hope the umpire and the line judges will be clean and fair

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by george@chongwei View Post
    just 1 thing..
    hope the umpire and the line judges will be clean and fair
    Yes, lets hope, no more controversial......

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe the official name of the tournament is 'Li Ning 2009 Sudirman Cup'. This may be one of many major tournaments in which Yonex won't be sponsoring.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    I believe the official name of the tournament is 'Li Ning 2009 Sudirman Cup'. This may be one of many major tournaments in which Yonex won't be sponsoring.
    But i saw just 1 Yonex sign board beside the court just now
    maybe Yonex is as usual sponsoring the Court mat and the shuttle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think South Korea does have a chance to win against China.
    I mean, I don't doubt that China is a strong team. But I think if they win, they would probably win 3-5 games, not totally dominating entire time.

MS: China
    WS: China
    MD: Korea might have an edge (JJS-LYD team is pretty solid)
    XD: Korea (LHJ-LYD is #2 in the world right now)
    WD: depending on the condition of the players that day.

So I think it's pretty a fair game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Badminton Sudirman Cup all about second place
    By: AFP

Published: 10/05/2009 at 08:56 AM It is a measure of China's supreme domination of world badminton that the real interest in the upcoming 2009 Sudirman Cup is not about who will win the prestigious tournament, but who will come second.

A Chinese fan is seen watching 2007 Sudirman Cup, in Glasgow, United Kingdom. The world team championships, which take place every two years, start Sunday in the southern Chinese city of Guangzhou with the hosts virtually guaranteed to lift the trophy for a seventh time in front of a partisan crowd.
    The world team championships, which take place every two years, start Sunday in the southern Chinese city of Guangzhou with the hosts virtually guaranteed to lift the trophy for a seventh time in front of a partisan crowd.

Including China, 34 sides are taking part, but the structure of the mixed teams event is such that only eight of them can win the trophy, with the rest playing for points and national pride, but no money.

South Korea, Indonesia and Malaysia are most likely to get closest to China, ensuring a strong showing from Asia.

The Koreans, who won the cup in 2003, are possibly best equipped to get anywhere near the hosts, but will be relying on their strong doubles teams more than their singles players.

It was their doubles players who took them to victory in 2003 when they became the last country other than China to lift the Sudirman Cup.

Malaysia, meanwhile, will be led by world men's number one Lee Chong Wei, who has told his teammates he cannot be expected to go it alone.

"My intention is to remain unbeaten in team events but it should not be a solitary effort. I want to see my teammates giving their best so that we can reach the semi-finals," he was quoted as saying by The New Straits Times.

"I will go all out to give a winning start in every tie as this will ease the pressure on my teammates and they can perform better.

"It has to be a team effort and if we fail to reach the semis, there will be no joy even if I end up unbeaten."

Traditionally competitive, Indonesia have been talking up their chances despite appearing under-strength for the competition, with Indonesian Badminton Association chairman Djoko Santoso even saying they could win it outright.

"We aim to bring the Sudirman Cup back to the country," he was quoted as saying by the Jakarta Post on Wednesday.

"We realise rivalries among badminton-playing countries have escalated, while we have not shown great achievements in the Super Series tournaments," he said.

"It's time for us to focus and concentrate on winning."

Denmark, the nominal top seeds, ought to be the strongest of the non-Asian sides in the competition, although they will be missing world women's number one Tine Rasmussen, out with a heel injury.

None of which will concern home fans at the French-designed state-of-the-art Guangzhou Gymnasium, who will fully expect China to demolish all in their path on their way to retaining the trophy.

As usual, Lee Chong Wei's great rival Lin Dan will be the focus of the home fans' adulation, although China will be strong across the board despite not having their full array of shuttlers at their disposal.

At the other end of the spectrum, badminton minnows Lithuania, Luxembourg and Philippines are among those battling it out for points and respectability in the fourth and bottom tier of the tournament.

The Sudirman Cup runs May 10-17.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whats the link to this news article?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Off topic-It's good for the sport..

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by george@chongwei View Post
    But i saw just 1 Yonex sign board beside the court just now
    maybe Yonex is as usual sponsoring the Court mat and the shuttle
    (maybe this response should belong in the "The Role of Yonex" thread??..)
    ..IMO, what'll make it more beneficial for the sport is for Li-Ning and Yonex and perhaps other sponsors to work together & help in the growth of badminton globally. It's great for Li-Ning to jump in and put their name, in front of the Sudirman Cup, and become the main sponsor for this tourney.
    But looking at it from an overall perspective, what happens after this event is even more important.
    - How can Li-Ning, along with Yonex, help badminton grow?
    - Can the presence of Li-Ning and other major brands help to promote and perhaps double the Super Series's prize money, say from $200,000 to $400,000 or even half a million for a SS? Or will it stay the same, with the same amt of prize money??
    This is what badminton needs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sudirman Cup Contenders

In Group 1 A,

KOR and DEN sailed through their first round at the expense of MAS and HKG respectively, with identical scores of 3-2. MAS must win their next encounter against HKG today to stay in contention as they will have to meet DEN on 14 May. If KOR can beat DEN tomorrow, which they should, then KOR should be the group winner and move on as HKG should be weaker when they meet on 13 May.

So it will likely be a fight between MAS and DEN to ascertain who will join KOR in the semi finals on 16 May. Will MAS be able to win 3 matches ? Can DEN's Peter Gade stop LCW or their MD pair prevent KKK/TBH from winning. The XD seems to favour DEN but the WS should be in MAS's favour since Tine Rasmussen is injured. So the WD will become crucial.

In Group 1B,

INA disposed of JPN 4-1 and CHN completely knocked out ENG 5-0. Chances are these two winners will move on to the semis with CHN heading the group.

So Group 1A appears to be more exciting and will keep fans in suspense throughout.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    (maybe this response should belong in the "The Role of Yonex" thread??..)
    ..IMO, what'll make it more beneficial for the sport is for Li-Ning and Yonex and perhaps other sponsors to work together & help in the growth of badminton globally. It's great for Li-Ning to jump in and put their name, in front of the Sudirman Cup, and become the main sponsor for this tourney.
    But looking at it from an overall perspective, what happens after this event is even more important.
    - How can Li-Ning, along with Yonex, help badminton grow?
    - Can the presence of Li-Ning and other major brands help to promote and perhaps double the Super Series's prize money, say from $200,000 to $400,000 or even half a million for a SS? Or will it stay the same, with the same amt of prize money??
    This is what badminton needs.
    i see 'phiten' advertisement board in the stadium too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fu hai feng seems to be packing more punch with his new li ning racket and cai yun too has been constantly improving for the past year. haha they will single handedly win the sudirman cup lol... i rejoice over lyd's double victory over kkk haha mr im so cocky got put in his place...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think China will retain their tittle again. Their Sudirman Cup team seems to be so so solid.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6