User Tag List

Page 37 of 67 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... LastLast
Results 613 to 629 of 1130
  1. #613
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    414
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Read from newspaper, the grand slams are OG, AG, WC, AE, Thomas Cup and Sudirman Cup. And I think it's fair to call these titles the Grand Slams (anyway, it's only my personal opinion....). OK, I didn't know that in Tennis, OG is also as prestige as grand slams...
    Grand Slams in Badminton are OG, AG, WC, AE, Thomas Cup and Sudirman Cup???
    Which newspaper reported that??

    1) Why AG?? It is not fair cos non-Asians players will have no chance in winning it.
    2) Grand Slams in tennis are won individually, not as a team, otherwise Davis Cup will be a Grand Slam too..
    3) Team event like TC and Sudirman Cup, to win it you need to have all round strength, you will need a whole team to perform..

  2. #614
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    414
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Read from newspaper, the grand slams are OG, AG, WC, AE, Thomas Cup and Sudirman Cup. And I think it's fair to call these titles the Grand Slams (anyway, it's only my personal opinion....). OK, I didn't know that in Tennis, OG is also as prestige as grand slams...
    Grand Slams in Badminton are OG, AG, WC, AE, Thomas Cup and Sudirman Cup???
    Which newspaper reported that??

    1) Why AG?? It is not fair cos non-Asians players will have no chance in winning it.
    2) Grand Slams in tennis are won individually, not as a team, otherwise Davis Cup will be a Grand Slam too..
    3) Team event like TC and Sudirman Cup, to win it you need to have all round strength, you will need a whole team to perform..

  3. #615
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Malaysia BOLEH...!!!
    Posts
    4,275
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
    Grand Slams in Badminton are OG, AG, WC, AE, Thomas Cup and Sudirman Cup???
    Which newspaper reported that??

    1) Why AG?? It is not fair cos non-Asians players will have no chance in winning it.
    2) Grand Slams in tennis are won individually, not as a team, otherwise Davis Cup will be a Grand Slam too..
    3) Team event like TC and Sudirman Cup, to win it you need to have all round strength, you will need a whole team to perform..
    OK OK OK... why so argumentative? Relax... LAH....

    1. For Non-Asian players, may be the AG title can be replaced by something like European title? (I think PG won it many times)
    2. Agree with U... it's kind of different when it comes to badm and Tennis... though I find it weird that the Davis Cup winner (team) does not necessary has strong individual player (at least not Federer for Swiss and Nadal for Spain)
    3. In badm, most of the strong individual players are from the badm power houses... so eventually these few countries will win (so are these players)

  4. #616
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,847
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Smile How Badminton players are fighting for their countries

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    OK OK OK... why so argumentative? Relax... LAH....
    .
    Hahaha...... That's the difference between Badminton and Tennis fans.

    While Tennis fans are thinking of how Tennis players are at tournaments entertaining them; Badminton fans are thinking of how Badminton players are fighting for their countries.
    .

  5. #617
    Regular Member extremenanopowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    SG. Go for NCAP-L2 certified coach.
    Posts
    11,849
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    My definition of granslam is AE, MO, IO and CM. I'll follow tennis standards. Better standard as this is proven and acknowledged. I chose 4 countries and exclude JO. Things like WC and OG, I call it super grandslam. . Just like you call super series.

  6. #618
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,847
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up In Tennis, we have what we called a 'World Tour' for professional Tennis players

    Quote Originally Posted by extremenanopowe View Post
    My definition of granslam is AE, MO, IO and CM. I'll follow tennis standards. Better standard as this is proven and acknowledged. I chose 4 countries and exclude JO. Things like WC and OG, I call it super grandslam. . Just like you call super series.
    .
    BTW in Tennis, we have what we called a 'World Tour' for professional Tennis players to entertain us.

    In Badminton, many players are not just thinking of entertaining us, but to bring glory to their National Badminton Associations.
    .

  7. #619
    Regular Member ctjcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    u.s.a.
    Posts
    19,157
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by extremenanopowe View Post
    My definition of granslam is AE, MO, IO and CM. I'll follow tennis standards. Better standard as this is proven and acknowledged. I chose 4 countries and exclude JO. Things like WC and OG, I call it super grandslam. . Just like you call super series.
    off topic:
    So i guess you're basing those 4 tourneys on the regions of the world where badminton is popular?
    If one wants to follow the tennis standards of the 4 grand slams, then unfortunately those 4 baddy tourneys don't have the requirements.
    Further, the 4 tennis grand slams all have these in common: world ranking points, tradition, prize-money awarded, and public attention.
    * WR points category: those 4 tourneys have the same WR points as the other SS..so nothing special.
    * Tradition category: If one wants to include the oldest baddy tourneys, then the Scottish Open is older than the MO, IO and CM (as in China Masters)..the only 2 tourneys which apply in that list of yours will only be the AE and M'sia Open..Btw, you should throw in the Denmark Open in the mix as i believe baddy is as popular if not more popular in Denmark than in UK plus the Denmark Open has a lot of history (started abt the same time as the M'sia Open)..
    * Prize-money awarded : unfortunately, those 4 baddy tourneys all have the same amt of prize-money money awarded..until end of this yr.
    * Public attention: this is arguably the only category which applies as those tourneys occur in the most popular baddy regions..
    Last edited by ctjcad; 11-29-2010 at 03:47 PM.

