How Do You Warm Up??

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Nate_12, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Nate_12

Nate_12 Regular Member

What is your typical ‘warm up routine’ before you even pick up a racquet to play?

Basically, my warm up routine consists of light jogging. Then I warm up my joints but I don’t stretch. The reason being is because stretching is simply pulling your muscles apart, but don’t you do that when you get cramps? When you get a cramp, it’s really when your muscles tighten up into a ‘cramp’ and when we stretch it out, we weaken it and try to pull the cramp out. So if you stretch before playing, you basically weaken your muscles.

2. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

Stretching/ sprinting for like a few min and thats it o.o

3. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    I normally warm up by getting on court, and doing lots of clears. Working through those, and then moving to some drops and half smashes. Then games start. Like, maybe because I'm young and stuff, but they seem to work well with me.

4. Nate_12

Nate_12 Regular Member

And you dont think Im young?
    Just to let you know, Im not even in high school.
    :p

5. supralover23

supralover23 Regular Member

Pregame routine

I usually start by moving around (even walking is OK for this!) just to loosen joints a bit. From there, gentle lower body stretches - mainly ankles, calves, and Achilles, although you can do knees too. You mainly don't want to stretch cold muscles, because that can lead to injury. After that, some light jogging to increase circulation and warm up the rest of your body. After that, do the rest of your stretches. Touch your toes, stretch your arms, and so on. You should be able to get on court after that.

Depending on how I feel, I'll either start my on-court routine with drives or easy clears, usually drives. After that, high easy clears, then drops. From there, you can progress to smashes or rallying.

Every person's warmup routine is going to vary a bit. Take some general guidelines, then modify them as you feel is needed.

Good luck!

6. jafffa

jafffa Regular Member

nothing... i know this is bad but i just don't have the time practically. I guess we rally a bit before.

7. grhm2356

grhm2356 Regular Member

Most of the people do this, but I'm not sure if it's not a good way to warm up.
    I always need to warm up my joints (ankles, knees, shoulders, wrist, waist), run a little bit, then starting with half court clears, and so on. But I have to say I have some small injuries from not doing warm ups when I was a kid...

8. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    we have 4 courts side by side where we train. To warm up, as a group we do 10 laps around the courts.

We then make a circle and go through stretching excersises starting from the top of our body's and working all the way down.

Normally thats enough for our body's to be ready for some physical work. So we then go into footwork training. After that we go through a basic warmup of strokes.

Clears then drives, taps, drops, netshots, then a small drill half court. Which is drop net, net, net lift and it continues.

When this is complete we either do more physical or gameplay drills such as 2vs1, attack/defense drills. etc etc etc etc

9. TIMO1

TIMO1 Regular Member

We used to do heaps of stretches before practice.

1. Full upper body stretches, Biceps, Triceps, Chest.

2. Legs - Calf, Hamstrings, Ankle

3. Wrist rotations

4. Push ups, sit ups.

I haven't done a warm up in ages but I do 2 laps sprint around a 8 court length. Or just stroke on court for a bit, mostly clears.

10. nutbad5981

nutbad5981 Regular Member

elementary grade tutor
    I do warm-up from head to foot. starting in
    head rotation,
    shoulder rotation (inward and outaward),
    elbow rotation,
    wrist rotation and shaking,
    arm twisting.
    torso twisting.
    waist bend and rotation,
    knee bend in half and full bends,
    leg pull (1st by upward pulling my right leg by holding the right foot with the left arm, then holding the right leg just below the right knee with two hands, and holding the right leg that is bent backward (held by left arm also) and i do this with my left leg also
    ankle twist
    i do these wamr-up exercises not less than five minutes
    then i go for lob/clear forehand, backhand lob/clear then after few clearshots, i do smashes starting in low power/weak to strong smashes.

11. nutbad5981

nutbad5981 Regular Member

elementary grade tutor
    another thing... muscle stretching does not weaken muscles ... warm-up exercises (including stretching) are done in order that joints and muscles are conditioned/be ready for extreme movements (e.g smash, reaching for a dropshot with stretched body, legs are almost in split position), not to feel pain when playing and after the game (unless wrong strokes are done). doing warm-up exercises before playing makes me more alert. well, i see youngsters like you nate_12 who do warm-up exercises. if you have a badminton trainer/trainor... ask him to teach you...

