User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default China versus the Rest?

It is sad that even the other badminton powerhouses cannot come close to China in this SC in their own capacity, that's what most of us believe. They have to fight for the number 2 title.

Do you think if they all put their heads together and put up a combined "Rest of the World Team" to challenge China they might win?

Who should be in this World Team line-up worthy enough to wrestle the crown from China? Select only the best players from any country.

Pick your choice for the World Team versus China in this SC. Support with your reason if you have one.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    It is sad that even the other badminton powerhouses cannot come close to China in this SC in their own capacity, that's what most of us believe. They have to fight for the number 2 title.

Do you think if they all put their heads together and put up a combined "Rest of the World Team" to challenge China they might win?

Who should be in this World Team line-up worthy enough to wrestle the crown from China? Select only the best players from any country.

Pick your choice for the World Team versus China in this SC. Support with your reason if you have one.
    very good idea just for fun. to follow the SC format but with 2 or even 3 matches for each, ie 3 MS, 3MD etc. and just like the ryder's cup you dont have play your nos 1 against each other, that will be the captain's choice/tactics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CLELY View Post
    Title-holder China is the strongest favourite, Indonesia as runner-up in last two edition becomes another candidate together with South Korea.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

It is reported that TH will not be in the INA team for the Sudirman Cup 2009 competition. SDK will be the first MS choice. No doubt he is good but lately he has been troubled by backaches. The WD pairing of VM and LN has also been dismantled. Although I root for INA to do well, I still think it is difficult for it to finish as runner-up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    Uncle Loh, i've heard a BCer suggested this before. Don't remember when.
    Is this idea developing now?

I don't know if Ryder Cup style is applicable for Badminton. They had started as an exhibition match. Let's try a step at a time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by koo_fan View Post
    Uncle Loh, i've heard a BCer suggested this before. Don't remember when.
    Is this idea developing now?

I don't know if Ryder Cup style is applicable for Badminton. They had started as an exhibition match. Let's try a step at a time.
    Yes now that Alan has mentioned it, we have something like the Ryder Cup in golf. However, the Ryder Cup is a men's team event with US versus the rest of the world.

Since China is so strong as a mixed team, and there seems to be no chance at all for the other countries to snatch the title from China, why not figure out a non-China team making up the best from the rest of world to match China's players in MS, MD, WS, WD and XD. This is just for the fun of it.

Do you think there are non-China players who can beat the China players in this Sudirman Cup? There will be some, depending on how and who China will field their players for the entire series.

For example, my choice for the Rest of the World (ROW) Team comes from:

MS: LCW, PG, PSH, Sony,
    WS: TR, ZM, PHY, WC ... etc for the rest of the events

If any of the above players win any of their matches against China, 1 point for the ROW Team, 0 point for China and vice versa.

At the end of the series, we can add up the points for China and ROW to see who has scored the most points in total.

I hope ROW can score more points to prove that China can be defeated. Otherwise, it will be a China domination for many more years to come.

Do you think it is worth a try?

WS: TR, Pi,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This year SC date is near to the 1st Anniversary of Sze-Chuan Earthquakes.
    Lets hopes BWF can organized a charity match between china versus the Rest of World.
    Win or loss it does not matter as The ticket sales of this match will be channel towards the victims in SzeChuan. The ideal dates will be 2-3 days before the start of SC. By that time, most of the teams will be arrived in GuangZhou and the players who join this match can take it as match practice to familiar themselve with the court condition etc...
    Hopes most of the top players agreed to join that match to shows their support. If the match was arranged in purpose to determine "how strong the China Team was" - I believed most of the other teams won't sent their best cards . No points to share the responsiblitiy to make a powehouse becomes more ego. But this is a charity match, everyone should contributes if invited.

My ideal Match Line-ups will be as belows :

XD = LYD/LHJ vs ZB/MJ
    MS = LCW vs LD
    WS = PI vs ZN
    MD = MK/HS vs FHY/CY
    WD = (Danes/ENG pair) vs GL/ZYW

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    ..can you check or make that double check again how many titles CHN actually won in this yr's Swiss Open-thanks & i appreciate it

Btw, what's TO08??Taipei Open?? Thailand Open??

