User Tag List

Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 53 ... LastLast
Results 35 to 51 of 1130
  1. #35
    Moderator Oldhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Asia
    Posts
    7,332
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Question Title

    Reading the title "Lee Chong Wei to remain as World No. 1 until the 2012 Olympic Games", I thought the BWF had decided to keep Chong Wei at No. 1 until London

    Since it's clear that chris is only speculating, the title is amended to a question

  2. #36
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    12,129
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by General Foo View Post
    .............

    People who have said lcw takes part in tournaments as part of his training due to lack of good sparring partners may have a point. But others who have said that taking part in so many minor tournaments harms his chances in the big tournaments (WC and Olympics) also present a valid argument. I think if LCW really wants to win the big tournaments then he might need to find a balance and sacrafice some ranking points. But shame i dont see him doing it.
    1) LCW taking part due to lack of good sparring partners : "People" say that cos Misbun said that in the press, at least 2X.
    2) Taking part in some minor tournaments (Like India Open) has already been explained, is part of contract obligation to Yonex.

    3) LCW already said he will take part less (wherever possible) in later part of 2009. The Budget from NSC is also less this year

    4) One point that many missed, either Rashid or Misbun mentioned one time that LCW has to go so many tourneys cos if not, the MS dept has nothing to show. Which means they need the results to show the bosses and the back up MS arent rising up yet (same with most countries too).
    But this was end of 2008, now economy down, sure go less tourney.

    5) As I already mentioned many times, either WR#1 or WR#2 doesnt make much difference to LCW in terms of incentive from BAM - no 1 & 2 gets same quarterly incentive. That ranking has to be maintained 3 to 4 months, so LCW just have to maintain WR#2 enough already. Unless,of course, Yonex has given LCW different deal.

    6) Of course, the other reason of maintaining WR#1, is the draw, but I dont see it being favourable.

    LD doesnt have to participate so many tourneys cos Team China is signed with Li Ning now, seems they dont sign with Yonex, so not obligated to participate in Yonex sponsored tourneys. And BAM's other main sponsor Proton might have certain requirements too.

  3. #37
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,817
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow Players from China are currently ranked lower than they should

    .
    ctjcad ... Thank you for providing the data.

    The data over the last decade shows why Lee Chong Wei, Lin Dan, Peter Gade and Taufik Hidayat are so special. To be in the top rankings, not only their skill level is necessary, but also their participation rate.

    Players from China are currently ranked lower than they should. It is because of their lower participation rate. Not only in the CHN Mens Singles, but also in the Womens Singles, Womens Doubles and Mixed Doubles.

    IMHO, Chen Long will come into the top rankings when CHN decides to participate in more tournaments (with him included). As Chen Long rises, probably Bao Chun Lai will fade away.
    .

  4. #38
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,817
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow chris is only speculating, the title is amended to a question

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand View Post

    Reading the title "Lee Chong Wei to remain as World No. 1 until the 2012 Olympic Games", I thought the BWF had decided to keep Chong Wei at No. 1 until London

    Since it's clear that chris is only speculating, the title is amended to a question

    .
    Thank you Oldhand for amending the title.
    .

  5. #39
    Regular Member ctjcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    u.s.a.
    Posts
    19,157
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default All of those factors..

    Quote Originally Posted by chris@ccc View Post
    ....
    The data over the last decade shows why Lee Chong Wei, Lin Dan, Peter Gade and Taufik Hidayat are so special. To be in the top rankings, not only their skill level is necessary, but also their participation rate.

    Players from China are currently ranked lower than they should. It is because of their lower participation rate. Not only in the CHN Mens Singles, but also in the Womens Singles, Womens Doubles and Mixed Doubles.

    IMHO, Chen Long will come into the top rankings when CHN decides to participate in more tournaments (with him included). As Chen Long rises, probably Bao Chun Lai will fade away.
    .
    ..as already mentioned by others in this thread.
    The point is, there's no guarantee LCW or other current top 10 ranked players will stay where they are til 2012 OG. Too much unknown variables, uncontrollable factors & good players to take into account.

    The only way, reasonably & at the same time unforeseeably to happen, for LCW to stay on top WR #1 til the 2012 OG is if the rest of the world ranked players decide to compete in 1/3 or 1/2 of the yearly SS tourneys and LCW decides to compete in all of the SS tourneys, from now til 2012.

    As for BCL "fading away", i won't be surprised to see that..

    Good to know the thread's titles had been "fairly" amended..
    Last edited by ctjcad; 04-07-2009 at 01:36 PM.

  6. #40
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    US
    Posts
    2,613
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    As if to support my analysis, CJ just pulled out of BAC to prepare for Sudirman (and treat his chronicle waist injury).

