. So for instance 25/27.
    ================================================
    Distanc3 and Erayser,

In the picture that stanley85 provided; The stringer should of done a better job in their work because the strings were not straighten out during the string job, resulting in the bowed like string job. On my rackets, the strings is pretty much straight, when they freshly come out of the stringing machine from the stringer I go to.

#5 Matt, Apr 2, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I always set aside five minutes after string a racket to straighten everything up and make sure the "grid" is nice and square - personally, I wouldn't give a racket back to a customer looking that way (not hubris, just my preference:eek:).

If you use a crank machine it takes more effort to keep the crosses straight - you have to straighten them BEFORE and DURING a pull - but I always make an effort to do so; you can just pull with a CP and then sort it out, as the machine will adjust itself.

With regard to the mains, it doesn't matter if they bend a little because their tension was set while they were straight, but tensioning a bent cross WILL lead to losses.

7. stanley85

stanley85 Regular Member

First of all, many thanks to all who reply.:)

This is my 2nd restring, the first time was even worse (which i din took a photo of it).. and it was strung by the same person (because i don't know where else to look for a stringer). I'm thinking of maybe getting other people or send to the shop (which provide string service), see whether they still string it that way..

I feel weird cos everytime when you bought the racket (with string), the string was done perfectly well.:p

Just that, i found 1 or 2 line strung on quite loose compare to others (i can easily move the string as compare to other lines)..i wonder will it be a problem?

well hmm..next time may consider 23X25.. i din know which to choose cos i often see ppl with different of 1lbs or 2lbs..so i just simply use 24x25:eek:

8. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

the string job is done OK. it can't be rated great, and this is what I believe happened.

- the stringer uses flying clamps only for stringing.

this will cause the crosses to show "~", since the flying clamps has to grap two strings at the same time, one on left and one on right.

the curve on the mains are caused by the pulling of the flying clamps during the stringing of the crosses. when you see symmetrical curves on the mains (left and right), this means that s/he was using 2 flying clamps, one for each side.

- s/he didn't even bother to straighten the strings after the job is done.

at the end, the racket is fine. 2lbs difference is nice, but will not make the string straight.

However, for those 1 or 2 loose strings, where are they located? this may indicate some problem during the string job. please be more specific.

9. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

stringer for community centers
    that may be ok for lower tensions but not in higher tensions. :D

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Straightening strings after stringing is the equivalent of papering over a far from idea stringing job. The fact that the strings are not straight means the tension will reduce from the tension you used to string when you straighten them. What is worse, each and every string will be reduced by different amounts of tension when they are straightened.

11. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

i believe that taneepak is dead on with his contribution. I find that the Local international stringers jobs come out pretty much perfectly straight after stringing, even if it is a rush Job, maybe 15-20 minutes. Likewise, when i string at other places, the string job feels a little uneven when compared.

12. stanley85

stanley85 Regular Member

hmm..i see.
    the loose string located at 12 and 13, count from bottom to top.
    it's near to the sweet sport, i guess more or less it will be affected?

hmm..so does it mean if going to use 26 then it should be 26x29? or 28x31?
    (anyway..i don't think i can string on that high in near future:p)
    yeah this is what i afraid of, i've been told that most of the stringer will straighten the string before handle to customer, but when i get mine, it's not straighten at all.. i afraid that it would make the tension loose more quickly..
    hmm..i'm in uk...Edinburgh..seem hard to find a stringer here.
    even worse when comes to badminton equipment, i bought all my equipment online. or maybe someone can tell me where can i find good stringer here?;)

13. mhigham

mhigham Regular Member

Analyst (Bank)
    Stanley - there are no good stringers in Edinburgh that I know of, the closest is in Gullane. I ended up buying my own machine - if I was a little more experienced I'd offer my services, but probably a bit early to start stringing rackets for others.

Where did you get yours done?

14. stanley85

stanley85 Regular Member

wow...that's such a bad news for me, how about if going to glasgow? and i doubt that do central sports or direct sport provide restring service or not:confused:

I get it done from clairekidd, the only one authorised by HWU to provide restring service.

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i just marked u down as 'noob' in my book

16. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

you can't get straight lines with flying clamps only set-up. those pro stringers are using fixed clamps, which will result in straight strings.

17. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

thank you.

but hey, its just what i find. i mean, taneepak's contribution makes a lot of sense. likewise, the international string breaks less rackets when stringing, and the string jobs feel much nicer. You are free to disagree, master cooler.