User Tag List

Page 105 of 131 FirstFirst ... 5 55 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 ... LastLast
Results 1,769 to 1,785 of 2214
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    yup. It's my 1st step preparation that kills the whole shot. I don't step back far enough with the left leg and then my right leg plants in the wrong position. Twin? Hey, cool except I'll be from a different millennium (
    I thought LXL was older than 13??

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    @Cheung

Here, an animated gif is worth a thousand words, and we can all learn from the best.

Please note the footwork into the corner, the lunge and planted racket foot (at strike to maximize weight transfer), the rotation on the non racket foot (to accommodate hip and shoulder turn), the pronation in preparation, the supination to strike, and the whip like looseness of the whole arm.
    Nice GIF of my kid brother. Seriously, your GIF starts a bit late. It doesn't show the left foot step and how it ends up pointing to the back of the court.

Nahh, I know the diagnosis - started the game too late and without coaching until adult life.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    Nice GIF of my kid brother. Seriously, your GIF starts a bit late. It doesn't show the left foot step and how it ends up pointing to the back of the court.

Nahh, I know the diagnosis - started the game too late and without coaching until adult life.
    Looks like your split step is a bit late compared to the sound of his strike, but that probably happens because his strokes are deceptive and he's several levels higher than you.

Footwork into the deep backhand corner, you probably know of the shuffles/chasses/steps. Tons of videos on youtube if you search badminton backhand clear.

One other item is it looks like you can do with more explosive strength from you legs. Do some plyometric exercises. It's never too late for this.

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com...exercises.html

Squat jump

Box jump

Split squat jump

Tuck jump

Bounding

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Played a tournament last weekend, and while the singles performance was nothing to write home about, the doubles wasn't too bad. Changing shoes also had a significant impact as I experienced much less heel/achilles pain compared to Saturday.....anyhow, here's the video of the 2 matches I recorded. The third we won as well, but sadly, we didn't make it out of the group - only the first pair in each group advanced, and in our group, all three pairs shown in the video had an end result of 2:1 matches, 5:3 games. In the end, our opponents of the 2nd match topped the group with a point balance of +15, compared to our +12. The third pair (under normal circumstances the best of us) had +4.

On the center court, we're starting on the right side. I'm the tall skinny guy

In the corner.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This video was taken under a year ago but didn't have time to upload it until now.
    Not my best play neither is it me playing at my latest.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

j4kie, watched the 1st game, nice play! Although it seems you all play a rather passive game - e.g. when you're at the net, you stand very far, also there were some loose shots from the opponents on which you could've easily pounced on and scored a winner. Just my opinion.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swunk View Post
    j4kie, watched the 1st game, nice play! Although it seems you all play a rather passive game - e.g. when you're at the net, you stand very far, also there were some loose shots from the opponents on which you could've easily pounced on and scored a winner. Just my opinion.
    Yeah, I'm working on that. Still have trouble pouncing on loose net shots and committing to the kill. No training this week though - gotta cure my Achilles tendon first. Another tournament coming up at the end of June with a similarly strong lineup though, so I hope I can get into form until then and take a bit of footage there as well.
    Thanks for the feedback

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

j4ckie,
    both you and your partner played well, but your partner needs to seriously improve his low serves as they're way too high

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is me playing last monday. What am I doing well, what am I doing badly?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j4ckie View Post
    Played a tournament last weekend, and while the singles performance was nothing to write home about, the doubles wasn't too bad. Changing shoes also had a significant impact as I experienced much less heel/achilles pain compared to Saturday.....anyhow, here's the video of the 2 matches I recorded. The third we won as well, but sadly, we didn't make it out of the group - only the first pair in each group advanced, and in our group, all three pairs shown in the video had an end result of 2:1 matches, 5:3 games. In the end, our opponents of the 2nd match topped the group with a point balance of +15, compared to our +12. The third pair (under normal circumstances the best of us) had +4.

On the center court, we're starting on the right side. I'm the tall skinny guy

In the corner.
    Hi j4ckie, why did you guys keep rubbing the shoe's sole ?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Henzington View Post

you need to play with somebody who can hit the shuttle more than two times without it falling to the floor.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    j4ckie,
    both you and your partner played well, but your partner needs to seriously improve his low serves as they're way too high
    Yeah, but he's had that problem since I know him (2,5-3 years). The serve has vast potential for technical improvement - but I don't know how well he'll take it if I tell him that. I'll try in a training session next week, though

Quote Originally Posted by quixilver View Post
    Hi j4ckie, why did you guys keep rubbing the shoe's sole ?
    Because they weren't grippy enough. The hall was not perfectly clean, so you kept getting dirt on them, and the floor is just a bit slippery even in perfect conditions. Wiping the sole both removes some dirt and because my hand is sweaty makes them a bit sticky with the moisture. I could also wipe them on my calves (in training, I often do), but those were too sweaty (would've made my shoes slippery again with too much moisture).
    Quite useful if you play on a slightly slippery floor

Thanks for the feedback
    Last edited by j4ckie; 06-12-2013 at 06:19 AM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Henzington View Post
    Well, I'd start with getting the grips down correctly. Your forehand grip is turned too far towards panhandle, while your backhand isn't turned far enough towards the backhand grip. Also you'll need to keep the wrist either straight or flexed backwards on backhand shots, not flexed forwards as you currently do. The wrist contributes next to no power, and flexing it forwards is always risking injury in badminton or tennis.

Next would be footwork and overhead drills. You don't turn your body into overhead shots, which is probably one of the reasons you play with a (slight) panhandle grip. Watch some videos, practice the motions without a shuttle to get it down. A (good) coach would be most helpful as he can correct you while you learn, preventing you from learning faulty technique (and correcting is way harder than learning it correctly in the first place).
    Footwork should be done with a coach supervising as well - 6 corners without a shuttle. Get down the correct patterns, and use your left arm to keep your balance instead of keeping it in the same place all the time.

I think that's enough to work on for the next months

PS: If you watch videos to learn, do NOT follow Coach Lee's advice on anything overhead. The rest I've seen is quite helpful, but anything he teaches about overhead shots is based on wrong technique (panhandle grip, no pronation).

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j4ckie View Post
    Yeah, but he's had that problem since I know him (2,5-3 years). The serve has vast potential for technical improvement - but I don't know how well he'll take it if I tell him that. I'll try in a training session next week, though
    Even easier in training session. Just say you need to practice serves. Then when it's his turn, it'll be easy for him to notice. He's otherwise a very good player and this is his most glaring weakness that cost your side many points from what I see in the video.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing is that he'll basically need to re-learn the BH serve. The way he plays it it's practically impossible to get a good, accurate consistent low serve. Well, I'll just ask him
    Second weakness of his is the defensive play. He's always very committed to one side, cost us another couple points. My weaknesses are up for discussion

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah, BH serve is very important in MD and is worth learning to do properly. The way I do it (and see pros do it) is to think of it not as hitting it over but *guiding* it over the net with a short grip.

And serves are the easiest shots to practice and drill... don't even need a partner, only a dozen birds and a court.