    The situation is, all the players that have the ability to challenge LCW can be divided into the following categories

    1. choose to attend only a few SSs (LD)
    2. too old to consistently win titles (PG, TH)
    3. have severe injury problems (BCL, CJ, SDK)



    CL will surely rise up to top 10 if given the chance, but No.1 is still clearly out of his reach.

    Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    ..as already mentioned by others in this thread.
    The point is, there's no guarantee LCW or other current top 10 ranked players will stay where they are til 2012 OG. Too much unknown variables, uncontrollable factors & good players to take into account.

    The only way, reasonably & at the same time unforeseeably to happen, for LCW to stay on top WR #1 til the 2012 OG is if the rest of the world ranked players decide to compete in 1/3 or 1/2 of the yearly SS tourneys and LCW decides to compete in all of the SS tourneys, from now til 2012.

    As for BCL "fading away", i won't be surprised to see that..

    Good to know the thread's titles had been "fairly" amended..

  7. #41
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,817
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow Chen Long is playing at the 2009 Badminton Asia Championships (Suwon, Korea)

    Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post

    As long as Chen Long is given the opportunities to compete, which imo they should strongly go for, his ranking will move up quite a bit. How long or fast he'll move up, imo, it depends how many tournaments he's being sent to.

    .
    In just a few hours' time Chen Long will be playing his first match (Round 1) at the 2009 Badminton Asia Championships (Suwon, Korea).

    Will Chen Long's World Ranking move up after this tournament?
    .
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 04-07-2009 at 03:55 PM.

  8. #42
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,611
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Many people predict CH or XXZ will play until 08OG after the 04 edition, but they are simply wrong. Aside from the rising young guns who took over their spot, their performance also dropped drastically (XXZ especially). 4 years is a long time in sport, let alone remain in World No.1.

    I think CJ and CL will be the biggest threat in the short-coming, and LD has the ability to take over anyday if he and team Chain decided to. This is not going to be easy for LCW.

  9. #43
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,817
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow This thread is created to monitor players (outside CHN) who could challenge LCW

    Quote Originally Posted by Wong8Egg View Post

    ...... 4 years is a long time in sport, let alone remain in World No.1.

    I think CJ and CL will be the biggest threat in the short-coming, and LD has the ability to take over anyday if he and team Chain decided to. This is not going to be easy for LCW.

    .
    LCW stated that he would continue until the 2012 Olympic Games. My predictions are never that good, usually only 50% correct.

    We witnessed that CHN is not that keen anymore to regain the World No.1 MS Ranking. Because of this, it seems that LCW could have a good chance of continuing to remain as the World No.1 until the 2012 Olympic Games.

    This thread is created to monitor players who could come forward to challenge Lee Chong Wei.


    .

  10. #44
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    US
    Posts
    2,613
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The situation is in fact totally different... The "rising young guns" (LD, BCL, LCW) after 04 OG were much stronger than those "rising guns" today, and there are "not-so-old guns" (PG, TH, LHI, KJ) who were at least the same level as XXZ and CH. In other words, the "environment" was much harder then for XXZ and CH.

    Furthermore CH may indeed be able to play till 08 if he was not kicked out of the national team (and thus lost the superior training resource).

    Quote Originally Posted by Wong8Egg View Post
    Many people predict CH or XXZ will play until 08OG after the 04 edition, but they are simply wrong. Aside from the rising young guns who took over their spot, their performance also dropped drastically (XXZ especially). 4 years is a long time in sport, let alone remain in World No.1.

    I think CJ and CL will be the biggest threat in the short-coming, and LD has the ability to take over anyday if he and team Chain decided to. This is not going to be easy for LCW.

  11. #45
    Regular Member ctjcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    u.s.a.
    Posts
    19,157
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default That's right..

    Quote Originally Posted by ye333 View Post
    As if to support my analysis, CJ just pulled out of BAC to prepare for Sudirman (and treat his chronicle waist injury).

    The situation is, all the players that have the ability to challenge LCW can be divided into the following categories

    1. choose to attend only a few SSs (LD)
    2. too old to consistently win titles (PG, TH)
    3. have severe injury problems (BCL, CJ, SDK)



    CL will surely rise up to top 10 if given the chance, but No.1 is still clearly out of his reach.
    ..and guess where were LCW and LD, around the same time as now, after the 2000 OG??..Can you spot their WR then??..And compare their WR before, during and after the 2004 OG. And guess how long it took for them to reach their standing, just after the 2004 OG??..

    I'm not saying Dragon Chen will be "the one" to challenge LCW and all the top players or reach the no.1 ranking, but he is "one to look out for"..in the near future..
    Last edited by ctjcad; 04-07-2009 at 06:33 PM.