12. wristworks

wristworks Regular Member

Running/jogging is key to warm-ups. You're really supposed to get the blood flowing to your muscles before stretching them.

13. zard.

zard. Regular Member

i usually do start a light jog for 10 minutes using a heart-rate-monitor to make sure heart rate gradually progresses to reach and stablize at around 75% of max!

than i would do some stretching

after that, i would perform footwork and swing the racket to imitate most of the shots quite many times to make sure my whole body are fully warm up and flexible enough to execute the shots

14. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    Give or take, about 15 laps around 12 courts. Stretch from head to toe and then warm up my shots. Starting with clears, drops, lifting. Smashing, returning and drives. Drives consist of 5 parts, close shots (2 feet behind the line), mid drives (another 2 feet), and hard drives (another 2 feet). And then front back driving. Quick birdie run of time allows and a practice match.

15. newplayer

newplayer Regular Member

on weekends, i start with a 6k run, then take a break, then rotate my ankles, then some clears, then i'm good to go.

16. Areku????

Areku???? Regular Member

enough to survive
    head to toe bro!! i believe those who has suffered from injuries would agree with me.stretching and flexing the muscles or joints are equally important too.arter that i would walk the staircase(prefer not to jog or run in order to save extra energy) for 5 minutes to warm up my body until my heart rate in beats reach 140-150/mn in last 1 minute.(The heart rate decreases with age!!)means im ready to go.

#16 Areku????, May 18, 2009
    Last edited: May 18, 2009
  17. bowi12

bowi12 Regular Member

student
    My warmup is going to the club on by my bicycle. And just before the game hitting some shots. I'm usually pretty warm after that.

18. Cattex

Cattex Regular Member

After having injured my elbow, bicep and shoulder in my right (playing) arm on various occasions just under a year ago I always warm up.

Stretching not only helps prevents injury/trauma by sudden over-extension of muscles by pre-stretching them but it also increases blood flow to them. This obviously helps deliver oxygen, sugar etc. Obviously you don't want to stretch muscles to the point of damaging them and stretching from cold needs to be done very carefully (if at all) - its best to do a light warm up before stretching. Here's what I do:

I rotate both arms 360 degrees ten times in each direction
    Jog on the spot for a couple of minutes
    Do a general shake down of my limbs
    Rotate my hips slowly about 15 times clockwise then anti-clockwise
    Stretch my shoulders for 30 seconds (gently)
    Stretch my triceps for 30 seconds (gently)
    Stretch my quads for 30 seconds (gently)
    Stretch my hamstrings for 30 seconds (gently)
    Stretch my groin for 30 seconds (gently)

Then I do another quick shake down and repeat increasing the intensity of the stretches. This takes 10 to 15 minutes. Then a few practice hits on court and I am ready.

This works well for me but maybe not for everyone.

Its also very important to warm down after playing as well.

19. RocKai

RocKai Regular Member

Hospitality
    Not Streching is Suicidal!!!!

I've played many sports for years including swimming, badminton, soccer, and many more.

When I was younger, I never realized how important it is to stretch, before and AFTER. SO I ended up with alots of joints and muscle injuries which is wayyyy worse than skins injuries and tend to last for a long time to heal.

So now, I use a Standard routine to stretch to play pretty much any sports. And it has worked wonder so far.

So basically you want to warm up all your muscles in your body to prevent injuries, simple?
    *Start with some light jog until warm. (5 minutes)
    *Stretch your legs, calves, thighs (front and back).
    *Do some butterfly swings (like Butterfly in swimming) back and forth.
    *Rotate your shoulders.
    *Stretch arms, make a figure 4 like. One arm accross the chest, and the other arm hold and pull it into the chest.
    *Stretch your shoulder.
    *Rotate your wrists.
    *Finish with a full body stretch and some swings.
    (all take about 7-10 minutes)

Then do some clearings followed by half-court pushes then some smashes and you're all set to go.

Any warm up and stretching will help you tremendously if you know you're going to use your full power to play any games.

And Warm Down like Cattex said. Do some light jogging and small stretches to finish. This can prevent muscle cramping afterward, which is quite painful if not done.

**You might look ridiculous while doing so when other people don't bother to warm up but it's for your own good, just ignore them and do what you need to do**

#19 RocKai, Aug 30, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2009