Opinions on strings & tension for ARC 10

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Silver Bullet, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Silver Bullet

Silver Bullet Regular Member

Realtor
    I have tried the following strings all at 26 lbs on my ARC 10s:

Ashaway MicroLegend (0.69mm) - Cut it after 8 hours and I felt it was hard and had no control, a totally different feel from Yonex strings.[​IMG]

BG 80 - still using it, a bit too bouncy as my cross court drops all go too far now.[​IMG]

BG 85 - broke the string in 1 hour. Break was 2-3 inches from top of racquet.[​IMG]

NBG 95 - replaced BG95 with this. Feels great, not too bouncy.[​IMG]

I figure anything equal or less than BG85 in durability would not be good.
    Right now I am thinking NBG 95 is best in terms of power and control, for me. Just wondering if there is any other string or string / tension combo I should try. Thanks

#1 Silver Bullet, Apr 8, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  2. Silver Bullet

Realtor
    BTW I play mainly attacking doubles with plastic birds.

3. jebatdurhaka

jebatdurhaka Regular Member

so far .. i have tried my arc10 with these:-

NBG95 @27x29manual - very good power, but placement of the shuttle is not that good
    micropower(0.66) @27x29digital - very good power and control. so far so good for me ..

4. AZbadman

AZbadman Regular Member

Sales and Marketing
    I string mine at 24lbs with Black color BG-66. I love it!! Keeps the head lighter too:)

5. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

if you dont mind a lighter wallet, try an NBG 98 set up at 26 pounds. chances are you will like that as well.

as for BG80 being bouncy,:eek:

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i strung mine BG80@24lb .

whether too bouncy or not you just need to readjust your timing to suit it.

7. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    To adjust, hit lightly first to get the hang of it.

8. laivc

laivc Regular Member

Sales
    Agreed with jymbalaya, NBG98 is better than NBG95 in term of repulsion power, but have to give up on a bit of duribility. My Arc10's NBG98 is strung @ 25 lbs, will try 26 lbs the next time.

9. tq_23

tq_23 Regular Member

unemployed
    try BG66 Sharp at 25lbs Pre Stretched..NBG98 is great but abit slippery in my opinion..if u see the back of the packages for both of these strings..the chart is almost the same..price wise too..but the BG66 Sharp has more control and 'sharper' sound too..heee..

10. Jon5614

Jon5614 Regular Member

I had NBG95 @ 23lbs and it was good, but quite "average", nothing special (although it is durable). My Arc10 is currently being restrung, I was tempted by BG80, but heard BG85 was slightly more bouncy & feely (although less durable), so am trying BG85 @ 24lbs. Yours broke in 1hr? That sounds a bit like bad luck, it shouldn't be that bad...

BG66 would be good, but it's one of the least durable, so it's probably not for you.

A friend's Arc10 with BG80 @ 25 or 26lbs lasted many months, and he plays a lot, so it must be quite durable, but if you don't like BG80 as it's too bouncy I too would suggest NBG98. Though I haven't tried it personally from what I hear it sounds like a good option to try for you, it's generally considered a bit "better", but a bit less durable, than NBG95. But NBG95 is quite durable, so 98 should still be ok.

11. Silver Bullet

Realtor
    Thanks for all the input everyone!

I have been using my NBG95 for the last week or two and I think its more suitable for me than BG85, BG80. I may try NBG98 next at the same tension (26lbs).

I feel NBG95 has lost a little of its pop the last couple of sessions. Does anyone know how NBG95 compares to NBG98 in terms of holding tension?

12. BobbyGeneric

BobbyGeneric Regular Member

IT professional
    I would think both the 95 and 98 should be good at holding tension. I've just got some 98 and I'll be trying it this week. So far the strings I've tried on the Arc10:

BG65 - always a good standard. nothing really special but no complaints either.

BG65 Power - my favorite string to date. really opens up the power for me and the control/durability is comparable to BG65.

BG80 - I've used it extensively in the past but was quite disappointed with it on the Arc10. I only used it once and I think the tension was to blame - I normally use 26-28 lbs and this was only at 22lbs.

BG95 - Only used it once but both the control and power were an improvement over BG65. Power still wasn't as great as BG65 power and the durability was less.

Ashaway Microlegend XL - Tried a couple of times and it was a serious disappointment. The string was decent however it broke both times off-center, which I have done once using any of the other strings in the last 40 or so stringings.

I'm hoping the 98 is a good string but I'm a little worried about the durability being a .66mm gauge. As long as they last me two weeks I'm happy!

13. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

I'd think so too...

For me, the BG80 comes alive at above 24lbs (on my Cab30). The ARC10 seems to prefer a slightly higher tension so you may want to try BG80 at a higher tension.

14. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    BG65 works for me strung at 26lbs. Very durable aswell..im playing 6 times a week and both my rackets are still holding there tension well.

15. CYW2006

CYW2006 Regular Member

if want to stick to bg65...better strung more high tension coz it a quite thick string 0.70mm
    i had tried a few arc10 strung at 28x30lbs...quite good feels
    and if this tension strung with bg66 it will be excellent for repulsion and hitter sound...
    happy trying...

16. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    My favorite strings are BG85, BG80, NBG95, and BG65.

Try BG85 at 25X27lbs, great sound with great feel.

17. Silver Bullet

Realtor
    Final Result!

Decided to give BG85 a second chance and had it strung by a different stringer. Same tension at 26lbs and it has lasted 3 weeks with about 7 hours of play each week. Not bad!

After comparing NBG95 and BG85 (both on ARC10 @ 26 lbs) I have decided to go with BG85. It is more powerful and has greater feel, IMO.

So thanks a lot for everyones' input.

18. Alom

Alom Regular Member

You should try BG70 Pro. Great for plastics.