Squash shoes for badminton

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by pablo285, Apr 3, 2009.

1. pablo285

pablo285 Regular Member

Hey guys,
    I've been playing squash for a year or two and I've got a nice pair of squash shoes (Oliver S.A.T.5) that I really like and that I'm comfortable with. I started playing badminton only a few weeks ago and what I want to ask is whether there is any significant difference between squash and badminton shoes.
    In other words - can I play badminton in squash shoes if I want to improve my game? :) Is there any reason to waste money on special badminton shoes for me? ;)

#1 pablo285, Apr 3, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  2. Kee_Lee

Kee_Lee Regular Member

Student
    probably not, they have similar profiles and specs. Unless you have money to spare, in which case I dont see the point of this thread. Check out Dinkalots shoe review for more info (he has reviewed a few squash shoes too)

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i have used squash shoes for badminton before quite a few years back. there isn't that much difference between the two as both have very fast lateral movements and directional changes in an indoor setting.

however, squash shoes tended to have slightly thinner soles as well as lack of padding in the inner toe area as there is less jumping and feet dragging.

i'd suggest try it out and see how it goes.

4. pablo285

pablo285 Regular Member

Well seems like there is no point investing in new shoes, especially as a beginner I don't think I would notice those subtle differences that you mentioned kwun. We'll see later on but I don't think I'd get that serious about badminton for some time at least. :) Which is actually good news, I can keep the money. :p
    Thanks for the answers guys. :)

5. Sasho

Sasho Regular Member

I am using Asics Gel Task -- these are volleyball shoes, known in UK as squash shoes -- slightly higher than badminton shoes, but more cusioning like in running shoes...

And now I jump a lot more than before :D