Why can't we just play fair

Discussion in 'Singapore' started by happyshuttle, Apr 5, 2009.

1. happyshuttle

happyshuttle Regular Member

sales
  2. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    A very unfortunate turn of events, especially for Maris Stella.
    Perhaps they should take it up with the SBA through the school's officials.

How come no one has a video of the match?
    Isn't it usual for the teams to be recording their matches?

3. Pet shop boy

Pet shop boy Regular Member

designer
    I think is a good experience for Daryl. Take it and go forward. Sportsmanship.

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Umpires need to be fair and just

If what was reported is true, it is a shame that SBA has not sacked this umpire.

SBA should consult with both players of this final match, the linesperson(s) and all other match witnesses.

Umpires from SBA should do SBA proud. Umpires need to be fair and just. Umpires without these qualities will only discourage more participants in our beloved game of Badminton

5. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Lets not get too hasty. I just read the entry, and it doesn't explain the situation fully - was the shuttle actually out? surely if the umpire says so it was. how do we know it was in?

so far we seem to be assuming the umpire is at fault without any evidence......

Either way it sounds an exciting game!

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

It is ridiculous for an umpire to change his/her verdict after a period of 10 minutes

It is ridiculous for an umpire to change his/her verdict after a period of 10 minutes.

If based on this blog (http://www.weknowourlimits.blogspot.com/), we can read that there is a 10 minutes delay for the umpire to change his/her verdict. That's a bad sign already. :(:(:(

7. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    As I read it the first entry doesn't say anything about the decision ( I assumed the player simply didn't notice the umpire).

The second entry states the umpire didn't decide until 10 mins after (Which is a ridiculou amount of time) but does not indicate he changed his mind

I didn't read the rest of the entries (until now)....

It looks to be a murky decision, however we shouldn't judge - How old are players. This blog may not be the most accurate.

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

SBA should consult with all witnesses

Correct. That is why it is best for SBA to investigate on this matter.

SBA should consult with both players of this final match, the linesperson(s) and all other match witnesses.

9. ~PeGaSuS~

~PeGaSuS~ Regular Member

student
    The contents on this blog have certain degrees of defaming effect. Although I could feel for the TS,however it would be unfair to believe entirely on the blog content which is clearly one sided.

After reading the blog,it appears to me that the umpire did not even make a decision in the first place,so where did the change of decision comes from?

Since there wasn't any "eagle eye" like gadgets installed for this competition,how do we judge which side is making a fair statement?

10. SkyRider

SkyRider Regular Member

This is not the first time it happen when this umpire was the umpire for the match. He just give the other side extra 2 point when the score should read 19-17. He mention 19-19. The player inform him but was over rule. After the match the parent inform the chief umpire to counsel this umpire. sad to say it happen again. What we ask for is for Umpire to be fair especially in a curical match.

11. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    There shd be proper process to protest. Not all countries have all the competent umpires. These thing do happens. It's the coach job to bring up the matter to the authorities. Sad case buy like some already said move on and train harder to get the respect back.;)

12. MSHSBadmPlayer

MSHSBadmPlayer Regular Member

the SJI linejudge was sure that it was in.
    and when the umpire overruled the decision after 10 min, the SJI linejudge went up to him to confirm that the shot landed in the court.

since it was tied at 2-2 overall, with the last singles playing till it was rubber set and furthermore, tied at 29-29, about a hundred people, from SJI, victoria, RI, fuhua, etc witnessed that last shot (they finished their games long, long time ago), parents included, need me explain more?

after the last shot landed (in or out doesn't matter), the umpire, without announcing the result of the game or overruling the linejudge's call, walked to anglican's side and conversed with the coach, then came back only 10min later to tell maris players that the shot was wide. what is that supposed to mean then?

though my nick reads MSHSBadmPlayer, i am not biased in any way because that was what actually happened.

13. JBKokKeong

JBKokKeong Regular Member

Dear Darryl

The player involved Darryl Ho was my trainee. As his private badminton coach i know Darryl's character. He would not lied to win. Further more i did converse with the SJI linejudge and he was 100% sure its in. He pointed both hands straight to signal to the line judge that it was in. Further more more than 50 witness saw the shot which was well within the singles line. I spoke to darryl during my sunday training with him. Theres always Karma. What the judge did that will be return to him at 100 times harder. Lets hope its not those Cancer, AIds, or something even more scary, maybe not just about him but to his whole f..... Its indeed scary when you know Karma always exist.:mad::eek:;)

14. ~PeGaSuS~

~PeGaSuS~ Regular Member

student
    Umpire walked to the anglican side and conversed with the coach? Who had seen it? Did u see it? The coaches of ahs were talking to themselves and whole lot of ahs students and teachers were blocking them from the umpire, where did the "conversation" come from?

Please do not sprout Slander affecting official, professional or business reputation. Thank you sgwf.

15. NiKYEAM

NiKYEAM Regular Member

Student
    I was there at the match. As a player from SJI, I was waiting for my team mate to finish line judging the match, which was the last match of the day, so that we could leave together. The match had a very big audience and everyone already assumed that Daryl had won the match. The shot was clearly in, not even close to the line. But what I felt was disgraceful was how Anglican High accepted the victory and the way they told everyone there that they had won. A player from Anglican High even came up to me and told me that they had won because "the umpire had counted the score wrongly." It was only later that I found out it was because of the last shot. Obviously the Anglican player did not dare to say that they won because the umpire ruled the last shot as "out" as everyone in the hall saw the shot landing well in. After that, the teacher-in-charge for Anglican High got defensive and shouted at the SJI players, saying that we weren't involved in the match and shouldn't be defending Marist Stella. The coach and teacher-in-charge of Anglican even scolded the Marist Stella team after that. The following match however, Anglican lost convincingly to SJI, 5-0, and not that surprisingly, most of the schools involved were supporting the Josephians.

If you ask me, a win like that is not worth losing your reputation, your integrity, and any glory whatsoever. I have stated only the facts, what I've seen and heard. And I'm sticking by my claim that Marist Stella should have won that match and be the school progressing to the Top 8 round of the school nationals.

16. ~PeGaSuS~

~PeGaSuS~ Regular Member

student
    You should have seen how marist boys creating a scene in the hall dude. MSHS Coach was pushing umpire, close to 35 marist boys surrounding, scolding and pushing him around. When justice wasn't given to them they resort to violence. Kicking tables and chairs in the hall etc.

It's real sad to have seen sports ended up like this, I guess no one really expected this to happen except for that UMPIRE.

17. MSHSBadmPlayer

tell me that ahs boys wont do those stuff you've mentioned in red if the shuttle was wide but the umpire called it in at 29-29.

and now, who saw 35 MARIST BOYS "surrounding, scolding and pushing him around"? yes, they did scold the umpire, but where did the surrounding and pushing come from, huh? again, tell me the ahs boys scold the umpire if the shuttle was wide but the umpire called it in.

i'm not sure about the pushing the umpire part, but mshs coach did call the umpire a cheater. guess what, the umpire didnt even dare to look at him in the eye, what does that show?

and lastly, the umpire asked for it.
    duh, no one expected a biased umpire too.

#17 MSHSBadmPlayer, Apr 9, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  18. MSHSBadmPlayer

oooh, blocking them from the umpire?

tell me what the umpire did when he went over to ahs's side then. give ahs a surprise? i dont think so :D

19. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Um, it's past three in the morning!
    Guys, you need to sleep this off ;)

20. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Look who's doing the talk, Oldhand.