Tip toes for serving? HELL YES PLEASE

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jafffa, Apr 4, 2009.

1. jafffa

jafffa Regular Member

Ok, so about a month ago i was in the middle of a match and thourght, why not stand om my tip toes to serve. Please note before you get too angsty i can hold my balance very well and i'm nearly 6 foot so the the difference is worth it, about 2-3 inches... actually most of the time the difference is worth it eh?

Any way so i did my ususaly backhand short, and i was a little high- i adjusted. Now it's vastly improved my serve, i love doin back hand flick/drive serves, they catch people out so often :).

I asked the guy who runs the session and he said "DO NOT DO THIS", he said it puts you off balance, i play at intermediate level (thats what i think anyway) and nobody has taken advantage of it...

Just curious what your thoughts are on this? The informed one also said Emm's uses a standard serve without tippy toes.

2. Monster

Monster Regular Member

I've only seen one player standing on tippy toes when he served and he was apparently coached at a professional level previously, but didn't stay long in the coaching. He is an Irishman. Was just wondering if it's a British thing as I have never seen people serving on tippy toes. Without being too offensive, I asked politely when I partnered him and he told me that's how he and his team mates were coached back then.

He has good flick serves. I have good flick serves too, but not on tippy toe. My experience is that standing on tippy toes makes me feel metastable much like standing on the edge. I feel that I am more ready standing square for any pounce or rushing back compared to tippy toes.

3. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

Nope
    listen to what the guy said
    it throws you off balance even i tried this
    making you possibly serve to high or not even going over the net

4. mojopin

mojopin Regular Member

Medical student
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

nah ill let it slide this time;)

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    hey mojo, haven't seen u in the sky is falling thread...

6. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    It's your choice when you serve, and technically you're not violating any rules when you do so because your feet are still planted in the square. Pros like Tan Boon Heong serve like that too.

7. skuo2003

skuo2003 Regular Member

Plenty of people stand on tip toes when serving (myself included, as well as my coach who taught me--he plays at a national level in Taiwan). The key about balance is to stand with both foot at the line instead of one in front of the other.

8. Mathieu

Mathieu Regular Member

Student
    You could also serve like Jung Jae Sung (from Korea). He basically starts with a «regular» stance before serving and as he serves, he goes on his tip toes, which means he stays in that position for only half a second, giving him less chances to lose his balance.

I think that whats important is that you have a good and consistant serve (of course it has to be legal) and that you are ready and in balance to play the third shot, no matter what technique you use for serving. Some players put their racket as high as the rules allow it in order to gain a few inches, but they sometimes get service faults called. On the other hand, some other players (like Fu Haifeng) serve with their racket «relatively low» but still manage to have a good, consistant serve. Im saying «relatively» because his racket is pretty high when he serves, but it could be 1 or 2 inches higher and it would still be tolerated.

Also, make sure that you are able to use your technique even when you are tired (like after long rallies) because its harder to keep your balance when your heart rate is high and when your muscles are tired from the effort.

9. mojopin

mojopin Regular Member

Medical student

its gotten really long while i was travelling and i cant catch up on all the previous posts. Hang on , ill visit it now and see whats happening.. off i go....

10. jafffa

jafffa Regular Member

well opinion seems to be pretty mixed, i think i'll stick with it

11. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Quite a few players at my club do that, I guess it represents the best compromise between height and balance. Personally, I prefer a more planted and stable feel when serving and so, don't stand on my tip-toes at all.

Good idea. If it works for you then who is anyone else to tell you to serve with other methods?