User Tag List

Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 52 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chris' thread title is one thing i hoped to be real.
    He didn't start his peak early, he supposed to end it later, then. It'll be fair. (^_@)

He's lack of good sparring partners and should take part regularly in tournaments. i agree, limsy. This should sustain his Wr1 as the China Dragons are somehow selective, aren't they? What i hoped for is his participations could also helped him to be stronger in top tournament i.e WC and not getting him weaker due to tiredness and all. This is up to him and his coach to decide on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be WR No.1, DLCW should take part regularly in tournaments. This will ensure that he earn enough points to be at the top of WR, just as what as he does previously.

What is the meaning of World Ranked No. 1 player for DLCW if he is still not yet win any major championships? I am sure Datuk's desire to win the major championships is much more stronger than maintaining his No.1 ranking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow k_sakic believes that 2009-2010 will probably be Lee Chong Wei's last years as #1

Quote Originally Posted by k_sakic View Post

Lee Chong Wei is a good player...however, i think that 2009-2010 will probably be his last years as a competitive player to be able to play consistently on the circuit and still remain in the #1 position rankings...if you look at previous badminton players, they all peaked from ages 21-25...after that..their explosive plays start to diminish...for instance, after 2005, Taufik's winning percentage dropped dramatically...Similarly, Peter Gade lost his #1 ranking after a while...players are unable to keep up their stamina to play on a regular basis. Moreover, older players are more injury prone; besides, better players (like Chen Long like some people mentioned will improve and take over)

I think that's why Lin Dan's picking and choosing his tournaments now...he's only playing in the more important ones..like World Championships and All England...in fact...i think that's a smart move, because he'll avoid the risk of injuries by playing in less tournaments.

one more thing is...i also believe that the 2009 or 2010 World Championships are in fact the last chances Lee Chong Wei has to win the title.

Hi k_sakic,

It's great to find your first posting. Welcome to Badminton Central !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow It appears that no player can overtake Lee Chong Wei's No.1 ranking

Quote Originally Posted by koo_fan View Post

Chris' thread title is one thing i hoped to be real.
    He didn't start his peak early, he supposed to end it later, then. It'll be fair. (^_@)

He's lack of good sparring partners and should take part regularly in tournaments. i agree, limsy. This should sustain his Wr1 as the China Dragons are somehow selective, aren't they? What i hoped for is his participations could also helped him to be stronger in top tournament i.e WC and not getting him weaker due to tiredness and all. This is up to him and his coach to decide on.

Yes, since the China Dragons have currently abandoned their desire to regain the World No.1 position, it appears that no player can overtake Lee Chong Wei's ranking.

Currently, Lee Chong Wei continues to gain more and more ranking points. He is leaving everybody so far behind.

This thread hopes to keep a close watch over any player(s) who could come forward to challenge him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Why is it that no player is determined to overtake Lee Chong Wei's No.1 position?

Quote Originally Posted by Dato Asbullah View Post

To be WR No.1, DLCW should take part regularly in tournaments. This will ensure that he earn enough points to be at the top of WR, just as what as he does previously.

What is the meaning of World Ranked No. 1 player for DLCW if he is still not yet win any major championships? I am sure Datuk's desire to win the major championships is much more stronger than maintaining his No.1 ranking.

Agree. There are some players desiring to win some certain major championships.

But why is it that no player is determined enough to overtake Lee Chong Wei's No.1 position?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hm..are you sure that LCW can maintain no.1 all the way till 2012? I think it is very tough..Chen Long will arise by that time

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by huangkwokhau View Post
    hm..are you sure that LCW can maintain no.1 all the way till 2012? I think it is very tough..Chen Long will arise by that time
    oh,i get what u mean,hauge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by chris@ccc View Post
    Agree. There are some players desiring to win some certain major championships.

But why is it that no player is determined enough to overtake Lee Chong Wei's No.1 position?
    why should anyone take lcw's no 1 position when i would say a lot of the badminton community knows it doesnt mean he is the best player in the world. LD is clearly the best MS player at the moment. this completely undermines the world no 1 status. To other players, winning olympic gold, and world championships is clearly more prestigious.

People who have said lcw takes part in tournaments as part of his training due to lack of good sparring partners may have a point. But others who have said that taking part in so many minor tournaments harms his chances in the big tournaments (WC and Olympics) also present a valid argument. I think if LCW really wants to win the big tournaments then he might need to find a balance and sacrafice some ranking points. But shame i dont see him doing it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Foo View Post
    if LCW really wants to win the big tournaments then he might need to find a balance and sacrafice some ranking points. But
    wants and will is different
    u see,
    the x times ae winner
    og winner
    x times tc winner
    x times sc winner
    wc twice(and coming 3rd time wc winner) is in wc 2009,sc 2009,ae 2010,tc 2010,wc 2010 and more

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Will Chen Long be given the opportunity to make it to World No.1?

