Will Lee Chong Wei remain World No.1 until the 2012 OG?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Apr 6, 2009.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Lee Chong Wei to remain as World No.1 until the 2012 Olympic Games

Greetings,

From we what have witnessed recently, China is no longer interested to have Lin Dan to regain his World No.1 position.

As disappointed as most of us BCers are (wanting to watch matches between Lee Chong Wei and Lin Dan), we might only get to watch them play each other in fewer occasions from now on.

IMHO, Lee Chong Wei could remain as World No.1 until he retires after the 2012 Olympic Games.

This thread is created to monitor players who could come forward to challenge Lee Chong Wei.

Cheers... chris-ccc
    :):):)

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^I'll input 1 name (out of many) to challenge Datuk LCW from now til OG 2012..^^

..Chen Long aka Dragon Chen..:cool:

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Why would Chen Long be selected to topple LCW No.1 position?

This is strange. If China doesn't send Lin Dan, their best MS player, why would Chen Long be selected to topple LCW's World No.1 position? :confused::confused::confused:

4. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    is China deem that even CL can topple LCW. :D :D

5. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

are you sure?;)
    if he got the chance to compete in more tournaments, then sure will have chance, but what if clockwise?;):p

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Sure, why not??..

..India GP is not a proof??..Sooner or later, Chen Long will be sent to more tourneys. LD is probably going to get less exposure in the next 3+ yrs (which is quite a long time), so in effect, CL and the other younger players will be sent out. Strange??..

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Chen Jin is most likely to overtake LCW quicker than Chen Long

Looking at the BWF World Ranking table/list, it would take Chen Long a long, long time to overtake LCW.

If we are to consider a CHN player to overtake LCW, perhaps Chen Jin is most likely to do it quicker.

8. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    well,ld can takeover lcw in the end of 2009 BUT he need to win everything(wc,ss and gp gold)start from the sudirman cup until the end of 2009
    which is unlikely as he wont participate as much as lcw will:rolleyes:

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Let it be..

..if it's Chen Jin to overtake LCW, then let it be..
    There are other players waiting (e.g. PSH) in the wing and 3+ yrs is quite a ways to go until the OG. How sure are we that LCW will stay at the top spot/WR #1 all the way til OG 2012??..:confused:

10. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    i quite sure that he will remain in top 3 for long time as long as he wont FOOD POISONING every tournament:p

11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^What if..^^

..rather than wait til after the 2012 OG, Datuk LCW & WMC decide to get hitched early??..:confused: ;)

12. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    hehe,i hope to see lcw participate 4 og:p until 2020
    hehe,joke

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Who do we think can overtake LCW from his WR #1 position?

That's precisely the main point. Currently, we see no player, other than our great Lin Dan, to challenge Lee Chong Wei's World #1 position.

This is why this thread is created: Who do we think can overtake LCW from his WR #1 position?

#13 chris-ccc, Apr 6, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Will it be clear coasting for LCW til OG 2012??..^^

..my personal answer is most likely not. Why? I've mentioned it in my post #9 :
    There are other players waiting (e.g. PSH) in the wing and 3+ yrs is quite a ways to go until the 2012 OG.
    Unless LCW can duplicate what LD did from late 2004 til 2008, one is surely putting a whole lot of guarantee on LCW to retain his WR #1 position til 2012. Remember also, LD had a lot of teammates joining him in the fray during that time period.

#14 ctjcad, Apr 6, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  15. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

It is indeed possible unless LCW win WC and then decide to attend only a few tournaments each year (like LD).

Other players (like PG, TH, PSH, CJ, BCL, Sony) can topple LCW now and then, but it is unlikely that they can reach No.1 themselves. Especially when we take a closer look at the situation:

TH, PG: Too old;
    CJ: Has chronicle waist problem since 2007.
    BCL: Has severe knee problem.
    Sony: Seems also in some serious injury.

PSH: PSH has the ability to beat anyone, but it's just hard to imagine him reaching World No. 1. ;)

16. k_sakic

k_sakic Regular Member

Lee Chong Wei is a good player...however, i think that 2009-2010 will probably be his last years as a competitive player to be able to play consistently on the circuit and still remain in the #1 position rankings...if you look at previous badminton players, they all peaked from ages 21-25...after that..their explosive plays start to diminish...for instance, after 2005, Taufik's winning percetange dropped dramatically...Simarily, Peter Gade lost his #1 ranking after a while...players are unable to keep up their stamina to play on a regular basis. Moreover, older players are more injury proned; besides, better players (like Chen Long like some people mentioned will improve and take over)

I think that's why Lin Dan's picking and choosing his tournaments now...he's only playing in the more important ones..like World Championships and All England...in fact...i think that's a smart move, because he'll avoid the risk of injuries by playing in less tournaments.

one more thing is...i also believe that the 2009 or 2010 World Championships are in fact the last chances Lee Chong Wei has to win the title

17. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    1st,i dont think lcw will become LESS competitive after 2010:p
    2nd,lcw need to play more tournament because there is no bcl and cj or cl in malaysia,so,he need to play more torunament(mean he can get more competitive and keep his form);)
    3rd,can lcw stop ld as the 1st in history to win 3 consecutive wc?unlikely;)

18. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Chris' thread title is one thing i hoped to be real.
    He didn't start his peak early, he supposed to end it later, then. It'll be fair. (^_@)

He's lack of good sparring partners and should take part regularly in tournaments. i agree, limsy. This should sustain his Wr1 as the China Dragons are somehow selective, aren't they? What i hoped for is his participations could also helped him to be stronger in top tournament i.e WC and not getting him weaker due to tiredness and all. This is up to him and his coach to decide on.

19. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    To be WR No.1, DLCW should take part regularly in tournaments. This will ensure that he earn enough points to be at the top of WR, just as what as he does previously.

What is the meaning of World Ranked No. 1 player for DLCW if he is still not yet win any major championships? I am sure Datuk's desire to win the major championships is much more stronger than maintaining his No.1 ranking.

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

k_sakic believes that 2009-2010 will probably be Lee Chong Wei's last years as #1

Hi k_sakic,

It's great to find your first posting. Welcome to Badminton Central !!! :):):)