Why isn't there much variety in badminton string materials?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Danstevens, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Hi guys, this is probably a really stupid question and I think I may know the answer already but why is it that in badminton, strings follow one of only a few basic formulas? You seem to get natural gut and then multifilaments with possibly a coating and that's about it. Tennis strings are completely the opposite, you get multis, monos, poly, kevlar, zyex, natural gut, synthetic gut, loads of stuff.

I have a couple of ideas as to why there is less variety in badminton strings. Firstly, certain materials poly and kevlar tend to limit power as opposed to being repulsive like normal badminton strings also, spin doesn't really play a big part in badminton so it's questionable as to whether polyester or (especially) kevlar would have any benefits anyway. My final idea is that certain technologies (zyex) are hard to scale down to badminton gauge right now. Are there any other reasons for this lack of variety and are there any badminton strings with a different composition?

#1 Danstevens, Apr 6, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  2. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Well there are hardly any variety in badminton racquet materials too; graphite...and the rest is just icing on top of the cake.

3. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

"If it aint broke, dont fix it?"

that seems like a good motto. badminton strings arent bad really. BG 80 FTW

Also, I believe that Ashaway was thinking about creating a Zyex badminton string. Search for it on the forum. I think Many Members tried it at one point

look here

#3 jymbalaya, Apr 6, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Of course badminton strings come in all the varieties that tennis strings enjoy but only the better ones are being used. Multie and monos and micros are common in badminton strings. Some Chinese badminton strings have monos-I offer such mono string stringing jobs for those who want repulsion but do not have stroke variety. All Yonex string are multies. Kevlar strings came out some years back but they were rubbish for badminton. There are natural gut badminton strings too. Some badminton strings are micros too; others come with vectran in a spiral.