Quote Originally Posted by huangkwokhau View Post

hm..are you sure that LCW can maintain no.1 all the way till 2012? I think it is very tough..Chen Long will arise by that time.

It could be assumed that Chen Long would arise to be a better player than LCW and LD sooner or later. The question is whether he would be given the opportunity to make it to World No.1.

There have been many threads where we have discussed and debated on who is the best player in the world. This is not one of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there an article showing how LD will only pick certain tournaments to play in, or is this just speculation??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chris@ccc View Post
    It could be assumed that Chen Long would arise to be a better player than LCW and LD sooner or later. The question is whether he would be given the opportunity to make it to World No.1.

ok,lets made it clear.
    cl wont be able to reach top ten at the end of 2009,ok?
    he wont be able to reach top 3 in the middle of 2010,ok?
    clear?fair?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow The World No.1 is not only a great player, but also one who works hard at it

Quote Originally Posted by General Foo View Post

why should anyone take lcw's no 1 position when i would say a lot of the badminton community knows it doesnt mean he is the best player in the world. LD is clearly the best MS player at the moment. this completely undermines the world no 1 status. To other players, winning olympic gold, and world championships is clearly more prestigious.

People who have said lcw takes part in tournaments as part of his training due to lack of good sparring partners may have a point. But others who have said that taking part in so many minor tournaments harms his chances in the big tournaments (WC and Olympics) also present a valid argument. I think if LCW really wants to win the big tournaments then he might need to find a balance and sacrifice some ranking points. But shame i dont see him doing it.

Perhaps Badminton needs a private sponsor giving $$$ to the player who carries the World No.1 tag. But then again, China doesn't seem to be interested in prize monies.

In my book, the World No.1 is not only a great player, but also one who works hard to gain BWF ranking points. Currently, LCW holds these qualities.

IMHO, if LCW were to miss more tournaments, his performance would suffer. His opportunity to improve comes from participating in more tournaments.

Because LCW wishes to win the next Olympic Gold medal, we could see him playing as often as he could, unless injuries prevent him from doing so.
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 04-06-2009 at 04:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Here are some past ranking datas of WR #1..

..reality is, it is a tough feat to maintain one's WR #1 for 4 yrs, let alone to dominate the entire field for the same period of time...Looking at the list of ranking datas below, LD has been the only MS player to maintain that stature (from 2004 til 2008).
    As long as Chen Long is given the opportunities to compete, which imo they should strongly go for, his ranking will move up quite a bit. How long or fast he'll move up, imo, it depends how many tournaments he's being sent to.
    Who knows, if Chen Long is not "the next one", maybe someone else will come out of nowhere to surprise us.

MS World Ranking, after the 2004 OG (taken abt the same time as now). Look at Chen Jin's ranking at that time and compare it to now.

http://internationalbadminton.org/hi...ankno=484&id=1
    http://internationalbadminton.org/hi...=GO&rankno=484

MS World Ranking after the 2000 OG (taken abt the same time as now). As a matter of fact, LinDan and LCW weren't even ranked in the top 100. Make that, both of them weren't even in competition when this ranking was recorded. Check out Bao Chun Lai's ranking (#347 overall) and compare it to Chen Long's current ranking (if not mistaken, it's in the #100-125).
    But look at what 3+ yrs did for them...

http://internationalbadminton.org/hi...ankno=278&id=1
    http://internationalbadminton.org/hi...=GO&rankno=278

MS World Ranking after the 1996 OG (taken abt the same time as now). Look at Peter Gade's ranking.
    http://internationalbadminton.org/hi...rankno=68&id=1

Last edited by ctjcad; 04-06-2009 at 05:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Is there an article showing how LD will only pick certain tournaments to play in?

Quote Originally Posted by Athelete1234 View Post

Is there an article showing how LD will only pick certain tournaments to play in, or is this just speculation??

It's just a speculation, I would think.

But it is hoped that LD could participate in more tournaments whenever LCW is there. It will generate more interest amongst us at Badminton Central.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tis the task of..

Quote Originally Posted by Athelete1234 View Post
    ..suetyan or our numero uno, die-hard LinDan's supporter, cooler, to investigate, if there's such an article...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kay cool, cause I still think LD is motivated to play tournaments where it counts, and for a good audience (like at home in China).

Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 52 ... LastLast