  8. #620
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,847
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up Our world number1 Badminton player is Lee Chong Wei

    Quote Originally Posted by Isometric_kid View Post
    don't get steam over this, LCW is only BWF's #1, not world #1.
    How can LCW be world #1 when he haven't come close to winning a WC yet???

    Saying LCW is #1 player in the world is like saying Mel Blanc is the best or #1 actor because he had appeared in the most movies ever. Anyone heard of Mel Blanc??
    .
    So we shall summarise (currently for our Badminton Mens Singles) that;

    Our world champion is Chen Jin (CHN).
    Our world best player is Lin Dan (CHN).
    Our world number 1 player is Lee Chong Wei (MAS).

    Hope that in the near future, we can find all 3 titles won by just ONE player.
    .
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 11-29-2010 at 04:55 PM.

  9. #621
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    414
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    .
    Hahaha...... That's the difference between Badminton and Tennis fans.

    While Tennis fans are thinking of how Tennis players are at tournaments entertaining them; Badminton fans are thinking of how Badminton players are fighting for their countries.
    .
    Guess the structure is different.
    In tennis, players are representing themselves, tour is organised by ATP. Truly professional. In badminton, players come under national associations with the exceptions of independent players, tournaments are organised by national associations.No choice la..unless badminton players can come up with their own ATP-like organisations and big sponsors, the structure will remain.

  10. #622
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    414
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    OK OK OK... why so argumentative? Relax... LAH....

    1. For Non-Asian players, may be the AG title can be replaced by something like European title? (I think PG won it many times)
    2. Agree with U... it's kind of different when it comes to badm and Tennis... though I find it weird that the Davis Cup winner (team) does not necessary has strong individual player (at least not Federer for Swiss and Nadal for Spain)
    3. In badm, most of the strong individual players are from the badm power houses... so eventually these few countries will win (so are these players)
    Sorry if i gave u the impression that sounded like one..well I was juz curious ..peace
    1. For Non-Asian players, may be the AG title can be replaced by something like European title? (I think PG won it many times)
    Well..IMHO, Grand Slam title has to be open to all nationalities, not European Championship or AG or Asian Badminton Championship(ABC)..so i think it should be just WC, OG and AE.

  11. #623
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Malaysia BOLEH...!!!
    Posts
    4,275
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
    Guess the structure is different.
    In tennis, players are representing themselves, tour is organised by ATP. Truly professional. In badminton, players come under national associations with the exceptions of independent players, tournaments are organised by national associations.No choice la..unless badminton players can come up with their own ATP-like organisations and big sponsors, the structure will remain.
    Agree... that's why I think the Davis Cup is not as prestige as the Grand Slams compare to Thomas Cup/Uber Cup and Sudirman Cup. That's why I think it's fair to include these team events in the Badminton Grand Slam... anyway, each of his own... lah... BOLEH

  12. #624
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    414
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    BTW in Tennis, we have what we called a 'World Tour' for professional Tennis players to entertain us.
    Not just to entertain us, but also helps the players to earn lots of $$$$$

    In Badminton, many players are not just thinking of entertaining us, but to bring glory to their National Badminton Associations.
    True also for other sports,i.e. football,hockey,..etc

  13. #625
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,847
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up Not just to entertain us, but also helps the players to earn lots of $$$$$

    Quote Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
    BTW in Tennis, we have what we called a 'World Tour' for professional Tennis players to entertain us.
    Not just to entertain us, but also helps the players to earn lots of $$$$$

    In Badminton, many players are not just thinking of entertaining us, but to bring glory to their National Badminton Associations.
    True also for other sports,i.e. football,hockey,..etc
    .
    Agree with you. Tennis players deserve earn lots of $$$$$; simply because of their commitment to entertain us. Today, I just made a comment in another thread saying that;
    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    WOW...... So many withdrawals ???

    As a Badminton fan, I wish that BWF (or tournament organisers) will explain why the latest withdrawals.

    It's not good for some planning to get there to watch these players performing live, but finding that withdrawals were made at the last minutes.
    My comment was made when CLELY informed us about whom had withdrawn from the 2010 China Open SS tournament, which started today;
    Quote Originally Posted by CLELY View Post
    Some withdrawals according to ts.com latest updated :

    MS -- Peter Gade (DEN), Chetan Anand (IND), Tan Chun Seang (MAS)
    MD -- Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan (INA), Mak Hee Chun/Tan Wee Kiong (MAS)
    WD -- Christinna Pedersen/Kamilla Rytter-Juhl (DEN), Lita Nurlita/Saralee Thoungthongkam (INA/THA), Kim Min-jung/Lee Hyo-jung (KOR)
    XD -- Thomas Laybourn/Kamilla Rytter-Juhl (DEN), Shin Baek-cheol/Lee Hyo-jung (KOR), Shintaro Ikeda/Reiko Shiota (JPN), Joachim Fischer-Nielsen/Christinna Pedersen (DEN), Markis Kido/Lita Nurlita (INA)
    .
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 11-30-2010 at 06:21 AM.