  12. #46
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Shah Alam
    Posts
    2,851
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    I'm not saying Dragon Chen will be "the one" to challenge LCW and all the top players or reach the no.1 ranking, but he is "one to look out for"..in the near future..
    That's how it should go.Chen Long is, for sure, have a great potential, by looking at his "I beat WR1 when i was seeded 100++." You can different interpretation but i think it wasn't ordinary.
    whether he's going to make it or not, it's still not the time for judgement.

    Lee Chong Wei is capable to keep his WR1, for quite some times. While waiting for the juniors who can challenged him to groom a little bit more, Lee Chong Wei has less to worry about. Others are not so interested with Rankings and all.
    Lee Chong Wei and his coach should be able to secure major titles, though.
    It'll be cool, and this can shut the criticizers' mouth up.

  13. #47
    Regular Member ctjcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    u.s.a.
    Posts
    19,157
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Bold..

    Quote Originally Posted by koo_fan View Post
    ...
    Lee Chong Wei and his coach should be able to secure major titles, though.
    It'll be cool, and this can shut the criticizers' mouth up.
    ..i hope that won't stir up another round of "Lovey Dovey Talk" from Pemuda..

  14. #48
    Regular Member danielwong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    KL
    Posts
    4,484
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    answer should be "NO"
    i think LCW concern now should be winning major titles,
    AE, OG, WC.....at least one of this title...
    WR 1 is nothing for him now
    like LD.....eventhough LD is not WR 1, but everybody knew he is the best around
    LCW should focus on that rather than thinking of maintaining as WR 1 on paper...

  15. #49
    Moderator Oldhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Asia
    Posts
    7,332
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Aside from the thread's topic, it's strange that many here see Chen Long as a threat to the top players.

    Judging by his game at the India Open, he is hardly a great player. Yes, he is tall and powerfully built but his current skills are woefully inadequate to take on any of the senior players.

    A fighter like Nguyen Tien Minh or Kuan Beng Hong or a clever player like Taufik Hidayat or Peter Gade would murder the Chen Long of today.

    His footwork in his semifinal against Hafiz Hashim was embarrassing, although that could be due to the tricky nature of the Malaysian's game.

    If Chen Long is champion material, we are talking about a few years ahead.
    Right now, he is just another age-disguised China player pretending to be a junior.

    Any threat to Lee Chong Wei (or Lin Dan) won't be coming from Chen Long.

  16. #50
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,817
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow Let's have another look at Chen Long again

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand View Post

    Aside from the thread's topic, it's strange that many here see Chen Long as a threat to the top players.

    Judging by his game at the India Open, he is hardly a great player. Yes, he is tall and powerfully built but his current skills are woefully inadequate to take on any of the senior players.

    A fighter like Nguyen Tien Minh or Kuan Beng Hong or a clever player like Taufik Hidayat or Peter Gade would murder the Chen Long of today.

    His footwork in his semifinal against Hafiz Hashim was embarrassing, although that could be due to the tricky nature of the Malaysian's game.

    If Chen Long is champion material, we are talking about a few years ahead.
    Right now, he is just another age-disguised China player pretending to be a junior.

    Any threat to Lee Chong Wei (or Lin Dan) won't be coming from Chen Long.

    .
    At the 2009 BAC (Badminton Asia Championships) at Suwon, Korea (April 7-12), Chen Long will be on show again.

    In Round 2, Chen Long will have his rematch with Hafiz Hashim. This match will commence tonight, Wednesday 8-April-2009, at 8:05pm (Korean time).

    Let's have another look at Chen Long again.
    .

  17. #51
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    malaysia
    Posts
    22,181
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    ..and guess where were LCW and LD, around the same time as now, after the 2000 OG??..Can you spot their WR then??..And compare their WR before, during and after the 2004 OG. And guess how long it took for them to reach their standing, just after the 2004 OG??..
    lindan already the top seed in 2004 og while lcw is

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand View Post
    A fighter like Nguyen Tien Minh or Kuan Beng Hong or a clever player like Taufik Hidayat or Peter Gade would murder the Chen Long of today.
    how about the lazy hafiz?

Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 53 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Malaysia Open 2012: lee chong wei vs chen long video??
    By youngboy1984 in forum Korea Open / Malaysia Open 2012
    Replies: 22
    : 01-22-2012, 12:27 PM
  2. Lee Chong Wei = 2012 Olympics Gold?
    By socialpro in forum Malaysia Professional Players
    Replies: 33
    : 01-24-2010, 06:45 AM
  3. 2012 - The End of The WORLD?
    By george@chongwei in forum Chit-Chat
    Replies: 70
    : 12-02-2009, 12:06 AM
  4. World No.1 vs. No.2 (lin dan vs chong wei)
    By alfa2 in forum Professional Players
    Replies: 2
    : 10-09-2006, 05:52 PM
  5. Chong Wei is world # 1 again..
    By rlaurel_7 in forum Malaysia Professional Players
    Replies: 43
    : 09-05-2006, 03:31 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •