Any duties or taxes on goods imported into Singapore?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by taneepak, Apr 6, 2009.

1. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Is there any kind of import or other form of taxes on imports into Singapore? I understand there is a 7% GST but am not sure if it applies to imports. I was under the impression that Singapore is a tax-free port like Hong Kong.
    If there is some type of import tax, can you get an exemption for transhipments that land in Singapore but are then transhipped to a nearby country like Indinesia or Malaysia?

2. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    Ee Pak, transhipment in Singapore is duty-free.

If you are importing for local sales, then it depend what you are importing - some goods are exampted but some are not. It's better to check the Excise and Customs website to be more specific.

The 7% GST is for local comsumption of goods and services, it is not related to import tax.

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    My understanding is that Singapore has a 7% GST (Goods & Sevices Tax) that covers everything, including duties.
    Singapore imposes duties on only 4 categories of goods, which are alcohol, tobacco, cars and vehicles, and petroleum products.
    It then has an all encompassing 7% GST, which is levied and paid either at time of import or at time of consumption, the latter requiring special warehousing arrangements. Sunrise in Singapore probably uses the special warehousing arrangement to delay GST payment at time of import but will still have to pay at time of sale.
    Say if any one in Singapore imports shuttlecocks or racquets from another country, they are subject to 7% GST if the total value of the shipment on an CIF basis (cost, insurance, and freight) is more than S$400. A shipment of one carton of 50 tubes shuttles will cost more than S$400 CIF and will probably be subject to the 7% GST. This is what the Singapore excise and custom says. Perhaps this is why shuttlecocks in Singapore are not cheaper than in Malaysia despite its significantly lower shipping rates and faster turnaround.

4. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    You got it. Nothing is free in this world. ;) In malaysia, I was told that sports goods have some special exemption. So, some stuffs may be cheaper there. ;) It's just a case of price control/fixing from the seller. ;)

5. modious

modious Regular Member

Yeap, you are correct. Anything above S$400 will be taxed.

6. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    Yes, you are right Ee Pak, this is the description on the Singapore customs web page:

"All goods imported into or manufactured in Singapore are subjected to duties and/or Goods and Services Tax (GST)"

Apologies for my mis-information.

7. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    If you are planing to send your badminton goods from HK or China to Spore, for sure you can't escape the tax. However in some cases, the broker can somehow help the local importer to lower some "tax" cost. Yes i do agree that its cheaper to send to Malaysia instead.

8. Sean Lim

Sean Lim Regular Member

I'm planning to bring in shuttlecock with total cost close less than <SGD400 to avoid tax. However, if i were questioned for why I bring so much tubes, can I say for own use? Will they suspect? Anyone has experience of bring shuttlecock in bulk to Singapore and willing to share his experience?