  14. #626
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,847
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow Let's update regularly the BWF World Mens Singles Ranking before the 2012 OG

    .
    As we are getting closer to the 2012 Olympic Games, let's update regularly the BWF World Mens Singles Ranking;

    Processed on 02-Dec-2010, we have this Ranking List;

    1. Lee Chong Wei (MAS)........80487 points
    2. Peter Gade (DEN)..............68795 points
    3. Taufik Hidayat (INA)...........67592 points
    4. Boonsak Ponsana (THA).......53900 points
    5. Nguyen Tien Minh (VIE)........51845 points

    Lin Dan (CHN) has dropped out from the Top Five. He is now ranked No.7.
    Chen Long (CHN) is now ranked No.6.

    Also yesterday, Friday 03-Dec-2010, at the 2010 China Open SS Quarter-Finals, Lin Dan gave a walkover to Chen Long. This will allow Chen Long to move further ahead of Lin Dan.

    Source: http://bwf.tournamentsoftware.com/ra...ng.aspx?rid=70
    .
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 12-03-2010 at 10:18 PM.

  15. #627
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    icy cold place
    Posts
    3,778
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    .
    As we are getting closer to the 2012 Olympic Games, let's update regularly the BWF World Mens Singles Ranking;

    Processed on 02-Dec-2010, we have this Ranking List;

    1. Lee Chong Wei (MAS)........80487 points
    2. Peter Gade (DEN)..............68795 points
    3. Taufik Hidayat (INA)...........67592 points
    4. Boonsak Ponsana (THA).......53900 points
    5. Nguyen Tien Minh (VIE)........51845 points

    Lin Dan (CHN) has dropped out from the Top Five. He is now ranked No.7.
    Chen Long (CHN) is now ranked No.6.

    Also yesterday, Friday 03-Dec-2010, at the 2010 China Open SS Quarter-Finals, Lin Dan gave a walkover to Chen Long. This will allow Chen Long to move further ahead of Lin Dan.

    Source: http://bwf.tournamentsoftware.com/ra...ng.aspx?rid=70
    .
    LD reminds me of TH dropping into WR #8 when TH did not play much after WC05 ...there was much anxiety then as higher rank player may meet a strong TH earlier in the rounds. What if LD is in the same half as LCW and meet LCW in the QF, there may be more pressure on LCW and LD with a much lower ranking will have less pressure. Anyway I don't think LD will remain low ranking for long. I expect LD to play in all premier SS next year to regain his WR for OLY12.

  16. #628
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,847
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question 2010 Hong Kong Open SS: LCW-vs-LD at the Semi-Finals ?

    Quote Originally Posted by OneToughBirdie View Post
    LD reminds me of TH dropping into WR #8 when TH did not play much after WC05 ...there was much anxiety then as higher rank player may meet a strong TH earlier in the rounds. What if LD is in the same half as LCW and meet LCW in the QF, there may be more pressure on LCW and LD with a much lower ranking will have less pressure. Anyway I don't think LD will remain low ranking for long. I expect LD to play in all premier SS next year to regain his WR for OLY12.
    .
    At the 2010 Hong Kong Open SS to be held next week, all our Top 8 BWF Ranked Mens Singles players will be there. LCW and LD are in the same top half of the draw; therefore they could be facing each other at the Semi-Finals.
    .

  17. #629
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    icy cold place
    Posts
    3,778
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    .
    At the 2010 Hong Kong Open SS to be held next week, all our Top 8 BWF Ranked Mens Singles players will be there. LCW and LD are in the same top half of the draw; therefore they could be facing each other at the Semi-Finals.
    .
    IMO, if both meet in the SF, it may be better for LCW to meet LD in SF, then to play hard and physically worn-out against CJ in SF and followed by LD in the final as in AG10...the downside would be if LCW lose, his paycheck is less and less WR points.
    On the bright side, if LCW lose to LD in SF, he can have one extra day to go shopping and enjoy dim-sum in HK

Page 37 of 67 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Malaysia Open 2012: lee chong wei vs chen long video??
    By youngboy1984 in forum Korea Open / Malaysia Open 2012
    Replies: 22
    : 01-22-2012, 12:27 PM
  2. Lee Chong Wei = 2012 Olympics Gold?
    By socialpro in forum Malaysia Professional Players
    Replies: 33
    : 01-24-2010, 06:45 AM
  3. 2012 - The End of The WORLD?
    By george@chongwei in forum Chit-Chat
    Replies: 70
    : 12-02-2009, 12:06 AM
  4. World No.1 vs. No.2 (lin dan vs chong wei)
    By alfa2 in forum Professional Players
    Replies: 2
    : 10-09-2006, 05:52 PM
  5. Chong Wei is world # 1 again..
    By rlaurel_7 in forum Malaysia Professional Players
    Replies: 43
    : 09-05-2006, 03:31 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •