correct way to do backhand serve

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ladystar88, Apr 2, 2009.

1. ladystar88

ladystar88 Regular Member

Student
    just wondering is it correct that when doing backhand serve, you elbow should not be higher than your shoulder and you wrist should not be higher than your elbow?

2. atingd

atingd Regular Member

your racket head should not be higher than your waist (it should be lower than your lowest rib bone)

I'm not too sure about elbow needing to be lower than your shoulder, but I'm sure about your wrist going no higher than your elbow.

3. azn32boi

azn32boi Regular Member

When you're going for an overhead backhand, your elbow should be up when you prepare, arm bent in, racquet head should be around hip level. When you go for the swing, turn your waist, outstretch your arm (but not all the way or else you'll injure your elbow eventually), turn and flick your wrist.

4. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Legally, there is no requirement about the elbow vs. shoulder. I serve with the racket literally vertically downwards as I found it to give me the most consistent distance/direction. I used to slice my backhand serve (also quite consistent). In both cases, I hit the shuttle around my waist height. So the current serve method requires that I raise the elbow above the shoulder but the previous method does not.

In both case, the wrist remains locked.

5. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student
    Backhand server is same as Short Server

6. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

No, you can still short-serve on a forehand or flick with the backhand serve. Do not expect to do those long-deep serve on backhand though :D:D.

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    All power shots or shots that are deceptive, whether forehand or backhand, require 3 major points of rotation of the arm. The first point of rotation is the arm/shoulder pivot, followed by the elbow point, and then the wrist pivot point. The complete cycle, in the above order, is a timely execution of an arm movement from flexon to extension.
    Re the backhand, the first pivot point to get as much flexon as possible is at the shoulder point. This means that at this point the elbow point must be in maximum flexon, so that it can take over as the upper arm moves to extension. As the elbow point nears complete extension, the wrist snap takes over. This general flow 'from flexon to extension' of the 3 pivot points in a timely manner, akin to perfect passing of the baton in 100 x 4 meters realy, is the key.

8. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student
    It is almost same

9. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Read the title!

(to most of those that have already posted, the question is about the backhand serve)

I think you're asking about the rules when serving?

In summary, based on your statement above:

• The shuttle must be below the waist when struck.
    • The racquet must be pointing in a downward direction.
    HTH :)

10. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    ever watch Gao Ling serve?

11. TheBear

TheBear Regular Member

Absolutely. Gao Ling's serve is a throw-back to when folk used to serve with an almost vertical racquet. She does actually bring it round before striking the shuttle. When she strikes the shuttle you'll note that the racquet shaft is only just pointing downwards - a beautiful serve !
    I think the point has been made about the rules (RichF), of course adding that some part of both feet must be in contact with the floor, both server and receiver must be stationary etc..
    The real answer to "should the wrist.....should the elbow...." is:
    Whatever works within the rules to make the shuttle fly flat and low over the tape !