Experiences with various shuttlecocks as a badminton club president

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by skuo2003, Apr 8, 2009.

1. skuo2003

skuo2003 Regular Member

Hi everyone, I would like to share my experiences concerning shuttles. I have been the president of our club for a couple years now (I am at a college badminton club in the US), so we always buy large quantities of shuttles at once (> 40 tubes). I will give a brief review of each of the shuttles we have tried.

Aeroplane EG1130: We have used these for the longest. When I first arrived (2006), these Aeroplanes flew with a nice, consistent speed, and were the most durable shuttles I have tried. However, we ordered these again in late 2008 and were very disappointed. These new Aeroplanes were very slow even with steaming the night before. Durability was worse. In addition to feathers falling off earlier, they also slowed down a lot faster.

Yang Yang 300B: Compared to the first batch of Aeroplanes (circa 2006), these (ordered in 2007) we felt were worse. The durability was worse than the Aeroplanes even though the flight path was consistent and speed is good. The feathers tended to fall off a whole pieces at once, rendering them unplayable more quickly than the Aeroplanes. But due to our disappointment with the new Aeroplanes, we have reordered these and we will be re-evaluating them.

Sosan Black Label: We only had a few tubes of these (ordered 2007), but these felt similar to the Yang Yang's in almost all aspects.

Wilson Top Line 80: Horrible, horrible shuttles (ordered 2008). These flew with a slightly different trajectory upon impact with the racket and it bothered everyone. Also, these made almost no sound no matter how hard you hit them. The feathers start falling off bit by bit, and really, after about 5 rallies, this just feels like a low grade shuttlecock, perhaps comparable to the Victor Gold, meaning these tubes are overpriced by about $5.00. We couldn't wait to get rid of them.

Yonex AS-30: (ordered 2008) These were good shuttlecocks with nice and consistent flight. They also tended to be slightly faster than any of the shuttlecocks we have previously tried. Durability was a slight issue as the feathers fell off pieces at a time, but this was without steaming. The durability of both this and the Yang Yang probably can be improved by steaming. The main problem is these tubes are slightly on the expensive side.

Pending reviews: Aeroplane G1130 (ordered 2009), Yang Yang 300B (ordered 2009)

First impressions of the Aeroplane G1130: After steaming, they are faster than the 2008 EG1130 (which were also steamed), but also also feels lighter. Durability seemed to be comparable, perhaps slightly worse. We have four more tubes of these, which we will use in subsequent practices.

Note: All shuttlecocks were ordered from badmintonalley.com

2. jckuo

jckuo Regular Member

Businessman
    Regarding Aeroplane EG1130, they should be the most durable and excellent flight shuttles in the market. We are selling Aeroplane shuttlecocks in Australia. We sell EG1130 at speed 78 and 79, and sell at least 4000 dozens per year (Totally around 12000 dozens for all grades of Aeroplane shuttles). One of our customers in Victoria (cooler area) purchases about 1000 doz (speed 79) annually from us since 2006. This club gave us an usage report few times and said the EG1130 is the only shuttle it has used for more than two years. It had used other brands such as Sealion, RSL; but their quality was not steady and became worst over the time.

I guess the possible causes happend to your EG1130 are -

1. Storage - The shuttles have been stocked for more than 2 years or were stocked in a hot area for too long.
    2. Wrong speed - lower speed (the speed used in hotter area, such as speed 77, or even 76).
    3. Fake ones.
    4. Shuttles for Chinese domestic use, not for export. Usually there is carton number such as 1 - 250, or 1 - 100 on the shipping carton for exported shuttles. If there is no carton No., the shuttles probably are for the use of China market and the quality is less reliable.

I have just visited badmintonalley.com and there is no EG1130 in its shuttle list. It may stop selling it.

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Demand for feathers by shuttle manufacturers is now increasing causing feathers supply to tighten in China. We may see prices of shuttles going up soon. If manufacturers stock too much feathers inventory this could cause some quality problem due to prolonged feathers storage.
    BTW, isn't speed 79 a bit too fast for Melbourne?