I don't know, for some reason some people seem to not acknowledge CHN's overall team dominance, even if they fail to sweep any tourneys. As a matter of fact, they've won **at least** 3 titles per tourney, in about at least 90% of the tourneys they've attended, in the past 2-3 yrs. If i were one of them doubters abt CHN's team dominance, i'd just accept the fact and move on.
    Depends on how one looks at dominance.
    To me, it means achieving 90% wins:
    1) A country sweeping all 5 titles at least 90% of their participation
    2) A country winning an event at least 90% of their participation (possibly CHN WD)
    3) A country sweeping all 5 titles at least 90% of the SS,GPG,Olympics,WC,etc (ie by tournament category)
    4) A country sweeping an event at least 90% of the SS,etc

Dominance is such a open definition.No one has to agree with your definition or mine.What is important is you qualify it so others can understand what you mean.Now at least you understand why I don't see CHN as dominant except WD.
    However,if you do a trend analysis starting from when LD first became WR1 and based on your definition, you may be able to see that CHN's dominance is less than before.(I may be wrong but you can check it out.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ^^A bit off topic-90% winning percentage equals dominance..^^

For the first part, how realistic of a percentage is that?? 90%??
    If other top countries can't even muster a 40% winning percentage (of winning titles/event or per their participating event), how does one expect CHN to win have a 90% percentage??
    If one is to say, CHN usually wins 3 out 5 titles per given tourney, now, i would say that's about as close to a 90% chance they have.

Dominance for me is to have a 60% winning percentage (3 out 5 titles/event). That's more realistic. And, btw, that's roughly the avg. no. of titles team CHN usually gets when their top players/full team is participating.
    LD was no.1 from roughly 2004 til 2008. During that time I don't see their squad being "less dominant". Examples: 2 Sudirman Cup titles, 2 Thomas & Uber Cup titles in their cabinet trophy. And i'm sure you guys know the rest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default regular badminton club

Quote Originally Posted by Wong8Egg View Post
    Tina is the only one that can put up a real challenge to the Chinese woman squad. I don't see WMC and Maria have any realistic chance to upset the Chinese, they are hardly comparable to the top Chinese WS, XXF or not.
    I was just wandering if you play the sport and if you are aware of any badminton club in scarborough that play on the weekend.I will appreciate it if you have any info that you can pass on.Thank You

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pjswift View Post
    Depends on how one looks at dominance.
    To me, it means achieving 90% wins:
    1) A country sweeping all 5 titles at least 90% of their participation
    2) A country winning an event at least 90% of their participation (possibly CHN WD)
    3) A country sweeping all 5 titles at least 90% of the SS,GPG,Olympics,WC,etc (ie by tournament category)
    4) A country sweeping an event at least 90% of the SS,etc
    for team domination we obviously needed to look at the team events. In 2005, CHN was the holder of all 3 team competitions, i.e. TC, UC and SC. none of the other nations ever achieved that before or since. guess what, CHN done it again in 2007 with all 3 titles concurrently. if they perform as expected next month that I've no doubt that they will do it again.
    that's what I called total domination!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanY View Post
    for team domination we obviously needed to look at the team events. In 2005, CHN was the holder of all 3 team competitions, i.e. TC, UC and SC. none of the other nations ever achieved that before or since. guess what, CHN done it again in 2007 with all 3 titles concurrently. if they perform as expected next month that I've no doubt that they will do it again.
    that's what I called total domination!
    Spot on!
    Agree totally.
    CHN is dominant in team tournaments so far.(SC in odd years;TC and UC in even years.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With CHN consistantly winning 3 titles or more from current SS events, chances of winning for "the rest of the world" vs CHN - playing in CHN - is lower than the host.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

even if China playing their lowest rank player in their current team,, they can beat malaysia
    MS : Chen Long vs LCW : 0 - 1 for malaysia
    WS : WYH vs WMC :1 - 1
    MD : whoever vs KKK/TBH: 1 - 2
    WD: PP/ TQ vs WPT/CEH ; 2 - 2
    XD: ZB / MJ vs whoever : 3 - 2 for CHINA

and of course CHINA is my favorite...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know that 2009's Sudirman Cup will be the hardest one for Indonesia but as an Indonesian I still hope and pray with full speed that Indonesia will again win. doesn't really matter with luck, or talented young gun(s) that the team has.

