Should type of shuttle (feather vs plastic) affect racket choice?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Mathieu, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Mathieu

Mathieu Regular Member

Student
    Ok this may look like a very weird question, but here it is:

I've been playing with plastic shuttles (Mavis 350) for 99% of the time as it is the shuttle used in my category for tournaments.

Lately, I've started to practice with another team (higher level) which uses only feather shuttlecocks (RSL tourney but i'm not sure). I've noticed a significant difference between the strokes (basically, feather shuttles don't ''Forgive'' as much when it comes to precison, and they seem to start with a higher initial speed but also slow down faster, which makes it easier on defence).

So here is the deal, I'm currently playing with a Yonex Isometric 65 MF light, which is 3U, Medium flex and head light. I was wondering if the differences between plastic and feather shuttles should affect my choice for my next racket. Don't worry, I won't change my racket JUST for that reason, but if I do change racket one day, I'd like to know if the type of shuttle should be taken in consideration.

I feel that the hardest shot to adapt to is the lift from the net and the service receptions, I don't feel like I am in control of the shot as much as when I play with plastic shuttles, is it because the feather shuttles are heavier, which makes the shaft bend more when the racket makes contact with the shuttle, or is it just because I need to get used to playing with feather shuttles?

Of course, I won't change my racket before I get totally used to playing with feather, and I'll try to do some tests to see how stiffness and racket balance affects my game, but I'm really interested in knowing what you guys think about this.

Also, the category above me (for tournaments) uses feather shuttles so, since I'm planning to change categories, I'll have to play with feather shuttles more and more.

Thanks alot!

#1 Mathieu, Apr 7, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  2. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

i don't think its racket as much as string tension. The bird will affect the string tension/feel moreover if its plastic, because of the flight pattern and weight differences.
    the racket should really make the difference.

3. Mathieu

Mathieu Regular Member

Student
    Are you saying that a higher string tension would lead to higher accuracy?

My string tension is currently 20 lbs, which seemed optimal with my playing style and shuttles. Would you suggest something like 22 pouds for feather shuttles?