4. markache@hotmai

markache@hotmai Regular Member

I think the duck feather supply to tighten here. Because lots of foreign clients turn from goose shuttles to duck feather shuttles for economic reason.
    Some goose feather shuttle makers even want to export goose feathers..

5. thejym

thejym Regular Member

We are currently using EG1130 at my college badminton club here, but for us they work well. Actually, since we ordered them during the winter, we figured we would get speed 78 (instead of 77). Well, it's a bit too fast actually. So next year we will order a batch of 77 speed, and no one should have any complaints whatsoever. In terms of durability and flight, there are no complaints from anyone. We don't steam it because it is too much of a hassle.

6. melee

melee Regular Member

for me, the best quality/price choice is ChaoPai Red. The Aeroplane EG1130 is a little bit better than the ChaoPai in durability, but the price is over a lot.

7. dinitial

dinitial Regular Member

I've bought 50 tubes of RSL Tourney 1's last January. The durability is very bad. The tubes I've bought 2 years ago were very good.

8. skuo2003

skuo2003 Regular Member

thejym: Do you know where your club gets the EG1130?

Badmintonalley stocks them on and off, so sometimes they will have them in stock, and other times they'll be out of stock. I suspect the storage might have been the issue. It is actually hard to find a consistent speed for the shuttlecocks here because humidity changes drastically over the seasons.

Anyway, here is my experience with the Aeroplane G1130: Less durable than EG1130. Does not sound as crisp either. Also, as they break, they become faster rather than slower, like the EG1130, rendering the used G1130 as worse practice shuttles. (We typically keep a big box of used shuttles, and during warm-up everyone only goes for the used EG1130's.)

We now have a few tubes of Yang Yang 300B to test out again, and we will probably be deciding between these and the EG1130 to invest in for the next school year. So far, my impression of the Yang Yang is that they are comparable but at a slightly lower price, so we might be using the Yang Yang's next year.

9. zazaza

zazaza Regular Member

I.T related
    Have you try Yonex Mavis series? or any other nylon based?

10. skuo2003

skuo2003 Regular Member

Thanks, Fang.

We have probably thirty tubes of one of the Mavis series that are unopened because I don't think anyone likes playing with nylon shuttles. Since, we do get a bit of funding and we do a bit of fundraising ourselves, I don't seen why we would use them over feathered ones.

11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Re item 2, can you explain more? Are you saying speed 77, 76 are the wrong speed to use in hotter area or the right speed?
    Also, under what conditions are speed 76, 77, 78, and 79 used in Australia, including Sydney with a mild climate?

12. jckuo

jckuo Regular Member

Businessman
    Hi Taneepak,

Sorry! Speed 77, 76 are the slower speed and correct speed used in hotter area such as Sydney and Brisbane. Speed 78, 79 are the faster speed used in colder area such as Melbourne, Tasmania.
    However, we usually use speed 77 (here we call speed 50 in Australia) except in winter in Sydney. Some clubs in Sydney choose to use speed 78 (we call speed 51) in winter because speed 77 becomes too slow in cold weather.

13. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

In reality altitude has the greatest impact on shuttle speed because the higher the place the less dense the air. Temperature and humidity have a very small impact. I suspect speeds 78 and 79 may be slightly over the limit even for a hall that is not overly cold. However, for lower grade shuttles that cannot clear the BWF's shuttlecock speed test, I do recommend one speed faster than the norm. Speed 78 is for a hall temperature from 8 degrees C to 17 degrees C. Cheaper grade speed 78 shuttlecocks have no hope of reaching from one end to the other end, hence the use of speed 79. For a temperatures below 8 degrees C, then speed 79 is used. Do they play in badminton halls in Australia that are below 8 degrees C? That will be playing under quite extreme conditions.