20 years had passed and Indonesia still couldn't take the trophy back again to Cipayung.

well to be sure, if I go betting, I will put China in my top list. They will win it again. trust me..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pjswift View Post
    All England is proof enough of CHN's dominance?
    And the dominance fell off a week later in Swiss Open.
    Sure, let me add, follow that, CHN player did not even get to quarter final in New York Open, because they did not even participate.

Well, sure, if every single tourny counts with "equal weight" in the world, then we have many other candidates in the world can be "dominate".

Myself get into at least semi final 4 years in a row in local tournament, and I do not think even TH or LCW accomplished such fate. So, if I consider my local tourny's level as the same level as AE, WC, OG, etc, I should be one of the greatest as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Weily View Post
    Enjoy my prediction on the top five country. no offence!

ChinaMalaysiaDenmarkKoreaIndonesiaMSLDvsLCW55%Pete70%Park65%Sony75%MDCY/FHFKKK/TBH50%BM/MC50%LYD/JJS50%KM/SH50%WSWYHJulia80%Tine50%HHY80%Maria80%WDDJ/YYCEH/WPT70%Kami/Lena80%Lee/Lee60%Lily/Vita80%XDCB/MJKKK/NHL75%Kamil/Tom70%Lee/LYD50%Lily/Nova50%66%64%61%67%MalaysiaChinaDenmarkKoreaIndonesiaMSLCWvsLD45%Pete70%Park75%Sony75%MDKKK/TBHCY/FHF50%BM/MC50%LYD/JJS50%KM/SH50%WSJuliaWYH20%Tine25%HHY50%Maria50%WDCEH/WPTDJ/YY30%Kami/Lena60%Lee/Lee40%Lily/Vita60%XDKKK/NHLCB/MJ25%Kamil/Tom40%Lee/LYD35%Lily/Nova35%34%49%50%54%DenmarkChinaMalaysiaKoreaIndonesiaMSPetevsLD30%LCW30%Park50%Sony55%MDBM/MCCY/FHF50%KKK/TBH50%LYD/JJS50%KM/SH50%WSTineWYH50%Julia75%HHY75%Maria70%WDKami/LenaDJ/YY20%CEH/WPT40%Lee/Lee25%Lily/Vita50%XDKamil/TomCB/MJ30%KKK/NHL60%Lee/LYD20%Lily/Nova30%36%51%44%51%KoreaChinaMalaysiaDenmarkIndonesiaMSParkvsLD35%LCW25%Pete50%Sony50%MDLYD/JJSCY/FHF50%KKK/TBH50%BM/MC50%KM/SH50%WSHHYWYH20%Julia50%Tine25%Maria50%WDLee/LeeDJ/YY40%CEH/WPT60%Kami/Lena75%Lily/Vita65%XDLee/LYDCB/MJ50%KKK/NHL65%Kamil/Tom80%Lily/Nova50%39%50%56%53%IndonesiaChinaMalaysiaDenmarkKoreaMSSonyvsLD25%LCW25%Pete45%Park50%MDKM/SHCY/FHF50%KKK/TBH50%BM/MC50%LYD/JJS50%WSMariaWYH20%Julia50%Tine30%HHY50%WDLily/VitaDJ/YY20%CEH/WPT40%Kami/Lena50%Lee/Lee35%XDLily/NovaCB/MJ50%KKK/NHL65%Kamil/Tom70%Lee/LYD50%33%46%49%47%
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Malaysian menís singles for the 2009 Sudirman Cup Tournament comprise Lee Chong Wei and Tan Chung Siang, a back-up player.
    This is not surprising as the two national players, MHH and KBH have been inconsistent and WCH is no longer in the national team.
    It is hoped that the overall Malaysian selection for the 2009 Sudirman Cup Tournament will bring back a medal of any colour for Malaysia. Malaysia boleh!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indonesia can win.
    but china will win. again.

and, after 20 years, china still reign, and badminton is no longer exist.
    come on, we need some break through!
    new champion!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast