Yonex BG66 string

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by badwing, Apr 5, 2009.

1. badwing

badwing Regular Member

Doctor
    Helo,

I am an intermediate recreational badminton player... i play with wilson Ncode Force with BG66 strung at 26 lbs... at first it felt awesome...clears, drops and smashes were all felt great, then i have to stop playing for 3 months.... recently i play with my wilson and it felt strange...like the strings lost its bang...

Can anybody explain this?...can a string change in just 3 months if not played?

Also... many of my friends and even the reviews regarding BG66 said that its not very durable.... while i never had a broken BG66... after playing for 6 months... anything wrong with me???
    Thanks everyone.

2. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    BG66 is the least durable string yonex makes. 3 months for a string is a bit too long for me because it plays different from that of a new string so i tend to cut after 2 months. The durability of the string has many factors like which racket are you using, do you slice, do you smash and how often you play.

3. badwing

badwing Regular Member

Doctor
    thank you phandrew,

i just can believe that we have to change every 2 months...hahaha... strings are quite expensive...lately i tried BG80 at 27lbs...feel better. btw some player likes to skip the string on the lower part of their racket....what will that do to the string performance?

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    if you haven't played for 3 months and the racket/string feels different, it is not because of the string, it is because you haven't played for 3 months. start playing regularly and you will get the good feeling back again.

as for bg66, as phandrew said, it is not durable. however, how long it lasts depends on how much and how hard you play. if you smash hard and cut a lot, and plays 2-3 times a week, it can last not long at all. but if you do mainly control shots and play once a week, it can last a few months.

5. TechKXL

TechKXL Regular Member

International Officer
    I used to have BG66 with my AT900P it was awesome for the first 1-2 months, after that, it felts dull & dead. Some fraying, but definately not breaking anytime soon. But yes, they have a very short 'lifespan' of crispness unless of course, they break before you get to 1-2 months. Oh, and I play about 2-3 times a week, 2-3 hrs per session. Hope this helps!

I now have BG85 on that racket.

6. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    Yah like others states, could be that you're not used to it or maybe the tension dropped significantly! Either way, bg66s are like my drugs of badminton... Everytime I try to run away, it keeps on coming back as my addiction :)

7. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    All things must die at some point. Strings included. If they don't break, there will come a time when they have lost a lot of tension and the feel just begins to go away. IMO, 3 months is too long to leave a set of strings in a racket.

Also, as some others have said, you may just need some time to get back in to badminton.

8. carltan101

carltan101 Regular Member

student
    I use bg66 for all my rackets and strung at 31lb. You need to string it at a high tension to get its maximum potential. I always change my string every 2-3 weeks.