14. jckuo

jckuo Regular Member

Businessman
    I agree with you. I understand altitude is important on shuttle speed. Actually, air density is the major factor to affect speed. There is less air on the mountain, thus the speed will be faster. Also the higher the temperature, the less dense the air and thus the faster the shuttle. In cold area or humid weather, the air density is higher so that the speed would be slow even they play inside the hall with higher temperature than outside. Nearly all our customer in Melbourne use speed 78's shuttlecocks although they play inside the hall. Our customer in Dunedin NZ even asked for speed 79.

15. skuo2003

skuo2003 Regular Member

Actually, I find that humidity (aside from altitude because I have never lived in places of high altitude) has the greatest impact on shuttlecock speed and it is actually the reverse of you described. In HUMID areas, the shuttlecock has more moisture in the feathers, making it heavier, thus the shuttle flies FASTER. Hence, a slower speed for the shuttle is desirable. In DRY areas, the shuttlecock has less moisture in the feathers, and therefore in addition to being lighter and slower, the shuttlecocks are also less durable (Note: steaming helps mitigate the effect, but cannot fully compensate compared to a humid day.)

I think the air density has a relatively small impact compared to the change in shuttlecock weight due to humidity. This effect in our gym is further exaggerated by the fact that our gym uses natural ventilation in the summer (making it extremely humid because it's not air conditioned) and the heater during the winter (making it extremely dry).

Here in Durham, North Carolina, we use speed 77 shuttlecocks for most of the year because it is relatively dry. However, during the summer months, it is hot and humid with frequent thunderstorms, and speed 77 feels too fast for our courts, so we switch to speed 76 shuttlecocks.

16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

In hot weather the temperature inside an indoor hall will vary with the size of the hall. Smaller halls with up to 4 courts will be hotter and larger halls with more than 6 courts will be cooler. High temperatures and high humidity make the air less dense. Water moisture from high humidity displaces air and water is lighter than air, hence the need for a slower speed.
    But temperatures and humidity have a much less effect on speed than altitude. At 600m to 1,200m the correct speed is 75; from 1,300m to 2,000m it is 74. More than 2,000m it may be hazardous to your health.

17. skuo2003

skuo2003 Regular Member

Yes, I know that's what theoretically should happen, but my experiences have shown otherwise. It does make more sense that a change in weight of the shuttlecock will affect its speed more than the air density, I think. At any rate, I certainly see a correlation between humidity, durability, and speed. (More humid = faster = more durable)

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    All the club organizers that i have talked to have said they have no problem with Mavis 300 and higher shuttles. No change in speed, quality, flight profile, etc since they started their clubs, some over 20 years ago.

19. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

The shuttle has a weight between 4.74g to 5.50g. You are right in saying that heavier shuttles, AOTBE, will mean a faster speed. In practice, it is possible to find a speed 77 tube of a dozen shuttles with weights ranging from 4.74g to 5.3g although its standard is 5.0g. The reason is that irrespective of weights, the ultimate qc test is the distance a shuttle can travel. Under conditions suitable for speed 77 shuttles, a speed 77 shuttle should travel a distance, using the BWF's shuttle speed testing method, of 12.41 meters to 12.87 meters. If your hall is suitable for speed 77 and your shuttles cannot reach the recommended distance then the reasons are due to either sub-standard shuttles or shuttles of slower speed. It is not possible for cheap feather shuttles to reach this distance, mainly due to geometry and materials shortcomings. In such a case you will have to use a higher speed shuttle than what is normal for your court, but its playability will tend towards plastics stroke making.
    Higher humidity means more moisture in the air in which the lighter water moisture displace the heavier air to reduce the air density, enabling the shuttle to punch through the air faster and it will also last longer, the degree of which is determined by how fresh or old the shuttle is.

20. chouchoo

chouchoo Regular Member

lol.... hello sidney and jimmy! I like how both of you are on the same thread =P Sidney you should try buying the ones I use, the yellow tubes. $16 and play very well, just like AS30s